Axiom Home Page
Posted By: csmith Axiom custom finishes and pics - 09/25/05 09:39 PM
Hey guys. I'm back..been a while. I'm nearly ready to get some new speakers, replacing my B&W 601's. I had a mental war going on between axioms and rockets and had pretty much settled on the rockets. I got some finish samples from axiom, and while they were nice, the onix stuff, I felt, was a little more polished. But then I found out about these custom finishes for $95 more per pair....now, I think I've swung back over to Axiom. Well, I want floorstanding and when you add tax to even their cheapest speaker, I find that I could get Axioms plus a custom finish for cheaper. I don't have a lotta dough to throw around. So, I'm looking at M50's (possibly M60's) but was wondering if anyone has any axioms with custom finishes, and if so, what are your thoughts? I can't quite tell, but the custom finishes seem to have a bit more of a lustre to them (the normal ones, not the high gloss) even though they are described as "matte." But, online photos are what they are (pretty small, not detailed, no environment) so it's hard to tell. I was wondering if anyone could a) comment on their custom finish and b) share some pics if they have a custom finish. Hopefully that's not a lot to ask. If so, sorry to make you work.

Along those lines, what's up with a pic forum here? That is, why doesn't one exist? There should be a forum for members to show off their Axiom set ups. I read that there's a lot of proud owners out there.

Thanks in advance. I hope to join the axiom family soon.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom custom finishes and pics - 09/25/05 09:54 PM
>>Along those lines, what's up with a pic forum here? That is, why doesn't one exist? There should be a forum for members to show off their Axiom set ups. I read that there's a lot of proud owners out there.

There is... it's just not run as a forum, probably for historical reasons. It's called the "Wall 'o Fame", is accessed by the link further up the page, and pics are posted there right now by emailing them to Amie who checks the pics for dust and empty beer cans before posting

Posted By: richeydog Re: Axiom custom finishes and pics - 09/25/05 10:08 PM
In reply to:

and pics are posted there right now by emailing them to Amie who checks the pics for dust and empty beer cans before posting

John, you failed to mention "soup cans" in your description.

Its been a while since I browsed the wall of fame... the Raven Manor is stunning...also love Madpuppys gig.

I do think there should be a better way to show off individuals' home theaters but don't have the slightest clue on what ideas to suggest.
Posted By: csmith Re: Axiom custom finishes and pics - 09/26/05 12:36 AM
Wow! Thanks a lot for the link. Some of those rooms look incredible. Color me green with envy.

Now how 'bout those custom finishes? Anyone? Beuller?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom custom finishes and pics - 09/26/05 01:04 AM
>>John, you failed to mention "soup cans" in your description.

Wow, I need to update those pictures. I had just picked up the A/V receiver but didn't even have a center channel when those were taken, let alone soup cans... ahem, I mean QS8s.
Posted By: Montclair Re: Axiom custom finishes and pics - 09/26/05 07:01 PM
I have the Sorrel Pear custom finish on my speakers. It’s still a vinyl finish, but it is much better than I ever expected it to be. They hold up pretty well next to my wood entertainment center and my Rosewood Rocket sub’s. The Rocket Rosewood is richer, but depending on the surroundings, the Axiom matte custom finish is convincing as wood.

If you are serious about the custom finish, your best bet is to have Axiom send you a sample. The web images don’t get the colors quite right. I spent a few weeks with the sample sitting on the entertainment center in different light to decide if it was right for me.

Posted By: dllewel Re: Axiom custom finishes and pics - 09/26/05 08:26 PM
Thanks for the compliment richeydog. People come over and say wow when they see the room, but when they hear the speakers they are speachless.
Posted By: Jrain Re: Axiom custom finishes and pics - 06/01/06 12:18 PM
What's the appeal of the custom finishes? I'll probably order some samples, but for example, would the "Ebony" custom finish (vinyl) be nicer than the Black Oak standard finish? Likewise, is the vinyl "cherry" finish better than the stock "cherry" wood finish?
© Axiom Message Boards