Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PaulG Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/03/05 11:09 PM
Anyone that has specific experience with this guy or even better with the combo please shoot away. I have a dealer who will let it go for $999 CDN here in TO!

My system is Front 60 still may upgrade to 80 not sure yet HELL of a time deciding if I should, QS8 side surrounds, 150 center, 350 sub and m3ti rears. Also would be interested to see what you recommend for connecting config of this system for the best output.

He also has a 1066 which is bridge capable but not sure that this one is as well> I mean the 1075?

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any better ideas I don't mind spending a couple hundred each way> not that it ever goes the (-) way

Oh and the receiver I am using is the yammie HTR 5760> yes a little bright (very clean and clear type of bright) and I do mean only a little which is great for all the stuff I listen to + it's a nice combo with all the Axiom speakers I just picked up. They seem to be in harmony together.

Your comments are appreciated, thanks in advance!!
Hey Paul there is a bunch of Rotel/Axiomites around here, I'm suprised they have not responded yet My understanding is that it is a great combination...

Randy

Posted By: Wid Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 12:18 AM

We do have a good bit of us that run Rotel equipment with our Axioms.I have no experiance with the model in question.I do know that the RB 1080 sure does a great job with the M80s.
I was thinking Spiff may have that model.
Posted By: Wid Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 12:42 AM

I do believe he does.
Posted By: RickF Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 01:51 AM
The 1075 is the 5x120 wpc amp. The 1075 will be very capable of driving the 4 ohm M80 speakers with no problem.

*But*

If you'll be running a 7.1 system I'd almost forgo the 1075 and opt for a 2 ch 200 wpc (300 @ 4 ohms) 1080 to run the M80 mains and use the 120 wpc(?) Yamaha receiver to drive the surrounds. That would make a killer system! *But*, that's me!

I was thinking Spiff had a Rotel receiver? I'm almost sure Thyname does. I'm not familiar with the 1066, it must be the predecessor to the 1068?
I have Rotel/Axiom combo for my stereo and sound really, really great!!! See my sig below. Rotel multichannel separates would be killer as well, I assume. However, the latest pre/pro or 7 channel processor is RSP-1068 and not 1066 (older version). Or, if you have 3k you can get top of the line 1098 7 channel processor/preamp!
I almost forgot: I know you have got a great deal on 1075, but I would also suggest you have a look at RMB-1077 It has just come out recently, digital amplifier 7X100 wpc, and retails for USD 2500. I was a little bit skeptical on digital amplifiers, but then I read some great reviews from some people at Club Rotel, whose opinion I appreciate. Of course, never had the chance to listen to it myself. Check it out if you have the money.
Posted By: PaulG Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 04:31 AM
One additional thing, do you guys think I will see the benefit of amplifying all the speakers except maybe for the m3ti I use for the rears?

And if so, I thought I read a thread or reply to one about how much watts ideal for feeding into different speakers or something like that about the ideal ratio of power (not volume) between main to center to surrounds and rears etc. I could be wrong not sure that it was here but maybe? You guys have been arounf much longer so I guess you will point me in the right direction if so be.

The discussions was not based only on watts but that's all I can recall right now.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 04:58 AM
Paul, since from what you say your 5760 has more than adequate power for your setup, you'll get no real benefit from adding a separate amplifier which will simply provide unused headroom. If whatever discussion you refer to wasn't based only on watts it may well have involved some overactive imaginations.
Posted By: PaulG Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 05:06 AM
The receiver is actually 95 per channel and not 120 as someone noted, I guess that makes a small difference but my understanding is that the amps generally show a big improvement especially in the lean and thin on the higher end areas. Now this is not my personal experience and that is why I am here
Posted By: JohnK Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 05:34 AM
Paul, this is one of the areas of audio where we have to wade through a sea of mythologies which have no factual basis. These "big improvements" you may have read about(often extravagant language such as "huge", "night and day", etc. is used)tend to disappear when the listeners actually have to "trust their ears" in a controlled blind test. An example is the Stereo Review blind testwhich has been cited here before, and which enraged some audiophiles, but opened the eyes of others who were able to get their heads out of the sand. Note how the typical descriptions of clear differences heard before the test disappeared when the labels and price tags disappeared.
Posted By: RickF Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 08:28 AM
If I were running a 7.1 channel system with a set of 4 ohm M80 fronts and had thoughts of spending money on a 5 channel amp I was simply suggesting that instead of spending the money on the 5 ch amp I would spend the money on a very well capable 2 ch amp to drive the 4 ohm speakers.
I'm also not suggesting, nor did I mention that you'll hear 'huge' and 'night and day' difference but I will tell you that this particular 2 ch amp *will* take a burden off of receiver by running the 4 ohm load of the M80Ti's.

I'll eventually go separates for everything in my HT 'type' room, why? Because I *personally* like it that way.
I am not sure for HT, bur from my experience with stereo, I noticed a great improvement going from a receiver to separates. I had before a Rotel stereo receiver. It is not only a matter of more power (watts) but also separation of function, leaving the power duties handled by a power amp, and processing duties handled by a preamp.
Posted By: RickF Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 07:17 PM
Here is an article by Axiom's Alan Lofft regarding separates....Going The Separates Route.

Posted By: PaulG Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 08:59 PM
Thanks for the article I found it very interesting. My new outlook now will be to get a solo amplifier only if I do upgrade from the 60s to the 80s mostly for the purpose of driving them as I keep hearing that the yammies do not hold the 4ohm load as good as some others and again this is not my personal experience rather the hear<>say. Actually come to think od it I was running some other 4ohm speakers with this unit witn no probs whatso ever but than again they were much smaller and less powerful etc. Also according to some reviews I think all or most of the new yammies actually do not have any problems with the 4 ohms at all and it's more like a old habit to say. Hey if I knew evrything I would not be here! (I like that saying)
Posted By: Wid Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 10:28 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to discount what a good high powered amp can do for a system.I for one have been running seperates for nearly 20 years and would never go back to a receiver.For one you really never know if the power that is stated for a typical receiver is actually what it has.In most cases it only has a fraction of what the manufactures state.In contrast most seperate amps are pretty much dead on when it comes to the stated specs. Also I keep hearing that most people only use a few watts of power at typical listening levels, well I guess I don't listen at " typical levels ".I do listen to my music at pretty high volume, most if not all of the time.I do feel more comfortable knowing the amp I bought really has the power to perform without hesitation or failure when I really do need the power.
Posted By: RickF Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/04/05 11:13 PM
Another interesting read, quite subjective as well.

Separates vs Integrated

Personal preference!

Posted By: PaulG Re: Need your advise on YAMAHA MX-830 - 10/05/05 03:50 AM
Anyone here have input on this amp? YAMAHA MX-830

Info is worth more than money sometimes!

Paul
<<The receiver is actually 95 per channel and not 120 as someone noted>>

Rotel lists the 1075 as 120 per channel. Is the 95 from a review?
Sorry for the delay guys. Yep...I do indeed have the RMB-1075 running my Axioms. Love it. Unless you have a large room, with good depth behind the seating area, I'd stick with 5.1, especially with the qs8's as surrounds.

If you do opt for 7.1, I'd look at getting an Odyssey Stratos to run your M80's. If you email or call Klaus (better to call, he's not much of an email kind of guy) he will quite often have b-stock units available for FAR under msrp. The electronics are 100%, but the case may have a scratch or two.

A good idea would be to start with the RMB-1075 and 5.1. See how you like that. If you really feel the need to try 7.1, you can hunt down a deal on a Stratos and add that to the mix. If 7.1 doesn't blow you away, the Stratos will likely hold nearly 100% of it's value and you can re-sell it. That's what I ended up doing. I hated to let the Stratos go, but 7.1 in my room simply wasn't worth the added expense. I ended up selling the Stratos and moving the M2i's that I was using in the rear up to my computer room. It all worked out for the best. 1) I finally was able to hear 7.1 for myself and decide I didn't need it. 2) I was able to hear and enjoy the Stratos, which I'm sure I'll own again someday. and 3) I LOVE my M2i's in my computer room.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/05/05 07:42 PM
Those things are gorgeous. Wish I could rationalize one...
Posted By: PaulG Re: Need your advise on Rotel 1075 with Axiom - 10/06/05 04:52 AM
Hi there, you missed some of the thread the 95 was intended for the Yamaha receiver. What I meant was that the yammie was 95w/channel and not 120/channel

X 7 channels BTW
© Axiom Message Boards