Axiom Home Page
Posted By: baetis Trouble shooting my sound - 05/05/06 11:24 PM
Set up has been in place for 5 years. Absolutley nothing has been touched, changed, added or reconfigured.

When attempting to play either a DVD or CD we get no sound. BUT, if you select FM on the receiver, no problem, plenty of sound. First I thought it was the DVD player so I bought a new one, hooked it up, same results. Returned that, thinking it was the receiver, I bought a new receiver. Hooked THAT up, same friggin thing.

Anyone?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/05/06 11:36 PM
Ummm, the cable that connects the two?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/05/06 11:40 PM
That would be my first guess, more information about how things are setup would help.
Posted By: baetis Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 11:18 AM
So you guys thnk it is the Optic cable? Like I said, nothing had been touched, the sound just stopped working.
Posted By: Wid Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 11:32 AM
That would be my first guess. You could also make sure no one changed the settings in the receiver and reasigned the dvd player to another output.
Posted By: baetis Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 11:38 AM
Well I guess that would make sense as that has been the one constant while I went thru a new DVD player hooked up to the old receiver and then a new AV receiver hooked up to the old DVD player.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 11:50 AM
Yup, that would seem to be just about all it could be!

Do you happen to have any RCA analog cables that you could use to go thru the "old fashioned" route?

......just to be sure(as if there's a doubt, right!)until you can get a new optical?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 12:35 PM
You don't say what receiver your using, as Wid has mentioned check your input assignments in the receiver setup to make sure that your DVD option is pointing to your optical jack? Or do you have Coax options, which would also be digital passthrough.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 01:39 PM
We have an unusual problem that we don't normally see.

First the DVD player was swapped out; and then the receiver was replaced.

The original problem persisted......kinda like changing the head of an ax; and then the handle. Is it the same ax?

Only original part remaining is that wedgie thing!!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 01:47 PM
Rick - did you get any audio from the ax after those tweaks?
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 02:05 PM
Yup; sharpened up the treble quite a bit!!
Posted By: ratpack Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 02:24 PM
Seems strange that an optical cable would go bad, but I guess that could and does happen.

If that is the case, please let us know. And, please take a hard look at it. If you have a cat or dog, maybe they chewed on it.

Guess that the cable could have become "cloudy" or darkened over time.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Trouble shooting my sound - 05/06/06 02:41 PM
Good point.

I wonder if it would work to check to see if the "red" is showing at the output of the DVD player(it should be, I think) And then check to see if the "Red" is still visible at the connection end of the cable "to" the receiver?

Uh,....have to plug the other end in first.
© Axiom Message Boards