Axiom Home Page
Posted By: EMC1 Improving Center Channel Dialog - 01/21/07 08:56 PM
What's the problem with the center channel dialog on some movies broadcast over cable? I'm frequently turning up the receiver volume to hear dialog, and then back down during loud action scenes.
I've calibrated all speakers with the AVIA DVD using an SPL meter, and I've even increased the center channel db in the receiver set-up menu. I'm using the optical audio out from my cable box to my HK435 receiver. Should I also use analog cables from the cable box to the receiver, and have it set to auto poll?
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Improving Center Channel Dialog - 01/21/07 11:28 PM
Do you have the same problem with dvd/cd?

Broadcast audio is all over the spectrum. I have the same problem especially with commercials.

Have you calibrated your system with spl meter?

Doing so proves the first the first question. If all is well with test tones, then it is the broadcast.
Posted By: EMC1 Re: Improving Center Channel Dialog - 01/22/07 03:33 AM
DVD/CDs are fine, and yes I've calibrated all speakers with an SPL meter. It's probably the broadcast as you indicated. Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Improving Center Channel Dialog - 01/22/07 05:36 PM
I noticed a very significant improvement when I moved my VP100 from under the TV to on top of the TV (using the omnimount shelf thingy). Consequently, I think speaker placement is pretty important. If you have options, try them.
© Axiom Message Boards