Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 07:23 PM
I didn't want to hijack OldSchoolBoarders thread regarding grill colors, but wonder about the grills on/off option. It seems like many people prefer them off. My take is that although Axioms are as good looking as any speaker with the grills off, the "grill on" look is much cleaner.

What do you think?

Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 07:28 PM
I like them on - my wife suggested when we bought them that she liked the grills off, but I think it looks less flashy, more refined and more finished with them on.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 07:56 PM
In my soon to be done new HT room the back wall will be black to draw attention to the screen, I figure the black grills will help remove attention visually from the speakers.
Posted By: nautec Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 08:05 PM
grills prevents kids, friends, neighbors, and pets from punching in the woofers.
Posted By: DallasAxiom Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 08:09 PM
To me, Axioms with the grill on makes it look pedestrian - just like any other speaker. Axioms don't exactly have cutting edge external design

Maybe because I'm in my 20s...I like to be a little more flashy lol...
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 08:21 PM
On. Why? Cause to a 2 year old, it looks like buttons that need pressing...
Posted By: ringmir Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 08:40 PM
On...for safety. If I were living alone with no pets, I might leave them off though. Or, take them off from time to time if I wanted to go for the techy look. (ie: show off)
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 08:43 PM
Two very rambunctious Golden Retrievers, tails in all directions...'nuff said.

Grills On!

"Beware...Dog can't hold it's licker."

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 08:55 PM
Most of the time they are left on. Only when I have guests who haven't seen or heard my M60's do I remove the grills. In addition, my 10 month old son is crawling now and he hasn't figured out (yet) what the speakers are. I don't want to encourage those little hands in any way possible!!!!
Posted By: MiniRock Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 08:59 PM
Heh, the last time I took the grills off was to take a pic for my Web page. That was several months ago. It's not something I have really cared about since my late 20's. Maybe Dallas is on to something.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 09:23 PM
I'm really surprised at the answers thus far.
I thought I was in the minority, because I always heard comments like "Those grills belong in a closet"!
Posted By: nautec Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 09:36 PM
I just cringe everytime i go to best buy or circuit city and see all the tweeters and woofers bashed in. Looks great with them off but unfortunately we all live with pets, kids, and idiots.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 09:49 PM
pets, check.
kid, check.
idiot, ???

I know what you're thinking.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 10:20 PM
theres an old poker saying,

"if you dont recognize the sucker at the table, its probably you!"

bigjohn
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 03/31/05 10:23 PM
oooohhh, John... I'm soooo sorry!

I forgot to tell you. There was a previous poll taken prior to this one and it was decided that you should not be allowed to vote on any topic having to do with grills.

Again.... sooooo sorry.

Bah-Buy now!

Posted By: rmhalljr Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 04/01/05 12:50 AM
I like my speakers like I like my women...NEKKID!!!!
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 04/01/05 12:56 AM
Actually most women, and speakers, look better with a little something on.

I prefer mine on so they disappear when watching movies.
Posted By: donjuanmiguel Most of the time on - 04/01/05 02:39 AM
I'm not in my 20s anylonger, wife sure is glad of that, and so most of the time the grills are on. Wife and I like the clean look as they don't draw too much attetion to themselves in the formal living room. However, when I find myself alone in the house, I pop open a XXs (not in my 20s so this means beer), take the grill off and let them flex. Ahh, the good life...
Posted By: bray Re: Most of the time on - 04/01/05 03:13 AM
" However, when I find myself alone in the house, I pop open a XXs (not in my 20s so this means beer), take the grill off and let them flex. Ahh, the good life... "

A couple XXs and a not so quiet time......PRICELESS!!!!

Posted By: ramzing Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 04/01/05 04:13 PM
On most of the time. Off when it's time to show off and take pictures!
Posted By: Amie Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 04/03/05 03:59 PM
Our centers and surrounds - always on. The M80s - 50/50. We keep them on for parties, off for 'audio friends'. The EP600 - we can't bring ourselves to put the grilles on. It's just mesmerizing to watch the woofer during music. Maybe we should tell Microsoft about it and they could add it to the skin options for Windows media player! My fave is the Yo-Yo Ma / Bobby McFerrin collaboration - the woofer is amazing during some of the runs.
Posted By: Stimpy1 Re: POLL: Grills on or off? - 04/04/05 06:25 AM
Suprised by the results. The Axioms I have look better with the grills on and to my ear don't sound any different with them off, so they never come off.

Focus Audios sound better with the grills off. But they only come off when listening.

2 kids, 4 cats and 2 dogs! You can be sure they go right back on after listening.

Maxx
© Axiom Message Boards