Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JDad receiver-phono inputs - 07/13/06 01:36 AM
Hi, I may be getting a receiver without phono input jacks. I'm also considering purchasing a turntable with a pre-amp. Would I be able to plug the turntable into the receiver's alternative jacks and get quality sound? Thanks.
Posted By: littleb Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/13/06 01:38 AM
Yep, just pick one.
Posted By: JDad Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/13/06 01:43 AM
Thank you.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/13/06 04:34 AM
To be absolutely clear, get a phono preamp.
Posted By: littleb Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/13/06 01:18 PM
Ken,

I believe the newer turntables have preamps built right into the buggers probably due to the fact that many receivers don't come with that gadget these days.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/13/06 03:14 PM
Shows what I know.
Posted By: alan Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/13/06 03:23 PM
littleb,

A few turntables have built-in preamps; most do not, especially any up-market "audiophile" models. Within a given manufacturer's line, there is typically at least one with a built-in preamp.
Posted By: JDad Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/14/06 05:07 AM
Thank you. One other reason I've heard for the built in pre-amp is so the turntable can be used for recording vinyl onto computers. You also have the ability to clean up the sound.
Posted By: littleb Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/14/06 01:17 PM
Shows what I know
Posted By: DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/16/06 08:41 AM
Be sure to get a phono pre that matches your cartridge. Some are specific to Moving Magnet carts and others for Moving Coil carts. Some will allow you to use either cart and adjust for load impedence, gain and capacitance. If you used the phono outs in a receiver it would probably not have enough gain for a MC and you may have to crank it up to hear the lp. Here is the phono pre I use:

Monolithic PS-1
Posted By: JDad Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/16/06 09:48 PM
Boy, it's been a long time since I've had to think about cartridges. Thank you!
Posted By: DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Re: receiver-phono inputs - 07/17/06 05:43 AM
Enjoy the turntable. You're going to have a blast searching for vinyl.
© Axiom Message Boards