Axiom Home Page
Posted By: teCh0010 Secure M3 to stands - 03/04/07 02:59 AM
I have a pair of M3's on parts express sand filled stands. Would it impact the sound quality to screw the stand into the bottom of the speaker? The stand has a plate with 4 small spikes, but they could be removed leaving holes to put a screw through.

The reason I ask is that we are going to have a baby and I would like to make the setup more stable so the speakers can't topple off of the stand.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/04/07 04:44 AM
Instead of screwing them to the stand which is a bit drastic look at a product called Blu-Tack.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BTTACK
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/04/07 03:24 PM
I know your concern. I have a 2.5yr old and an 8 yr old. I get a little concerned when they get close to my m80's. The thought of them pushing in a woofer dome cap (which they have done before), or tipping the speakers over is a worry.

For the most part I've been able to keep a serious voice and face so they know to stay away.

I guess you could always use bungey chords or duct tape.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/04/07 04:39 PM
>>I guess you could always use bungey chords or duct tape.

Bungee cords seem to be more "politically acceptable" -- you can always say "it's a Jolly Jumper". Using duct tape to keep your kids away from the speakers is frowned on in some states.

Oh wait, maybe you were talking about fastening the speakers to the stands. Never mind.
Posted By: jorge016 Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/04/07 08:32 PM
I've had my M22's secured to stands with Blue-Tak for over 2 years now. They've endured 3 kids (2 of whom are twin boy terrorists who are almost 3 years old now) very well. I've seen my speakers bumped, used as a hand hold while my little guys were learning to walk, and shaken by overactive 2 year olds and the Blue-Tak holds tight. If you need to remove them a simple twist pulls them free and your speakers veneer will be unscathed. IMO hold off on the screws it will be overkill.
Posted By: teCh0010 Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/05/07 03:58 PM
How much blue tac should I use? Ball it up and make 4 contact points or make one sheet across the plate?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/05/07 04:01 PM
You can use a ball near each corner, or put 4 "snakes" near each edge on the bottom. Press down hard when placing the speaker to seat it well.
Posted By: HAY Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/06/07 03:17 AM
Quote:

Instead of screwing them to the stand which is a bit drastic look at a product called Blu-Tack.

I thought there was only one forum member in to this and it was more about the ports??

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/06/07 10:23 PM
Be careful about Pete's post!!!!! Use the snake suggestion. I tried the ball suggestion and it REALLY hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/07/07 01:23 AM
ow. Ow. OW!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/07/07 01:36 AM
Yet another reason for upgrading to floorstanders. . .

Or not.

To echo Peter--"ow."
Posted By: HAY Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/07/07 06:32 PM
Quote:

Be careful about Pete's post!!!!! Use the snake suggestion. I tried the ball suggestion and it REALLY hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!

There goes another keyboard...laughed so hard coke just about came out my nose!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Secure M3 to stands - 03/08/07 02:21 PM

© Axiom Message Boards