Axiom Home Page
Ok guys upgradeitis has crept back in again and I need some input from all the experts. I know this isn't really an Axiom question but I am a certified "Axiomite" and would like your input. I am the proud owner of an SVS 20-39 PC+ for about a year and a half and have it matched up with Axiom M60’s, a VP150 and three QS8’s all powered by an Onkyo 601. I have been very pleased with the overall performance of everything since it’s all been in place but after reading some of the reviews and comments about the SVS PB12-Plus/2 I have been bouncing around the idea about upgrading to it and selling my 20-39. My room size is 20x20 with a vaulted ceiling from 8 to 13 feet with only one opening to another room. The 20-39 has had NO problem performing up to my expectations but as you know what I am up against – wondering what would the PB12-Plus/2 offer over my existing 20-39? My movies/music ratio are 50/50 and from what I am reading the PB12-Plus/2 covers both areas nicely. I have read that many 20-39 owners have moved up to the PB12-Plus/2 and have felt it was money well spent. I LOVE the low end that my 20-39 gives me now and can only imagine what the PB12-Plus/2 would add. I bought my Axioms and the 20-39 solely based on users input without even hearing one and figure this one will be the same. I trust everyone’s knowledge on this board and look forward to your thoughts..

Regards…
Rick

Rick,

I am in a similar situation only mine is created by my wife. We are building a house that has a 20 X 20 great room with one opening into another room...our ceiling, though, is vaulted from 11 to approximately 20 feet (two story house).

I currently have a 20-39 PC+ but she does not want the "big black tube" in her new house...she wants something that looks like an end table in Cherrywood. Cool, I thought...A way to upgrade...

I wrote to SVS and had Ron reply with the replacement suggestion being a PB12-Plus/2 as he said it would it would serve my purpose as I have grown accustomed to the power that it provides in the 13 X 18 room with 8 - 10 foot vaulted ceiling...not to mention, it is one of the two SVS boxes that come in the Cherrywood finish ...will match closely with my Warm Cherrywood Axioms.

So I am in a similar situation and am "planning" on "upgrading" to a PB12-Plus/2 in Cherry. With Ron's blessing to the decision, I don't think either of us will go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Live from Austin, Texas.

WhatFurrer
Go for it I did and havent looked back.. This is one fantastic Sub..
I wonder how the SVS PB-12 Plus/2 compares to the similarly priced Axiom EP500. That would be a great match up. Also throw in the HSU VTF3 just for kicks.
I don't know about the others but the SVS PB 12plus/2 Has a 900 Watt BASH Amp.. Twin 12 in. super high capacity woofers and are tuneable from 16 to 20 to 25 Htz by tunable ports. I love mine.
koiman
Everytime I look at your signature. I think to myself
HMMPHHH!

Do you do auditions?
Bray,
Upon Occasions..
"Almost" makes me wish I lived in california.
Thanks guys for all the input. After a couple of emails from Ron I decided on another 20-39 PC+. I really like the look of the cylinder over the box subs and think I can get another PC+ placed easier than the PB12 due to its size. Ron suggests co-locating the mate (which I think I can make room for) with it's twin so I won't have to deal with any phase problem.

I asked Ron about the +6 db gain I read about when you co-locate the two side by side and he mentioned it gives you a better dynamic range over just having one.

I placed my order this morning and should hopefully have it later this week.

Thanks again guys and look forward to becoming a twin sub owner!

Rick

© Axiom Message Boards