Axiom Home Page
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 05:42 PM
My fronts are Mansfield Beech w/ black grilles (changed from Gold) in order to match my new Salamander and the black bezel of my plasma.

What do you think of the rears? These are all in the same room but the eye would never seem them in one shot. Full pics when I get my center grille...

Stay w/ gold and don't match the fronts

or change to black to match?

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 05:47 PM
i am sure the black grills on the fronts have a great flow with the other things to accent them.. but, i think they are some what distrating on the surrounds. so, for my .02 cents, i would go with the gold grills on the QS8's. but, i am no interior decorator, so take it with a grain of salt!

BTW- cool clock.. i love that old retro looking stuff!

bigjohn
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 05:59 PM
i prefer it without the black.

they stick out less
Posted By: bray Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 06:17 PM
I agree.
I left my Qs with gold, fronts with black.
I think the black draws to much attention.
Posted By: DL30 Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 06:46 PM
I agree with the gold consensus.

On a side note - you must have a HUGE dog if it eats off of the mantle, especially if it's still a puppy!
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 06:52 PM
Gold grill are must less noticeable...

Go with the Gold.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: BrenR Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 06:53 PM
I leave the gold woofer grills on to keep dust out, and remove the tweeter grills.

Bren R.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 07:09 PM
I say pink grills... blends with the clock better.

Go for the gold. It looks nicer.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 07:11 PM
just had to be different, eh?

dont you have a tractor to fix or something??

BTW- i hadnt taken the grills off my 60's in a long while, and i had to yesterday, and i forgot how awesome they look without them. i wish my wife would let me keep 'em off, but there is no way.. plus, i reckon that is a good thing with a new baby fixing to be up and walking around. oh, and the reason i took the grills off... i was cranking some early van halen, and i thought one of the tweeters sounded blown. i got real scared and took the grill off to investigate.. then, once i turned the volume down, i realized the static i was hearing was coming from the baby monitor in our bedroom that had been left on.. whew...

EDIT- no pink. its been done..

bigjohn
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 08:20 PM
Thanks fellas. I thought the same too. The monochrome seems to look a little better.
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 09:06 PM
Personally, I think both look great. I know it's not much help, but you could go either way.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 03/31/05 10:34 PM
Put me down for the gold grills. I like the monotone too...
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 12:57 AM
I'd get rid of the clock .
Posted By: bray Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 02:14 AM
"I'd get rid of the clock ."

If you do, be sure and send it to me.
I LOVE IT!
Posted By: PaulM Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 06:06 AM
Not that I mean to highjack this thread, well maybe I do.

You got me thinking. I've got factory outlet M22's, a VP100 and QS4's (actual may change it the 8's tomorrow) that won't be sent out for about another week. Cause we have a fair bit of dark oak furniture and mahogony trim, I ordered everything in Boston cherry. But now that I've read this thread it occurs to me that maybe I should change the colour of the surrounds to Mainsfield beech with gold grills. That way they won't stand out on the beige walls.

What do you all think? Will it look goofy with cherry mains and centre with beech surrounds or not. I'm not decor literate so your thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul
Posted By: bray Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 03:43 PM
If it were me I would stick with what you ordered.
Contrast is sometimes a good thing. Chances are you are'nt always going to have beige walls either.
Posted By: ramzing Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 04:23 PM
We got the beech with the gold grilles because they went with our lighter furniture. I we had darker wood on the furniture we would probably have gone with the darker cherry.

Gold grilles seem to blend more smoothly into our setup.

Just my $0.02

ramzing
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 04:42 PM
Paul,

I did the same thing that you are thinking of. I have cherry up front, maple in the rear. the maple are nearly off-white (whatever that means...) I bought white grills for the QS8s and slapped em up on the wall. They are my own little "custom" job. I find that they blend into the walls better than a black or cherry speaker would, and are therefore rated much higher by the wife.

Here's a pic - sorry for the size.

rear full

QS8 single

rear again

fronts (nudity)
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 04:59 PM
Hi Paul,
I've got Boston Cherry as it matched the rest of the furniture in the room. The QS8s look just fine, actually MORE than fine Introducing another colour treatment into the room would have been a mistake for us.

More important IMHO is to hide the wire.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 05:01 PM
I also prefer the black, it draws less attention and is a better match with everything else I can see in the photo.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 06:25 PM
hmmm, those white grilles look nice.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 06:29 PM
Paul, I had a similar issue when I ordered my Salamander rack. I ordered Mansfield Beech because it was similar (not the same) as the floor. The M22's sat on white shelves so the difference between the floor wasn't noticeable.

When I decided to go w/ a Salamander, I went w/ Maple, thinking that I could place the M22's on top of that. Wow, that looked HORRIBLE. 3 slightly different colored wood pieces right on top of each other, it made my eyes go crazy. Hence, the reason for a black salamander and black grilles.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 06:32 PM
LOVE my clock too. Very retro. Got it at Chiasso and a sale price, something under $30 I think.

Chiasso

It's my poor man's attempt at:

Nelson clocks
Posted By: bray Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 09:42 PM
Do you know what Heywood Wakefield furniture is?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 10:02 PM
Strangest thing. Normally, images load from the top down. For some reason, all the images linked in your post loaded from the bottom up for me.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/01/05 10:36 PM
Never heard of Wakefield but it looks pretty cool. Very eames like and retro.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Speaker Decor Thoughts - 04/02/05 05:42 PM
i like the black grills
but then again im not big on having the speakers be stealth. i want to see what i paid for.
also my ht is dedicated so not much waf to deal with. also a lot of the paint/trim combos in my house are contrasting so i guess its what i like.
© Axiom Message Boards