Axiom Home Page
Posted By: evilchris Opinion on setup I am debating purchasing - 03/27/06 10:01 PM
Hello!

I recently bought a Denon 4306 and an SVS +/2 sub

I was thinking about the following from Axiom:

2 m80
1 vp150
2 qs8 side surrounds
2 m3 back surrounds

I was concerned with the 4OHM rating of the M80's, as my Denon states it prefers 6 - 8 OHM loads. Will running M80's damage my amp, and is the Denon's 130W ( at 8 OHMS ) rating sufficient to drive the M80's well?

My room is 19x14' with an 11.2' vaulted ceiling at the apex, opening into a 17x13' kitchen with an 8' ceiling. 50/50 HT, heavy metal music. Thanks.
Welcome, that would be a great setup. The Denon should have no problem driving the M80's.
Most Denons, even pre 2805 models will drive 80's with no problems. Actually Denon is one of the AVR's that Axiom recommends for the 80's, along with HK.

One question, why bookshelfs for the rears?
Posted By: RickF Re: Opinion on setup I am debating purchasing - 03/27/06 10:15 PM
Chris, first and foremost ... welcome aboard!

I believe you'll have an awesome system for movies and heavy metal, I also second Michael's thoughts regarding the Denon driving the 4 ohm 80s. I believe it will drive these speakers just fine. Just out of curiosity, how did you come about choosing the M3s for your back surrounds?
Thanks for the tips. After some reading I got the impression I'd want a more directional speaker for the back surrounds. Is this not the case? Do you have a better Axiom recommendation?

I am also still able to cancel my SVS purchase, I'm looking at that EP600, wow.
Posted By: RickF Re: Opinion on setup I am debating purchasing - 03/27/06 10:28 PM
I believe the back surround issue is a matter of personal preference, some say go with directional speakers while others say go the omnidirectional route. I was just curious how you chose the M3s for the back...which I'm sure will make for very good rear speakers.

As far as the 600 goes I believe you will say 'wow' if you ever got your hands on one.
Wow would be good for saying for the EP600, like knock your walls down Wow. The EP500 is also a fantastic sub.
Welcome!

QS8s make great back surrounds as well. Just depends on how far you are away from the back of the room. The closer the back, the more you need QS8s.

A matching EP600 would fill out the order perfectly. The EP600 gets awesome reviews.

Good luck!
Thanks. I would be about 2 - 3 feet from the back surrounds, unless I wall mounted them, I could get them up higher.

In my smaller room do you think the Ep600 is worth the extra over the ep500?
BTW I am also limited on sub placement. It will actually be in the rear corner of the room, near the back surrounds.
The 600 is the envy of us Axiom owners. I have the 500 and was told that 98-99% of bass or LFE in movies and music falls within the specs of it. My sub volume is set at about one quarter and may be shattering the foundations.

Sub material is not localized so the back works.

IMO your in the QS8 range.
Posted By: RickF Re: Opinion on setup I am debating purchasing - 03/27/06 11:02 PM
Chris, Bug is right regarding placement of the sub, rear corner should be perfectly fine.
I have the same AVR and it has no problem with the 80's, you will love the sound that comes out of those babies.
Thanks for the tip. Are you happy with the 500? Wondering if I buy it, will I wish I got the 600 =)
My room is much bigger than yours, and my 500 rocks my world for HT and music. I also have 4 Qs8's and enjoy them very much, they do great for movies and music. With bookshelfs, if your not in the sweetspot, you won't get the same experience. Again, this is my opinion, others may vary.

Welcome.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet.html
I don't think anybody has ever regretted buying the EP500, I've never had the urge to upgrade to the 600, mainly because it's just so big, and the fact that the 500 does more than I ever thought a sub could do. You would not regret either choice.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Opinion on setup I am debating purchasing - 03/28/06 03:26 AM
Chris, another welcome(so far you don't sound so evil). If you're going to use more directional back surrounds, I'd suggest that you consider the M2s for a better match to the M80s(although not crucial for the back surrounds). However, the 2-3' distance for them that you mention isn't desirable; you don't want speakers, even QSs with wide dispersion, playing almost right into your ears. If possible arrange for at least 5' of listening room.

As to the 4306, it didn't really say that it prefers 6-8 ohm loads, it was just overly cautious Denon copywriters. The M80s are slightly above average in sensitivity and the 4306 should have more than enough maximum output(around 200 watts into 4 ohms)for your use.

Thanks for the reply. It's 3 feet to the wall, all I can get . I could, however, raise them 2 feet higher and point them at my listening position to get the 5'.

WRT to the 4306, I am going off the "Speaker Impedance" silkscreen on the back, which says 6-8 OHMS for the fronts.
I am this close: ---><--- to ordering. I decided on M80's, Vp150, 4 QS8, but am stuck on the sub. Keep the SVS +/2, or get the EP500 or EP600. Can't make up my mind!
I don't think there is a wrong choice here. A matter of "trials" maybe?

What color did you decide on for your Axioms?
Just going to go black...I am too impatient for customs!
Posted By: RickF Re: Opinion on setup I am debating purchasing - 03/28/06 10:33 PM
>>> I am this close: ---><--- to ordering. I decided on M80's, Vp150, 4 QS8, but am stuck on the sub. Keep the SVS +/2, or get the EP500 or EP600. Can't make up my mind! <<<

Chris, I don't know about you but my theory is if it fits within my personal budget ... then why not?
I can afford the extra 600$, but I just need to know that I am getting 600$ worth of extra performance that I'll actually use. I will never push this system to it's max, so don't need foundation cracking performance.
Save the $600 and buy some music and movies
Posted By: Wid Re: Opinion on setup I am debating purchasing - 03/28/06 11:31 PM

You only say that because you don't have an EP 600
But of course
© Axiom Message Boards