Axiom Home Page
Posted By: luv2listen CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 03:16 AM
Does anyone have some suggestions for a CD player that is a CD changer and plays SACD and DVD-AUDIO? Tnx for the info.

Posted By: HomeDad Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 04:19 AM
The Denon 2910 and 3910 are both very good universal players.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 06:16 AM
I just did a quick search for you. The first one that came up was the Yamaha DV-C6770, but the reviews didn't seem favorable. You may want to take a look at the Onkyo DV-CP802 or the Yamaha DVD-C750 instead.
Posted By: genesis471 Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 08:57 AM
I'll second the Denon 2910 & 3910
Posted By: libirm Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 03:13 PM
This is the one I like
Sony dvpcx995v
sony =
Posted By: libirm Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 03:19 PM
Just a note:
I found the unit at onecall very cheap...
onecall
Posted By: Wid Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 03:22 PM

Sony does not support DVD-A.
Posted By: libirm Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 03:28 PM
Bummer:(
Posted By: sonicfox Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 03:43 PM
I would have suggested the Denon's as well, but he asked for a *changer*.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 04:44 PM
Right you are
Posted By: michael_d Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 05:08 PM
I have this one…….

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/integra-dpc-85-universal-player-9-2004.html

Not real sure if the review is favorable or not. Too much audiophile babble that I don’t understand. In short, it holds its own for music playback with some super-duper $11,000 CD player.

It’s made in Japan too. I did not know that until I stumbled onto that review this morning. I had just assumed it was made in China with everything else. Being made in Japan is a good thing, I think.

I also have a couple mega changers. While music playback is just fine with them, I can tell that something is lacking with them when I listen to the same disk with the Integra.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 05:44 PM
The "lower end" equivalent of mdrew's unit is the Onkyo DV-CP802. It is very difficult to find, but Accessories 4 Less has refurb units. AC4L is very good to deal with in my experience. That's the unit I plan to buy at some point. The only failing I know of is that when it plays on random, it will repeat songs if they come up again.

The Yammies always sound appealing, but thye have some significant shortfalls; some (all?) have problem with DualDisk DVDs, they are all considered to be extremely slow on loading and disc change. Mind, I've never used one myself except to try and open a tray on one at Good Guys (which took a very long time), so I'm just going off of reviews on the 'net. For what it's worth, Audioholics really liked the DVP-C750 when they reviewed it (other than the slowness).
Posted By: Ajax Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 05:59 PM
Onkyo DV-CP802 at accessories4less (scroll to bottom of page) cuz Ken is a doofus who didn't check his link.

It appears the black model is currently out of stock, while the silver model is in stock. Always call before ordering to be sure an item is definitely in stock.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 06:01 PM
New link because Jack doesn't take you to the product.
Posted By: michael_d Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 06:06 PM
You still haven't bought a Changer Ken????

Comon dude, just do it! You're going to give yourself a ulcer thinking this over.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 06:08 PM
I keep not having the money.... last time I had the Amazon gift cert, and I couldn't use it anywhere else. So I bought Bab5 DVDs. And now, well, I don't have the money... This is how I buy expensive products--I think about them for around a year or so, then bite the bullet. Right now, I'm thinking about a MacBook Pro, because I'm really starting to hate this Thinkpad T43 I got from work...
Posted By: Gkarf Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 07:15 PM
I bought the Yamaha 6770. It sounds great,but after a bit more use( and bad advice to someone on this board) it does seem to take a bit longer to load up. I can't play random anymore, just too long between songs. It is a 5 changer, and if random does not matter, and you can take the ~8-10 seconds to load up, this could be for you, Guy
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 07:17 PM
You advised me, and don't worry, I didn't listen to you.
Posted By: Gkarf Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 07:19 PM
Thanks!!!?!! I didn't notice the loading until I tried the random play. Sorry about that. Guy
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 07:24 PM
Heh, sorry about that, myself! If I hadn't mentioned it, you might not have noticed it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 09:08 PM
Yeah, but your link takes him to only the black, out of stock, model. That's why I linked to the page with all the models. By doing so, it allows him to see if he would be satisfied with the allegedly in stock silver model, or if he wanted to wait for the black model to be restocked.

I suppose I should've put a link to each, but I was lazy and figured he is capable of clicking on a photo of the model(s) in which he's interested.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/26/06 09:14 PM
Yeah, but the black one is better looking...
Posted By: Ajax Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/27/06 01:28 AM
Well, It's all you look at it. Ya got a choice. You can hang a picture of the "better looking" black one on your wall, or put the "not better looking" silver one in your room and enjoy the music.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 03/27/06 02:25 AM
Just foolin' with ya.

Bug
Posted By: emorphien Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/09/06 08:13 PM
I've been very happy with my Pioneer Elite DV45-A which I use in my home theater in the living room. I purchased it for $240 including shipping, new and sealed, from Audiogon last fall. It's the previous model but I believe a new version is out which may be worth looking in to.

I purchased it mainly for its reputation in audio quality with decent burr brown dacs, it's not bad with video quality either but doesn't tout any fancy features in that department.
Posted By: maphiker Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/09/06 08:49 PM
Hi. I am glad this thread was started. I am hoping someone can answer a few questions for me. I am interested in getting a new SACD/CD player (DVD A would be nice also). I am looking for one with a fire wire that would allow me to directly feed the digital out of the SACD player into my Denon AVR-4806. This would allow me to take advantage of all the digital processing features of the AVR (I think). There are a few of these players out there but they are all very expensive. Pioneer Elite has a new model.

The Yamaha model (DVD S2500) seems to get poor reviews.

Does the SACD output come through the HDMI connector? There are a lot more players available with HDMI.

Also, is it really worth having the firewire?

Any suggestions/thoughts on all this?
Thanks for your help.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/09/06 08:56 PM
You actually have to use the DenonLINK to get digital SACD out. I do not think that firewire is certified for SACD. That pretty much locks you to the higher end Denon units.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/09/06 10:01 PM
Ken is correct, to use your Denon link you will need a Denon DVD player from models 3910 and above.
Posted By: maphiker Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/10/06 08:26 AM
Thanks for setting me straight re: the firewire. Do you think that having the Denon Link would make a significant difference in the sound quality of SACDs?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/10/06 03:22 PM
I use the Denon link, while I can't say there is any difference between the analog or digital sound, the convenience of one cable verses five is worth it to me.
Posted By: maphiker Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/10/06 04:12 PM
When you use the Denon Link does that mean the signal can be passed through the Audyssey MultEq and otherwise be processed by the AVR?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/10/06 04:30 PM
My guess would be yes, the Denon link performs just like your normal optical link except it has the license to do multichannel.
Posted By: newkid2005 Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/10/06 10:05 PM
so whats the bottom line ??? which one does it all at a "good" price ??
Posted By: HomeDad Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/11/06 12:56 AM
If you are looking for a good universal player to use with the Denon Link you can't go wrong with the 3910.
Posted By: maphiker Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/12/06 10:48 PM
Hi:
Are you guys sure about the iLink (firewire)not being able to pass through SACD? I seem to read differently. For instance see the Pioneer web site:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4159_36978171,00.html

Maybe I am misunderstanding this.
Thanks again for your help
Posted By: HomeDad Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/12/06 11:08 PM
Looks like you are correct on the high end Pioneers also, but as with Denon you would have to use both Pioneer's receiver and DVD player.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/12/06 11:10 PM
link
Posted By: maphiker Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/13/06 11:26 PM
I don't think you are correct about the i-link (firewire, IEEE-1394) not being compatible with SACD. From what I read any player and receiver combination are compatible as long as they are both DTCP compliant.
I contacted Pioneer:

Inquiry:I am interested in playing SACDs on the DV-79AVi through the iLink. I have a Denon AVR-4806 with iLink inputs. Will the DV-79AVi work with the Denon through the iLink for SACDs?

Reply: Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.
If the connected component is DTCP (Digital Transmission Content Protection) compliant it will play SACD's through the i.link.
Thank You,
Ismael

I checked and the AVR-4806 is DTCP cpmpliant.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: CD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player - 04/13/06 11:42 PM
Cool, that gives you more options, thanks for the correction.
© Axiom Message Boards