Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TNTguy Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 11:24 AM
Just wondering if anyone here is a big Journey or Def Leppard fan. I am really anticipating getting M60s but am curious how Journey and Def Leppard sound on the M22s/60s/80s. I have lots of different music but I listen to those two groups regularly. Would the M50s be a better match for them? I don't think either group has very many remastered CDs out there. And honestly with the lack of quality all my previous speakers have been, I really have no idea how good or bad they could sound on the Axioms. I noticed in the "best rock albums on your M60s/80s" thread, there was alot of awesome rock that I like, but no mention of Journey or Def Leppard. Just curious if anyone could give me any feedback.

Posted By: snippy Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 12:27 PM
Wow, not a fan of Whitesnake or Poison? Sorry, this thread made me laugh, alot.

Adtually, Poison's 'Every Rose has its Thorn' sounds amazing on my M22's. Journey sounds OK, I would be curious to hear how the Journey SACD's sound.
Don't quote me, but I think I read negative reviews somewhere of a Journey SACD. I wouldn't have minded the B.O. on SACD, but I'm definitely learning that just because it's an SACD doesn't automatically mean it's better... or even good for that matter unfortunately!

My gut feeling is that neither group is going to "shine" on the 60s and that the M50s might be a better choice.

This is NOT based on experience, though, just the fact that I've read that M50s are not really "as demanding" of good engineering in the recording.

Hell, actually, I guess I have nothing "concrete" to add at all!
>>Hell, actually, I guess I have nothing "concrete" to add at all!

But you still have a great avatar...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 03:25 PM
What has 9 arms and still suc... oh, hell... never mind.

Oounten gleetin glounten globen.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 03:26 PM
Ow...

I'd probably lean towards the M50s for that stuff. (not certain, I don't have any of it), but judging from the 80s stuff I do have, the M50s handle it a bit better than M22s.
In reply to:

Oounten gleetin glounten globen

does that mean anything? what language is it, if any. i have always wondered what the deal with that was. as a kid, that was just the que to go crank up the stereo.

"I GOT SOMETHIN' TA SAY!!"

bigjohn
Posted By: chs4 Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 05:09 PM
In reply to:

does that mean anything? what language is it, if any. i have always wondered what the deal with that was. as a kid, that was just the que to go crank up the stereo.

Since you asked...

According to the "official" Def Leppard FAQ at defleppard.com:

WHAT DOES "GUNTER GLIEBEN GLAUTEN GLOBEN" MEAN?
Nothing in particular (although the band sometimes jokingly claims it means "running through the forest silently"). It's gibberish said by producer Mutt Lange during the recordings of "ROCK OF AGES", instead of the regular one, two, three, four.

the mystery is solved!!

thank you..

mutt lange, husband of shania twain.... bastard!!

bigjohn
Some how this just does not seem right. Every sight I check (yeah google) has Gunter glieben glauchen globen as the words he speaks. Gunter is a male name. Glieben is not a german word and neither is glauchen. Globen is the plural of globe. So it could have something to do with Gunter's "globes", but where glieben/gluchen come from I have no idea. I always thought it was something like "Guter blieben Gott geloben" The good (people) remain in God's glory" or something like that.
I was a head banging german scholor in college..... That and friday nights with beer, friends, and well other 'stuff'.

jr

(edited part) Obviously I created meaning where there was none. Even as an athiest I like mine better.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 05:39 PM
In reply to:

mutt lange, husband of shania twain.... bastard!!

You forgot the word "poor"... poor bastard.

Bren R.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 07:52 PM
So you are then a disciple of Udo and Accept?
As well as the Schenker brothers?
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 07:56 PM
Actually, I love Whitesnake and Poison. Great stuff. I just listen to alot of Def Leppard and Journey.

I think I still want the M60s though. If I want to blast the old "crappy 80s recordings," I guess I can do that on a different system.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 08:18 PM
Aw, man... what's wrong with the 50s?
I'll pull out my Journey and Def Leppard cd's this weekend and give em a blast through my M60's! Haven't listened to these cd's for a while. My wife loves Journey. I'll report back with my observations etc.
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 09:00 PM
Thanks Rock....would be much appreciated.
i was listening to my journey greatest hits at work, and i would say that most of the newer songs will sound great. a few of the early recordings, which include 'Lights', 'Wheel in the Sky', 'Lovin-Touchin-Squeezin', and 'Any Way You Want It', arent the best sound quality. but, all the others, which is essentially all their recordings from the ESCAPE album on, should sound pretty good.

BTW- i still think FRONTIERS is one of the better albums out there.. just great songs.

bigjohn
Posted By: BrenR Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 09:26 PM
In reply to:

Aw, man... what's wrong with the 50s?

Ken, Ken... you've been around long enough to know the Axiom pecking order:

M2s - I'm a poor student or I have a mortgage and family that I care about and actually purchase food for.

M3s - They're only $20CDN more than the M2s, but... but... that mysterious 6.5" woofer - that can't be good, the M22s use 5.25"s, those must be better. Yes, let he who hath understanding reckon the Number of the Beast, for it is a human Number, it's Number is six-point-five.

M22s - the flagship bookshelf. It's the biggest I can buy, this is the Axiom bookshelf, baby. Well, until they make a bigger one, then I'll get that.

M40s - the tower version of the M3 - evil, only taller.

M50s - like an gangly siamese twin M3 in tower form!

M60s - yeah, baby... I want the coolest tower you guys have... big, man, BIG... what? The M80s are 4 ohm? Lets see, 4 / 3.1415 x 2 channels ^ 42 to the power of current... carry the one... oh hell, gimme this 8 ohm sucker.

M80s - Fear and loathing in Dwight, ON.

VP100 - I have no joke here.

VP150 - Centre, man... there is a fire in my soul that can only be quenched by more centre. Fire this puppy up with a pair of M2s and... invent 3 channel mono?!?

QS4s - surround sound... yeah, hey, waitaminute... 4.5" woofers? Nothing else in the product line uses a 4.5" woofer - what did these do wrong? Or are they just so special they get a woofer all to themselves? Or is it short-bus special? Aww, hell...

QS8s - yeah, that's the shizznit... a 5.25" woofer, those are common among the other speakers in the line. So the power handling is matched only by the M80s? I'm all about overkill... and that sweet, sweet 5.25" woofer.

EP Series - this one's mathematical:
*square footage of room* x *current bank balance* / (*length of wedding tackle in inches* x 425) =
*rough estimate of EP #'d sub to buy*

Single guys - multiply by 2. Single, ugly guys multiply by 3.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 09:31 PM
Boy, that just sums it up, don't it?

VP100-What? There's a VP one hundred?
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 09:38 PM
Bigjohn....I agree with you on Frontiers. That and Escape are perhaps Journey's best. Good to hear the newer songs should sound good. I think the new Journey greatest hits compilation "The Essential Journey" 2 CD set was remastered. I thought that the previous Greatest hits single cd was remastered as well. I wonder how much of a difference there is between the remastered sound and just the regular versions...just because on my cheapo set up now, I wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
That was brillant. And I'll take my x3.

jr
In reply to:

M3s - They're only $20CDN more than the M2s, but... but... that mysterious 6.5" woofer - that can't be good, the M22s use 5.25"s, those must be better. Yes, let he who hath understanding reckon the Number of the Beast, for it is a human Number, it's Number is six-point-five.

You're just waiting for someone to say "Dot Five", aren't you?
aww man! don't start THAT mess again!! LOL
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/04/05 11:22 PM
watch it, or Bren might have to draw his point-380 Walther PPK on you!
Posted By: Zarak Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/05/05 03:20 AM
Back to the Def Leopard for a minute...I always thing it's funny that after the "I've got somethin' to say", the next line is "It's better to burn out, then fade away", when fade away is exactly what that band did.
Hey I road a short-bus

And have M50's
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/05/05 09:03 AM
Actually, Def Leppard still puts out some good music. Nothing will ever replace the pop-metal sound of Pyromania or Hysteria, but their stuff in the last few years is pretty good. "Slang" (1996) their only venture into grunge rock was pretty good I thought, and "Euphoria" (99) and "X" (02) were good also. Euphroria sounds like a more mature 80s sound, and X is a more mellow sounding Def Leppard. I still like the new stuff. Check them out. You might be surprised.

Of course, I am a little bit biased.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 03/05/05 04:40 PM
I figured they broken up years ago. I haven't heard anything from them in a long time. I did like their older stuff...in fact, they were the first concert I ever attended.
Quick report for ya. Def Leppard (Greatest Hits - 1980 Vault 1995) and Journey (Greatest Hits) sound really good! Steve Perry's voice is very smooth, Neal Schon's guitar is smokin and Steve Smith's drums are solid. I was surprised at how good the Def Leppard cd sounded. I hadn't listened to it on the M60's yet. These old bands sure bring back a lot of memories. I was listening to some Motley Crue the other day and the bass and drums were unbelievable. If you can swing it, go for the M60's.
Cheers,
Shaun
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 06/27/05 10:14 PM
Just wanted to revisit this thread from a wee bit back. For anyone who cares, I heard the Leps say on Rockline last week that the two new greatest hits albums "Best of Def Leppard" (European/Japan 2 CD set) and "Rock of Ages" (North American 2 CD set) are remastered. I can confirm. I have both releases (just a few different songs each from the 34 tracks) and they sound excellent (The band didn't mention which, if any, other albums have been remastered FWIW). The European release has the new "Waterloo Sunset" track that is an incredible song IMO. On the North American version you have the added song "No Matter What" which is also an excellent song. Both songs will be on the new "Covers" album released in September. The album, I believe is composed of older non-Def Leppard songs that have been "Leppardized". Judging from these two tracks, sounds like it will be very good.

Also I have been playing some remastered ACDC and it sounds really great. "Thunderstruck" is particularly impressive at loud volumes . Also some Dr. Feelgood remastered. Some really great remastered stuff out there. Just a heads up.
Obviously a lot depends on the recording, but I'll try to help out. I graduated high school in 85, and I've been to a few Journey and Leppard concerts. I saw Billy Squier and Def Leppard once in concert back in the early 80's, there was so much smoke (and it wasn't dry ice ) in the air, I was an early recipient of second hand pot Anyway, I've listened to a lot of Journey and some Leppard on my 60's and I think they sound fine. One thing I've noticed is you don't hear a lot of lowwww sub frequencies, as some of my other cd's, but it still sounds very good.

By the way, Rush, Dokken, ACDC, Bad Company, Boston, Foreigner, Ozzy, Fleetwood Mac, Lynyrd Skynard, Queen, Kiss, Scorpions, Sammy Hager, REO Speedwagon, etc......
sound good as well.

Randy

60's 150 350 4-qs8's
denon 2805
panasonic s97s hdmi dvd player
sanyo z2 projector
samsung HD tuner

Wow, talk about flashback.

Too bad I don't have my old Def Leppard (Pyromania), Metallica (Kill 'em all BABY!), Saga, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue LPs, since I've started to go back to LPs. You'd never guess my listening background since most of my music now is based around R&B/Neo Soul.

I also graduated in '85 and remember seeing some of Randy's recommended bands live, such as:
Metallica/Motorhead at the Stone
Quiet Riot
Motley Crue
Dokken
YNT
Dio (Post Black Sabbath)

Posted By: shaned Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 06/27/05 11:22 PM
I can speak to the Def Leppard part. I just got some 60's a while back. I went out and bought some new cd's. The results were that the new Nine Inch Nails cd has a HORRIBLE sound. Lots of static and garbage. The same with Marilyn Mansons greatest hits. NOT the cd's to check out sound quality. I then put on Def Leppards greatest hits, and crnaked it REAL loud. It sounded GREAT! You will be very happy with their sound on 60's. I also have a pretty strong amp and was driving them hard. Can't speak to Journey, not really a fan.

Shane D
There will always be a place in my heart for Metal baaaaby. Actually, I just went and saw Montley Crue a few months ago, as they were visiting Iowa on tour. I saw them back in the late 80's, it was so loud that there was a guy behind me who's ear starting bleeding, I said dude you better get outa here and go to the emergency room, he said "totally awesome..." I guess he was doing his best Jeff Spicolli imitation, ha. I used to love Dokken, the original Dokken before Lynch started the Lynch Mob and him and Don Dokken actually got along

I do like all music, except Rap. Well I guess I used to listen to a little Run DMC and Boogie Boys back in College, but that is about it. I like everything from the oldies, 50's, 60's on up to today. I'm a big Dylan fan, have most of his albums (cd's)

Oh yeah, and I was at the concert where Ozzy bit the head off of a bat, after that the rest was history. I heard after the concert he went to an emergency room to get rabies shots....

I ran around a lot with a crowd that was about 3 years older than I in High School, so I guess you could say I was like Willey Wiggens in "Dazed and Confused" only nobody gave me the paddle
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 06/28/05 07:44 AM
Boogie Boys of Beastie Boys?
Hi Randy:
Are the "Crue" worth seeing on this latest tour? I heard that they are coming out with a concert DVD at the end of the tour.
Cheers,
Shaun
Watch the Crue? I'd rather keep the image from the 80's rather than see a bunch old geezers in leather jumping around in between breaths on an O2 tank...
X sounds pretty good to me on my system. So does the new Scorpion’s CD – Unbreakable.
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 06/29/05 07:52 PM
Ah, The Scorpions.....haven't heard them for awhile. I think "X" is a pretty good album. The first part is a little too pop rock oriented for me but the second half is great. Four letter word and Scar are the best on the album IMO.

Most of the Journey I have sounds pretty good. I think nearly all of their albums underwent a remastering in 2002. I haven't done an A/B (maybe I should ) against the earlier albums, but the new ones sound really good.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 06/29/05 11:08 PM
It's been a long time since I've been rocked like a hurricane, probably due to the winds of change.
Are those winds of change children by any chance?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 06/30/05 12:49 AM
Yes, now I only get rocked like a rainshower.
Shaun, well I can say I enjoyed seeing them back in the late 80's much better. I went to college at UNI (University of Northern Iowa). The concerts were in our UNI Dome, which is where all the football/basketball games were played. They still did pretty well, but it was not the same as when they were in their prime. I think it was still worth going to see though...
this latest CD isn't bad at all, quite good actually. it was a welcomed surprise after the one before it. i don't even remember the title of that one.....it took a one way trip out the window half way through the third song.
Randy:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably go with one of my concert buddies. I won't be able to convince the wife to attend "The Crue"!
Cheers,
Shaun
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Journey/Def Leppard on Axiom M2s/22s/60s? - 06/30/05 07:48 AM
I am a die hard Def Leppard fan, so I loved Euphoria as well. But it's a combination of the grunge sound of the Slang album, mixed with their classic 80s sound. Kind of an acquired taste I guess. I really am looking forward to the Covers album as the two songs I have heard from it sound excellent. I would love to catch Da Leps as they are touring with Bryan Adams this summer in the "Take Me out to the ballgame" promotion/venue but the closest they will come to me is about 500 miles away. Bummer.
© Axiom Message Boards