Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak Buying a HDTV - 10/06/05 01:07 AM
I haven't done much looking, so I am not sure how much, if anything is out there with these requirements, but here is what I am looking for.

HDTV 50+ inch
Prefer DLP, but LCD could be ok too.
under $2000

Anything good out there in this range?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/06/05 01:11 AM
Front Projection
Posted By: Ajax Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/06/05 01:24 AM
You might find a lot of information here.

Down The Line: 2005 HDTVs
Posted By: JohnK Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/06/05 04:30 AM
Jason, this fits your specs.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/08/05 03:10 AM
I just bought a new 60" Sony SXRD after researching HDTVs for the past 6 months. It is about double your price range.

Considering your specifications, I believe that you will be constrained to one of the 720P HDTVs not one of the new 1080Ps. I would strongly suggest that you go to a couple of stores and look at the difference between the 720s and 1080s. As the screen size gets bigger, the difference between them is bigger. I can even see it will my tired, old eyes.

I would also suggest that the newer electronics and light engines in the 1080s is something to consider.

In any case, go look at a few different brands with different technologies.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/08/05 03:14 AM
Ratpack.

Congrats on that new purchase. Haven't seen your avatar for a few days. Been watching that new Sony? You'll have to fill us in with a review.

I like my Sonys. 32 CRT and 42 Plasma.

Just read you don't have it yet. Did you order local or online?

Is it this Sony KDS-R60XBR1?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/08/05 07:30 AM
I just saw this new Sony at the local tv shop and was extremely impressed. If 40" is big enough, and you don't insist on 1920x1080 resolution, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer set. It had a nicer pq than nearly everything else in the store.

Posted By: ratpack Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/08/05 01:51 PM
Bug: I have been out of town for the past 7 weekends so I haven't had much time to visit the boards during the week. It never ceases to amaze me how much time I spend doing things around the house, yard, cars, wife, daughter, etc.

I don't actually have the new Sony yet. They told me that it was shipped last Monday, so, I expect to receive it sometime this week (if all goes well).

As you know, I came within a "frog hair" of buying a Samsung, but I had a few "issues" that I just couldn't resolve.

At the risk of sounding a little impatient (I have been in the market for a new TV since last February), I have NOT seen one of the new Sony SXRDs yet. I've viewed the Sammy and Mits, but not the Sony. There isn't one to be seen here in town. I REALLY wanted to see one, in the flesh, first, but I just got tired of waiting. The deciding factor was that the new user reviews were different with the Sony than the Sammy.

Here's hope'n.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/08/05 01:52 PM
spiff: I ordered the 60".
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/09/05 04:16 AM
60"????? Where'd you see that?

I'm not talking about rear projection. That 40" is wall mountable.

Posted By: Zarak Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/09/05 06:39 PM
This is why I am looking at waiting until August to get one. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the price range I am looking for yet for 50"+. I would like 1080p, but it is not mandatory. I would expect that by August prices will have continued to drop and I should be able to get what I am looking for at a good price.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/10/05 09:31 PM
Rat?

My plan is for next Spring. I'm saving my pennies now, and hopefully with tax refunds, and a work bonus (hope, hope) we'll be in 50+ inch HDTV glory.

Posted By: ratpack Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/11/05 03:06 AM
This is the one that I ordered from Shopsunshine on Sep 30.

"Sony KDS-R60XBR1 60" Grand Wega SXRD™ HDTV."

Still waiting to receive it.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Buying a HDTV - 10/11/05 04:10 AM
Nice.

© Axiom Message Boards