Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/14/06 11:07 PM
Just curious why the Qs8 product page does not include a "graph" like the other Axiom speakers?
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/15/06 01:48 AM
I bet it would be hard to get a constant reading with the QS8's since they rely so heavily on room reflections.

Maybe moving the mic around and orienting the speaker at different angles would affect the measurements so I guess any measurement posted by axiom would really be a measurment listening from a certain angle of the speaker.

Just a guess.
Posted By: alan Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/18/06 02:13 PM
Hi dan,

Your guess is correct. It's impossible to do accurate anechoic measurements of quadpolar, dipolar, or bipolar speakers for the reasons you cite. And if you do room measurements, those are only accurate for the specific room you put the QS8s in, because their output is so dependent on the particular reflections generated in that room. So you couldn't extrapolate from those measurements to other rooms.

Regards,
Posted By: ratpack Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/18/06 06:26 PM
Nevertheless, mine sound great.

We will be moving to our "dream" lakehouse soon. I currently have my QS8s on Axiom stands. I'm not sure that I will be able to use the stands or even wall mounts. Anyone have them "sitting" on top of a table or something?

Any other ideas?
Posted By: bridgman Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/18/06 06:41 PM
I used to have them sitting on small tables using a pair of soup cans to provide breathing room for the bottom woofer.

Now using the Axiom stands.

I have posted pictures of both in the past -- I think most will agree that the stands are a big improvement
Posted By: maphiker Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/18/06 11:14 PM
A question for Alan:
Out of curiosity, if you can't measure accurate frequency response of the QS8's, how do you get the Freq Resp +/-3db that is posted for this speaker.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/19/06 05:16 AM
In reply to:

Out of curiosity, if you can't measure accurate frequency response of the QS8's, how do you get the Freq Resp +/-3db that is posted for this speaker.

Another guess...

If you lay the speaker to the side, you could have the woofer firing directly at the mic a meter away, so you can do the low freq's that way, and find out when the frequencies drop off.

Similarly, you probably could do the same with one of the tweeters, just have the tweeter pointing at the mic, and you can find the high end threshold there.
Posted By: ratpack Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/19/06 11:27 AM
Thanks. Now that you have joged my memeory, I seem to remember you posting that about the soup cans quite a while ago. Guess that I forgot about that.
Posted By: dakkon Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/21/06 06:28 AM
bridgmanBridgman, I took your idea and ran with it, accept substiute soup cans for arazona tea cans….

Posted By: Ken.C Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/21/06 06:29 AM
The big ones or the little ones? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: ratpack Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/21/06 01:15 PM
Will hockey pucks do? LOL!!!
Posted By: maphiker Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/25/06 06:28 PM
Quote:

A question for Alan:
<br>Out of curiosity, if you can't measure accurate frequency response of the QS8's, how do you get the Freq Resp +/-3db that is posted for this speaker.

Is there a chance to get a serious answer to this question?
Posted By: JohnK Re: No graph for the Qs8's? - 05/26/06 03:31 AM
Maret, another serious, but certainly not authoritative answer would be along the same line as Dan's "guess". Since the Axiom figure is an on-axis measurement it would appear that the mid-woofer could be measured on its axis to the crossover point and above that the tweeter could be measured on its axis and the two measurements then be joined at the crossover frequency.
© Axiom Message Boards