Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Screefer EP350 Hum - 11/10/06 05:24 AM
I received my M22v2's and EP350 sub on Monday.After carefully connecting everything I have a very noticable hum from the sub. I went thru all connections. Cable hook up, speaker connections etc and still had the hum even with the receiver turned off. It would vary in loudness.
I took a 3 prong extension cable and snipped one of the ground wires off and plugged the sub in with that. No more hum!!. How do I solve this problem and still ground my sub properly?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: EP350 Hum - 11/10/06 05:38 AM
Find out where your getting your ground loop from. If you have a cable box in the system check that first. Disconnect the cable feed going into it, If the humm goes away you need to get a transformer type device. Axiom even sells one.
Posted By: BrenR Re: EP350 Hum - 11/10/06 05:53 AM
Alan's done a write-up here.

Should help you out.

Bren R.
Posted By: Screefer Re: EP350 Hum - 11/10/06 05:58 AM
I've disconnected the cable from the receiver and Tv. It still hums.
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP350 Hum - 11/10/06 06:36 AM
Go back to the most basic setup and start from there. Just the receiver, speakers and sub, with both receiver and sub plugged into the same AC outlet and nothing but a wire antenna or CD/DVD player hooked into the receiver, again on the same outlet. Should be no hum. Add stuff from there and see when the hum starts.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: EP350 Hum - 11/10/06 04:43 PM
If you just plug in the power, and only the power, does it still hum?

If so, it might be power supply related.
Posted By: Screefer Re: EP350 Hum - 11/10/06 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the help. After connecting only the receiver and DVD player the hum went away. As soon as I connect the Tv inputs it hums. I have ordered a ground loop isolator from Axiom.
I must say the help from all of you is fantastic and I love my Axioms.
Posted By: JohnK Re: EP350 Hum - 11/11/06 04:01 AM
Kim, welcome. Glad to hear that you're enjoying your Axioms. One point about the sub hum is puzzling: you said that you disconnected the cable TV line(the most common cause of hum in AV setups)but the hum was still there. Then you said that connecting the "TV inputs" caused the hum to start. If you mean that the TV connection itself(without the cable feed)started the hum, then this isn't what the Axiom isolator is designed to correct; it's specifically for a loop running through the cable connection.
Posted By: Screefer Re: EP350 Hum - 11/13/06 07:03 PM
After disconnecting the cable from TV and receiver the hum is gone. I also contacted my local Cable provider and they would not even look at it. Maybe its time for a dish.
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP350 Hum - 11/14/06 12:45 AM
I'm going from memory here, but I think I remember a couple of knowledgeable people identifying exactly what was wrong with the cable installation if you were getting hum, and possibly even the magic words you could use to get the cable guy to go "oh, I guess I could do that... long as I don't have to think..."
Posted By: Screefer Re: EP350 Hum - 11/17/06 01:59 AM
Yehaa, The hum is gone with the help of the isolator from Axiom. I think they will be seeing orders for a couple more from friends of mine in the area that have been having the same problem for awhile now. Same cable company that claims its not up to them. That makes me Hummm!!
© Axiom Message Boards