Axiom Home Page
Posted By: xander Crossover points for the Epic 80 600 - 11/11/06 06:25 PM
Hi,
I just received my new Epic 80 600 HT 7.1 system and an Outlaw 990 pre-amp. Any recommendations on the the best crossover points for the speakers? I can set each pair of channels separately (rears, sides, fronts, center and sub).

Any settings you all like to use?

Thanks for any advice!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Crossover points for the Epic 80 600 - 11/11/06 06:36 PM
xander, what many of us do is set the crossover on the preamp at 80hz, set the sub on bypass and all the speakers to small.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Crossover points for the Epic 80 600 - 11/11/06 10:47 PM
I do the same as HomeDad, but play with the settings, especially for tv inputs. You might find a setting that works better for you.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Crossover points for the Epic 80 600 - 11/12/06 01:53 AM
My Denon only lets me set one crossover, so I use small on all speakers and 80hz crossover. This pretty much is the norm and a good starting point. Maybe look at the freq response stats for each speaker and that might help you decide. I would not go below 80hz for the other speakers in your setup, but you might be able to use 60hz for the mains...
Post deleted by jakeman
Posted By: jakeman Re: Crossover points for the Epic 80 600 - 11/12/06 02:21 AM
The 990 has an excellent bass management program which allows you to set crossovers for each speaker individually, so I would take advantage of that feature and use different points for each speaker. The EP600 has a remarkably flat FR and before starting with each speaker make sure you have found the location which produces the most linear in-room FR. If you have a RS metre, place the sub at your favourite seating position, runs sweeps and find the location along the walls where there is less volatility with the SPL readings.

In setting the crossover your intial guide should be the low range of FR -/+3db. For the M80s I suggest crossover at 1/2 octave over the lowest extension of +/-3db-- that would be 50hz (34hz x 1.5). For the Centre I would recommend 80hz--any higher male voices will sound too hollow and any lower there will be a gap in FR. For the QS8s, I would start at 100HZ and check at 110hz and 90hz.
I've always found the spaciousness and air of HT sound is much improved when you take full advantage of each speakers FR.

Ideally you have each speaker blend well with the sub at the crossover points without any gaps in response.
© Axiom Message Boards