Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jupiter M3ti's and room size - 02/20/05 02:10 PM
Greetings oh Axiom users,
I'm shopping for a Cdn-made product to replace my (blush) Radio Shack specials bought when we were married 32 years ago.
Room size is 16x12 (feet). Frankly, I find the towers intimidating and poss. too big for the room, so was looking at the M3ti, 'tho should I be looking at the M22s?
Advice always welcome
Posted By: Ajax Re: M3ti's and room size - 02/20/05 02:54 PM
If you're looking at just 2 speakers for music (i.e no sub, center, or surrounds), and floorstanders are out, then the M3s would be a good choice.

If your intent is to have a 5.1 surround setup for music AND movies, and floorstanders are out. I'd lean toward the 22s, with a VP series center , and QS series surrounds.

Either speaker would benefit by having a sub paired with it, even if you intend to stay in a stereo configuration for music alone.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M3ti's and room size - 02/20/05 04:25 PM
Next question after room size is usually what you're going to be listening to -- movies vs. music, what kind of music, how loud, etc...

Welcome to the board !
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: M3ti's and room size - 02/20/05 05:52 PM
Hi Jupiter.

Nothing wrong with some of the early Radio Shack speakers, Axiom even manufactured some of them, Merak I believe was the name.

If I was just looking for stereo without a sub I think I would go for the M3s. I heard then at Replay electonics in Toronto a few years ago and was very impressed by the sound.

If, as Jack said you want to expand into HT (eventually with a sub) I'd go with the M22s.

Just my $0.02
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: M3ti's and room size - 02/20/05 07:13 PM
An even simpler question is whether you prefer either a warmer or cooler sound? The M3s would be the warmer and more relaxed sound while the M22s are a bit cooler and sound slightly foreward. They reportedly have about the same tonal characteristics, therefore a similar Axiom Sound.

A very inexpensive way to get into 5.1 would be with five M3s.-something that's even been suggested by a couple of "Professional" reviewers.-Just a thought.

Rich
Posted By: Jupiter Re: M3ti's and room size - 02/21/05 12:26 PM
Surround sound/movies is not the goal, and frankly, I'm a bit old-school: I want a couple of speakers, not a bunch of pieces that I have to site in the living room. As for warm/cool sound, I guess we're a relaxed music couple: Stan Rogers, Loreena McKennit and St. Germain, altho Holst's The Planets is great to crank when I'm alone and doing the dishes.
For speaker historians, the old speakers are MC-1500 Oiled Walnut Speaker System, Cat. No. 40-1982. Freq response 40-20,000 Hz and Impedance 8 ohms.
© Axiom Message Boards