Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Tarun FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/16/06 07:36 PM
Has anyone ever used the Furman products?
I got my hands on a Furman M-8D at a very good price and wanted to know what the results were in the real world.

Thanks,

-Tarun
Posted By: BrenR Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/16/06 08:44 PM
Bro and I have both used the PL-series... offers protection in road racks against whatever the house mains is. I like the Furman products... I haven't really read into why you believe you need one, but if you decide you do, you probably won't be disappointed.

Bren R.
Posted By: Tarun Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/16/06 08:46 PM
Bren...

Simple power issue. My DVD players have been having image vibration/noise issues. A line conditioner from a friend solved the problem and I was looking for a good inexpensive solution.

The model I mention above cost me about $100 in NYC...which is good.

-Tarun
Posted By: BrenR Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/16/06 08:50 PM
Quote:

My DVD players have been having image vibration/noise issues.

Quit running them off a diesel generator.

Bren R.
Posted By: ratpack Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/17/06 02:53 AM
If it solves your problems, then, GREAT.

However, I am still of the opinion that a line conditioner is of little use in the majority of the United States and Canada where the utility companies provide well regulated power.

The power supply on your equipment is supposed to provide an adequate amount of regulation. Most conditioning companies are just "hyping" their product for which there is really no need!!!
Posted By: Ajax Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/17/06 03:26 AM
Quote:

...I am still of the opinion that a line conditioner is of little use in the majority of the United States and Canada where the utility companies provide well regulated power.

I can tell you don't have First Energy as your electric company, Bernard. They are the company that brought you the big blackout in the Eastern US and Canada a few summers ago. The worst electric company I've ever had.

Posted By: JohnK Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/17/06 03:40 AM
Jack, the audio engineers are aware of First Energy, and they design their power supplies to handle even FE's typical fluctuations routinely.
Posted By: Ajax Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/17/06 10:08 AM
"Typical" fluctuations maybe; the one above, not so well.
Posted By: Tarun Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/17/06 11:59 AM
Well, in the land of Toxic dumps (New Jersey) one always has voltage fluctuation. The line conditioner I have used for years (a panamax) died on me. However I never thought that I had dirty power until my dvd players started showing image flutter on my new projector setup. It is then that I started to run the tests.....the conclusion was that the line conditioner helped the flutter in the image dissapear.
Posted By: ratpack Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/17/06 08:12 PM
You are correct, I don't have FE.

But, a friend of mine who works at the local power company told me that they strive to keep the voltage to within a volt or two at my meter.

I suspect that your equipment will take voltage variations of at least 5%, maybe even 10%. I suspect that even FE strives to keep their voltage variations less than 10%!!!

Bottom Line: you shouldn't need a power conditioner. Your gear should do an adequate job!!!!
Posted By: real80sman Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/17/06 08:50 PM
Regardless, it still doesn't change the fact that without one, he gets image flutter.

Glad you were able to solve the problem.
Posted By: Tarun Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/23/06 03:06 PM
I didnt mean to start a war here.
Simply put though...the line conditioner solved my problems and thus it stays in the house. Everything is working like a charm at this point and time.
Posted By: Wid Re: FURMAN M-8D Line Conditioner - 06/23/06 03:17 PM
Quote:

I didnt mean to start a war here.
Simply put though...the line conditioner solved my problems and thus it stays in the house. Everything is working like a charm at this point and time.

And that's all that matters.
© Axiom Message Boards