Axiom Home Page
Posted By: aabouganem Advice on ICBM - 10/01/05 07:42 PM
Guys:

I have an Outlaw ICBM, and even though that helped me so much in my setup, I cant get rid of the humming noise. I was told by Outlaw that I need to change the wall transformer, and I did, but the noise is still there.

Do any of you had this issue and fix it? I am fedup with the outlaw board, they are not helpful at all.

Any hint for this??

Thanks
Posted By: Wid Re: Advice on ICBM - 10/01/05 07:56 PM

Are you gettig the hum from your sub only or is it in the main speakers as well ?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Advice on ICBM - 10/02/05 05:07 AM
Yes, Alberto, as Rick asked, describe the hum in more detail(e.g. where and when). This may be a ground loop which isn't necessarily only related to the ICBM. We can try some detective work when there's more info to work with.
Posted By: aabouganem Re: Advice on ICBM - 10/04/05 02:33 AM
Well, I already went through all the conections, with sub and without, with monster power and without, etc.

If I take the ICBM out of the line, then the humm is barely listened (need to push my head in the speakers to hear it); That humm is produced by the NAD T163 after the V2 upgrade, and I have no idea why, and the NAD dealer says that did not hear anything in his shop.

If I put the ICBM back again, then I can hear the humm from my listening position and at listening volume levels. Some record are really affected becacuse of that. I have a Beethoven CD that is recorded very quiet, and I need to put it around -5 to -10dB, and then the noise is very audible, and disrupt the nice experience (yes, I listen to clasical music at high volume..)

But latest news: the 500mA fuse was burnt: it was raining and the power went off, when it came back up, I think that the surge in the new transformer was too big and was the cause (I have surge protection, but the normal transient of charging the primary of a transformer it could be enough , i guess) The new TRX is bigger, a 2.4amps capable, when the standard one was 300mA capable. I have not idea what happened next, but the ICBM is not powering up...

I change the fuse for a 500mA, 250V as the original one, and now the ICBM, as soon as I plug the cable into it (TRX already connected) the fuse burnts instantaneously, I can see the spark!!!... I changed it 3 times for new one...

This just happened today. I need to contact Outlaw tomorrow.

Cheers
Posted By: JohnK Re: Advice on ICBM - 10/04/05 03:35 AM
Okay Alberto, we asked for more details, but frankly I got lost trying to follow the "upgrade", new transformer, fuse, etc. You have excellent equipment which wouldn't seem to have needed any "upgrade", but I can't even guess if that has anything to do with the hum.
Posted By: aabouganem Re: Advice on ICBM - 10/04/05 06:47 AM
Sorry for that...

The wall transformer was changed because in the Outlaw forum, some people with humm problems, either found a better transformer or bought an isolator transformer... That is why i changed mine, but the problem of the fuse is happening even with the old one.

The "upgrade" thing, is about the NAD T163, that I got just the software upgrade but not the hardware upgrade (to DPLxII). After the software upgrade, a humming noise appeared that I did not notice before. Sound strange, as software should not create noise, but I can hear even when the processor changes modes, something that I did not hear before. Before the upgrade the processor was dead silent.

Anyway, the T163 "upgrade" is not related to the ICBM noise I hear. So no need to go into the detail. Of course if other T163 owner have similar problems, it will be nice to hear from them.

Thanks.
© Axiom Message Boards