Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Craig_P Creating a PC jukebox? - 03/23/06 04:25 PM
So here's my plan: I'm replacing my 6 year old computer with a new one, and rather than junking it or giving it away, I was thinking of throwing in a new hard drive and using it as a music jukebox, hooked up to my stereo. Here's my question, is it possible, or does it make sense, to remove the OS (ie, Windows XP) for efficiencies sake, as I'd prefer not to waste resources running Windows since I'd really only need to play mp3's, ogg, FLAC files etc, and be able to rip CD's, encode, etc... IS there any way to do this, ie, some sort of music management/jukebox program with a UI that can replace Windows? I thought I've heard people discussing this, but maybe I'm mistaken, and it's not even possible.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Creating a PC jukebox? - 03/23/06 04:55 PM
I'm glad you asked this because I'm interested as well. I thought about a pre-built unit, similar to this, but they are way over priced. So, I want to do exactly what you want while adding a Slim Devices Squeezebox or the Roku Soundbridge. I suppose there must be some type of operating system to do so though.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Creating a PC jukebox? - 03/23/06 05:02 PM
Here is what I'm getting next, once I complete my HTPC.

http://www.lime-technology.com
Posted By: Asynchronous Re: Creating a PC jukebox? - 03/23/06 05:40 PM
I have a Squeezebox 3 being driven by a 5 year old 1Ghz Dell box running Windows XP and SlimServer. I stream FLAC files to the players to decode - sounds awesome, even on my Blose satellites. I can be working/surfing/etc. on the machine with no performance issues. So unless you're interested in learning Linux/etc, I don't think there's much of a benefit to OS shopping as far as this application is concerned.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Creating a PC jukebox? - 03/26/06 03:49 AM
I'm actually considering doing the same thing. I really have no current need for a full blown HTPC. I'm very happy with my HD Tivo receiver and DVD player. Right now I'm more interested in just a music server which can interface with my TV.

I currently have all my music ripped on a PC in my office running iTunes. This is on the home network along with 2 notebooks and my xbox 360. Right now I either use my Xbox 360 or notebook PC connected to my receiver to play music.

This 360 isn't ideal as the interface is clunky and doesn't work well with my artist and song list. I play mostly with my notebook running Itunes playing files on the PC upstairs.

My current alternative options are either Roku soundbridge or building a bare bones HTPC. Most likely I'd prefer to build a basic HTPC to stream music from the PC the music is on but also allowing me the option to a add storage, dvd player, and a tuner card in the future.

Sorry for the babbling probably doesn't help the original poster but I've been debating this one for a few months now.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Creating a PC jukebox? - 03/26/06 04:56 AM
Ok after an hour more research I'm going to pick up a Squeezebox unit. It will give me all the functionality I need now, looks great, easy set up and $300.
© Axiom Message Boards