Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmulvey MAC for digital music - 04/04/07 12:22 AM
Currently using a PC to play music on my stereo - mainly on Napster subscription service using an optical output from my PC. Vaguely considering switching to a MAC ( for style, compactness and ease of use - I live in a small NY place). Just wondering if anybody has had any compatability issues with MACs and receivers - I was half thinking of getting a laptop but the blurb for Apple's AirPort Express product makes it sound like it only works for ITunes?? Although going wireless isn't a show stopper it makes me a bit nervous as I can't figure out a good reason why Apple couldn't make the AirPort Express work for any sound output from the laptop??

Thoughts?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: MAC for digital music - 04/04/07 02:26 AM
There is a program that will make the airport express work with any audio output. It is also available for Windows. Made by a company called Rogue Amoeba. I don't remember what the name of the software is, but it should be fairly prominent on the site.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: MAC for digital music - 04/11/07 03:34 AM
It's called Airfoil. I bought it last year and highly recommend it.
Posted By: vassillios Re: MAC for digital music - 04/11/07 04:51 PM
I have an Aiport express that I use with my macbook pro, but I have 1 problem. I'm using a lynksys router and I can't keep a connection with the airport express (audio dropouts after 5 mins)unless I create a separate netowrk for the airport express. Doing so keeps me from being able to get onto the internet while being connected to the airport express. I think having an airport base station would solve the problem.

I have airfoil but it cannot send output to the airport express. All it can do, so far as i know, is take audio from the app you specify and route it to the physical audio out.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: MAC for digital music - 04/11/07 08:35 PM
Airfoil takes audio from any app and sends it to one or more Airport Express stations. That's what it was designed to do. http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/
Posted By: bray Re: MAC for digital music - 04/11/07 11:35 PM
I'll second "Airfoil".
I've had it for a little over a year and love it.
Thanks Peter!
© Axiom Message Boards