Axiom Home Page
Posted By: slownlo Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 03:12 PM
I figured I'd stop by and see how the old gang is making out? Who still has this mass market garbage in thier systems?

My system: Shanling SCD-T200A, Magnepan 3.6QR's, Rogue Audio M-150 monoblocks, Signal Cable Power/Interconnects.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 03:16 PM

Posted By: RickF Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 03:21 PM
Troll

Dang, their goes the neighborhood. My property value was just starting to go up ;(
Guys, We need to understand Slownlo. If YOU spent $4000 on a speaker with THIS frequency Response (that is the Magnepan 3.6/R from Stereophile's measurements), you would be angry, too ...

Posted By: MJS Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 05:40 PM
ugh...the troll has been fed.

/Jack
In reply to:

ugh...the troll has been fed.

It just seemed as if a small amount of truth might cause Mr. Lo to ease up a bit.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 05:46 PM
Haven't been around the net long, Mr. Sub?
I have, on occasion.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 08:13 PM
EEEW UGLY graph!
Uh oh! Lowslocrap should have gotten the Axiom M22s.

or if he wants to spend some money, some Thiels

This is all very constructive, guys.
In reply to:

This is all very constructive, guys.

Not really - but it is 44 degrees and raining. We needed SOMETHING to do.
Posted By: RickF Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 10:04 PM
In reply to:

Not really - but it is 44 degrees and raining. We needed SOMETHING to do.

Good ol' 'Dreary Erie'!

It's 88 degrees and we're hunkerin' down for a weak (hopefully) hurricane our way Craig....I wouldn't mind having some cooler weather. Bring it on!
I actually love this weather - tonight, da Missus and I are going to dinner in a 200 year old, lake view mansion-turned-dinner club. Good food, a great cigar area, charm, and a roaring fire.

Life is good - plus my speakers don't have a 30 dB swing in their response ...
"Life is good - plus my speakers don't have a 30 dB swing in their response" --------------------------------------- because you didnt spend enough money you fool
Actually, My $4500 Energy Veritas 2.4i's look like this :

See ? Spending over $4k does not mean you are assured of that high end, 30 dB swing. It takes careful shopping to achieve that !

Hi Craigsub

Did a bit of browsing and found these MB Quart Vera VS 1F

Anyone ever hear a pair of these?
2x6 - I have heard some MB stuff - but don't remember if it was that exact model.

As an aside - the Maggies DO sound a lot better than that graph would suggest. I only posted my opening salvo here because the O/P was being such a ... you get the idea ...
Posted By: RickF Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 11:10 PM

Posted By: RickF Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/22/05 11:21 PM
Crapiophiles

What the hey...it's Saturday night.
Google quoth :

Your search - crapiophiles - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
- Make sure all words are spelled correctly.

Ah...Veritas. Love 'em. I'm imagining some day owning a home with a dedicated HT room. That room will be all out Axiom. Then in the living room I'll have a simple two channel setup. Likely with a pair of Veritas.

I guess I gotta work on getting a house with space for dedicated theatre first though, huh?

The closest real word to 'crapiophile' I could come up with was 'coprophile' -- but that means something else entirely. Hot carl, anyone?
Posted By: RickF Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/23/05 11:26 AM
Wow...

That good!

Not bad coming from a 'crapiophile' expert, I would say!

Posted By: Ajax Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/23/05 01:39 PM
OOPS!

Nice find, Rick!
Good one Brotherbob....I've found many of his posts on other boards as well, it appears Mr. Sweetnlo, opps I mean Slownlo has multiple personalities.
(Burp)!

"Taken on its own, however, the Magnepan Magneplanar MG3.6/R is a sensational speaker, and, at $3750/pair, very reasonably priced. In some respects it's the best speaker I've heard, period. Even in the areas where it's perhaps not the very best, it's awfully close—even when the very best is several times more expensive. Some speakers I admire, some I like...the Magnepan MG3.6/R, I think I'll keep. Very highly recommended."

Thanks for understanding!

Main Entry: facetious
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: kidding
Synonyms: amusing, blithe, capering, clever, comic, comical, droll, dry, fanciful, farcical, flip, flippant, frivolous, funny, humorous, indecorous, ironic, irreverent, jesting, jocose, jocular, joking, joshing, laughable, ludicrous, merry, not serious, playful, pleasant, punning, ridiculous, salty, sarcastic, satirical, smart, sportive, sprightly, tongue-in-cheek, waggish, whimsical, wisecracking, witty, wry...etc.

Is anybody hear going to Vegas for the CES?
Did anyone see game 1 of the World Series last night ?
Hey Craigsub,

What do you have for a source, amplification?
The game was a lot of fun. Bobby Jenks was tossing 100 MPH fastballs, there was good defense, clutch hitting. This series is shaping up as a classic.
The frequency graphs you guys noted are response in a anechoic chamber at least for the Axiom's plots. The Stereophile plots are based on there main listening room. I'd like to see Stereophile plot those same Axiom speakers in that same room to get a real comparison on the other speakers.

This is how your M60 graphs in some of your rooms.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Advice&Number=78892&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1
So in a perfectly dead absorbing room you may get a flat frequency curve.

I have tried plotting my old Maggies speakers when I did have them. It was close to more flat in MY room...with a small bass hump at around 70-80hz

Saturn - from the review :

In reply to:

Fig.3 Magnepan MG3.6/R, anechoic response on-axis at 50", averaged across 30 degrees horizontal window and corrected for microphone response, with the complex sum of the nearfield woofer and midrange responses plotted below 300Hz.

These were anechoic measurements that Stereophile posted.
http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/303/index6.html

The level mismatch between the midrange diaphragm and the ribbon tweeter is still evident, but I wonder how this will manifest itself at a normal listening distance. (Circumstances dictate that I use a 50" microphone distance for my acoustic measurements.) The logistics of the magazine's relocation to New York meant that I could not perform in-room measurements in BD's listening environment, but I suspect that the MG3.6/R's behavior will be better behaved in a room.

Then the graph you quoted follows this statement and not in a anechoic chamber.

I am not bashing any brand. I love experimenting with diferent type of speakers over the years including Axioms. But I find it ironic the people who do own Axioms are bias themselves and that they bash other brands too.

For instance the comment on the Maggies (and I don't own one now so I really dont care) that the frequency response for the Maggies is not flat in a anechoic chamber proving to you guys that Axioms is superior but the Maggies are not because it is not flat. But then a Axiom owner on this site actually recorded as in home response and it doesn't come out as flat as the anechoic results.
In the end it is really how the speakers perform in your environment. Graphs and measurements are a great start but not the means to say that it brand A is better than brand B because of frequency response charts.
Just to add.

As I have written before in these pages, measuring physically large speakers with in-room quasi-anechoic techniques is in some ways a fruitless task. The usual assumption, that the measuring microphone is very much farther away than the largest dimension of the speaker being measured, is clearly wrong. Yet without access to a large anechoic chamber costing many hundreds of thousands of dollars, in-room measurement techniques are all we have to rely on.—John Atkinson

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/303/index7.html

The remaining was edited because upon re-reading it, it was too mean ...

Axiom builds an very high quality speaker, especially for the price. You just won't see Axiom owners going into a Magnepan thread and posting BS about Magnepan products.

Are we clear on this ?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/23/05 04:23 PM
CRYSTAL!

It was mean, but accurate.

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.........;)
CES About the Coalition of Essential Schools

Vision - We envision a world in which all children receive the nurturance, guidance, and resources they need to reach their fullest potential.

http://www.essentialschools.org/pub/ces_docs/about/about.html

I can think of a few troubled youth that should attend.
lol!!!!
Definitely clear boss.

Hey didn't you say you were going do a review comparison on the EP600 vs HSU VTF3 vs SVS Ultra-2...or did I just miss that thread?

In reply to:

The remaining was edited because upon re-reading it, it was too mean ...

Axiom builds an very high quality speaker, especially for the price. You just won't see Axiom owners going into a Magnepan thread and posting BS about Magnepan products.

Are we clear on this ?

In reply to:

Hey didn't you say you were going do a review comparison on the EP600 vs HSU VTF3 vs SVS Ultra-2...or did I just miss that thread?

I already did the comparison between the EP-600 and the PB12-Ultra. The other comparison will include the VTF-3 HO, which has yet to be released.

For some side info - other speakers in our home beside the Axiom M80's are Energy Veritas 2.4i's, Paradigm Studio 100 V.3's, ACI Essence V's and Emeralds, and over the past 12 months, we have had Onix Ref 3's, Rocket RS-1K's, Infinity IRS Sigmas, Klipschorns, and several other systems.

My statements regarding Axioms are due to experience with dozens of speakers - not looking at graphs.
hey craig,did you put the m80s next to the 100s?if you did ,what did you think?
Aren't Magnepan's made of sheets of plastic. I know of a use for plastic sheets and listening to music or movie dialogue isn't one of them.
rcvecc - I haven't done any blind A/B tests, and won't until after the GTG we are having here in November. Comments will have to wait until then ...
Ok guys. Criticising the Magnepans is pretty silly unless you've heard them. The handful of times I've heard Maggies, I have been impressed, but I've never A/B'ed them against other speakers. That being said, my M22s impress me to the same degree, even though they are completely different beasts.
Peter - the criticism of the Magnepans was ALL followed by a smiley. As in humor. Lighten up...
humor can be silly, can't it?
In reply to:

I'm imagining some day owning a home with a dedicated HT room. That room will be all out Axiom. Then in the living room I'll have a simple two channel setup

That is exactely what I plan to do when I have my own house in a few months. I am done with the wedding since two weeks ago (yes, officially married now), and that is my next big project.

Congratulations and regards to the Mrs!
oz
I hear congrats are in order.....CONGRATS

don't worry it will go by fast, I've already been married for 13 years, seems like just yesterday I had my bachelor party...
Posted By: JohnK Re: Hey, how are are you "crapiophiles" doing? - 10/25/05 04:02 AM
Congratulations, Skerdi! Now you can get back to audio?
Skerdi! Congrats, my man. In regard to the question "can you finally get back to audio?" Regrettably, I think the answer will likely be a resounding "no." Such is wife, I mean life....

Of course, I am kidding. I'm sure the wedding was a blast. I wish you best of luck starting a new family.
OK, Skerdi must be a nickname? What is all this talk about getting back into Audio?
Correct me if i'm wrong...I think Skerdi is his given name.

Hell I wouldn't be in any hurry to get back to audio either! Its still honeymoon time in my books.
OH La laaaaaa, Daddy likes......
In reply to:

at $3750/pair, very reasonably priced

is it just me, or is this statement regarding the Maggies mutually exclusive?

you know it's kinda funny, not five minutes ago I was reading the thread about whether there oughta be moderators and then i see this one seemingly started by a middle schooler going "nanny nanny boo boo." I'm sure his Mom is proud...
Craigsub, Have you done an A/B comparison yet between the Studio 100s and the Axiom M80s? I'm trying to choose between the 2 for the HT room in my new house.
© Axiom Message Boards