Axiom Home Page
Posted By: s002wjh reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 12:01 AM
i heard many people said that axiom is bit bright, so I like to know which receiver is better for axiom speakers base on your experience. Because, I heard receiver play a major role in tune down the brightest in the sound and make more smooth sound. I'm consider yamaha rx-v2600 or denon 3806.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 12:17 AM
I would not get to worried about what others say on other forums. When I was first looking a year ago, many Axiom bashers on AVSforum liked to worry people that Axiom's are bright. I find them to be accurate and very neutral. If your listening to a poorly recorded CD, the Axiom's will let you hear the flaws, that is not a problem with the speakers.

I was also told Denon's are to mechanical or bright sounding. Funny the techs at Axiom recommended Denon for my setup and it sounds great...

You really need to hear them for yourself and decide, not what others tell you as everyone has a different opinion...

Check the "Hearing Things" forum to see if anybody is in your area...
Posted By: bridgman Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 12:20 AM
I don't think many people here believe in "bright" vs. "smooth" receivers, just "thin" (wussy power amp) vs "good". My understanding from reading a lot of posts on other sites is that Yamaha's tend to be thought of as "bright", Harman Kardon as "smooth" and Denon somewhere in the middle, so I guess something like an HK would be the best match if you believe in that stuff. I don't believe in it myself, but I do own an HK receiver which I guess blows my credibility

The general consensus seems to be that a mid-to-high end unit from any of the major mfgs will sound pretty much the same. There is another post going on right now polling for receiver brand among Axiom owners; from what I remember, Denon was most popular, followed by HK, Yamaha, Onkyo and Pioneer in that order.

Sorry this was no help. Ask if a big honkin' power amp will make things sound better and more people will say "yes, I believe in that"
Posted By: Wid Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 12:20 AM

Here is a graph of the M60s along with an EP500.If the M60 were to be labeled as " bright " one should notice a peak in the upper frequency range.As you can see there is no major peak in the graph.I would have to say if one would like to label this speakers sound it would have to labeled as neutral.

Posted By: bridgman Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 12:21 AM
>>I would have to say if one would like to label this speakers sound it would have to labeled as neutral.

So... maybe a Denon then
Posted By: Wid Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 12:24 AM
Could be I suppose, I do know that a "big honkin" Rotel amp sounds good with the M80s
Posted By: shivas Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 02:25 AM
Appreciate your insights--I am just about ready to pull the trigger and buy the Axiom Epic60 (2)m60ts, (4)Qs8s,(1)VP150, & a 350 woofer(wife hates bass) -you mentioned an AMP--what brand do you recommend and what should I look for to couple with the Axiom?
Posted By: bugbitten Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 02:44 AM
In reply to:

wife hates bass

Will she always be there? An EP500 is basically the same size, just a little deeper. Huge difference in sound according to this forum.

Posted By: pfillion Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 02:50 AM
I have the Yamaha RX-V657 and there's enough power for the M60ti. I didn't want to spend too much money for the RX-V2600 or 4600 as I will upgrade in few years to have an HD-Dolby/DTS compatible receiver.

Posted By: JohnK Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 02:52 AM
S002, welcome. The people that you heard that from have no clue, either as to Axioms or receivers. Axioms are smooth and accurate, as are any competently designed receivers(the receiver will amplify transparently and wouldn't add any sound characteristic of its own), so neither will be "bright" unless the program material being played has that characteristic on its own. Both the 2600 and 3806 are excellent and would of course do well with Axioms.
Posted By: bridgman Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 03:19 AM
>>you mentioned an AMP--what brand do you recommend and what should I look for to couple with the Axiom?

I'm not really up to date -- the last power amp I ran was a big Marantz unit quite a few years ago -- but even worse I'm a long-standing member of the "all good amps sound pretty much the same as long as they have a decently high damping factor" club

I'm running an HK 630 receiver with my M60s and haven't felt the need for more power yet.
Posted By: NEW2AXIOM Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 05:42 AM
I have a Denon AVR-885 running my M60's and they sound perfect.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: reciever for m60ti - 11/29/05 03:46 PM
Shivas,
despite the S.O. bass issues, one thing you may wish to consider is purchasing the EP 500 in place of a second pair of QS8s. Your room size would be an important factor in that decision though....if you've got a lot of room behind you and to the sides, 7.1 might not be a bad idea. If you have significant room volume overall, the sub might be the better choice.

© Axiom Message Boards