Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ferguson630 Help From Owners - 01/31/06 03:33 PM
First I know nothing about speakers. I have a Bose system, 12 years old. Am searching for a full 7.1 system that will go on a Yamaha reciever. I have listened to many brands locally, and have eliminated most. Best sound so far have been Mirage,Boston and Polk. I would appreciate any owner commenting on the Axiom line and what I can expect. Will be use for threate mainly but I like the old time rock music so am looking for quality sound. Any comments would be appreciated.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 03:57 PM
Bob, Welcome, depending on your budget I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Axiom Home Theater Packages. In my opinion Axiom is far superior to any of the brands you mentioned.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 03:58 PM
Bob,

Here is a link to the Audition List of folks who have Axiom speakers...From what I remember, there are a few in your part of the world that may be willing to let you audition their setups. After you check the list, if there is not, contact Amie at Axiom and she may be able to help you out further with folks who may not be on the list...

The other option is to use the 30 day return policy and listen to them in your room with your equipment.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck in your search.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: ferguson630 Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 04:10 PM
Forgot to add that I am looking at purchasing a Yamaha 1500 reciever and budget of $2000 or a little over.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 04:13 PM
Room size?
Posted By: simboticus Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 04:39 PM
"First I know nothing about speakers. I have a Bose system"

Isn't that a redundant statement?

Come on...., I know you guys were thinking the same thing. No offense intended ferguson, just having a little fun to start my day. We were all newbie's once.
Posted By: ferguson630 Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 05:15 PM
In the good old day, remember when we walked to school in bare feet, well in those days Bose speakers and Sony recievers were top of the line! Also the Bose with two speakers and base were a $1000 12 years ago! Room size is just under 20 x 20 with one side open to a dinning room.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 05:27 PM
I still have those 2 bose speakers and module from 12 years ago, stored in my garage. They were the bomb back when
Posted By: simboticus Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 06:08 PM
Yeah, my neighbor has some old Bose speakers, maybe 15 years old, I don't know the model number, but they sound pretty good. My wife has a bose system in her car and it's really good too.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 06:43 PM
A Yamaha 1500 will have absolutely NO problem driving any of the Axiom speakers. Axiom speakers are extremely efficient.

I'm thinking you should get m60's, VP150, 4 QS8's, and an EP500 sub. That should fill the bill.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 10:32 PM
You probably ought to audition some Axioms.
From what I remember of the Polks and Bostons I've heard (perhaps the big Polk Lsi excepted), those speakers do not have the high end resolution of Axioms, B&Ws, and many other "audiophile" brands.
If you like the boxy, pleasantly warm sound of Polks and Boston, you may be shocked by the Axioms.
Maybe go try listening to some other bling-bling brands if you can't find an Axiom owner near you. People here are pretty familiar with most brands/models.
Or roll the dice and order some M80s.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 10:35 PM
I don't think ordering m80's even qualifies as "rolling the dice." Maybe it's better qualified as flipping a double-headed coin while calling heads in the air.
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Help From Owners - 01/31/06 11:44 PM
Welcome! I was a total newbie when I found Axiom 1-1/2 years ago, and all I can say is if you're not in too much off a rush, read this forum, ask lots of questions because they're are alot of knowledgeable people here.

I am very happy with my system, for movies and music. Very detailed and can handle alot of power
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Help From Owners - 02/01/06 12:36 AM
Welcome!

Sounds like me last April. I travel hundreds of miles and spent hours listening to different systems.

The best thing I did was to order Axioms on the home trial. I was set to send them back if I didn't like them. I ordered the Epic60-500 with the VP150 upgrade. I was impressed. The only change I made was the upgrade to 80s.

Take your time and ask questions. There are lots of helpful people here. Even some who own Aperions and Rockets (2 other internet companies). They all will share info.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Help From Owners - 02/02/06 03:37 AM
Hi Bob - welcome to the madness (and long term, never-ending expense )

Your room indicates that you may end up with M60s for fronts. While you are trying to score an Axionm audition, see if you can find a local dealer that handles B&W 703s, they are almost identical to the M60s. Should give you a pretty good idea.
Posted By: Richie Re: Help From Owners - 02/02/06 03:09 PM
I listened to all of the speakers listed above before going with the Axioms. You will not be disappointed. Axioms are audiophile speakers sold for unbelieveably low prices! :-) If you don't like them you can always send them back after 30 days.
© Axiom Message Boards