Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Sidereal Are the feet included with M80s necessary? - 04/12/07 01:07 PM
hi,

i know, it sounds like a funny post, but.....

there are some manufacturers that insist on installing the feet on their speakers. they (and their users) claim that it is necessary to achieve the designed sound.

currently, my M80s stand on a rather thick, short pile. adding feet would only impress 4 holes into the carpet semi-permanently. the older speakers - not having feet - left a minimal impression on the carpet that some vacuuming took care of. i won't put the feet on the M80s for the same reason.... unless someone knows otherwise.

i don't mean to start some major controversy here - just curious about this particular case.

Cheers,

Elden
Posted By: Mojo Re: Are the feet included with M80s necessary? - 04/12/07 01:36 PM
Hi,

I could not notice a sonic difference with or without the feet. I too have mine on short pile carpet.
Personally, I think the feet that Axiom supplies look a bit funny, but I wanted to raise my M60s up a bit, so I got a pair from a door-to-door salesman. Or Jehovah's Witness I guess they like to be called....

There have been many posts on this subject. Alan, has said time and time again that the spikes, rubber feet, etc. provide no sonic benefit. The Spikes assist in stabilizing the speakers with Carpet, and the rubber feet do not ruin wood floors.
Mark, I hereby nominate you for the "Photo of the Year" award.
Posted By: alan Re: Are the feet included with M80s necessary? - 04/12/07 09:14 PM
Hilarious, Mark!

Regards,
Good one, Mark. Although you should have used Ray's feet with the pretty toenails.

I allow for the possibility that raising the height of the tweeters by using the (~1"?) spikes *could* affect the sound depending upon room interactions. I'm not asserting that you, me or anybody else would necessarily be able to discern the difference or that it would be preferable; I'm just saying I think it's possible.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Are the feet included with M80s necessary? - 04/12/07 09:47 PM
I think you have given speaker toe-in, and toe-out, a whole new meaning!
Quote:

I think you have given speaker toe-in, and toe-out, a whole new meaning!

Now THAT's funny!
LOL!!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Are the feet included with M80s necessary? - 04/13/07 01:30 AM
Very good, Mark. Unfortunately there are a lot of insensitive people in this world who would have simply slammed the door in his face. Your simple act of kindness in inviting him into your home and giving him a new purpose in life marks you as a true humanitarian(I liked Larry's line too).
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Are the feet included with M80s necessary? - 04/13/07 02:57 AM
I found an effective way to deal with Jehova Witnesses (and the other religious groups) who show up at the door.

I stop them a few seconds into their spiel and explain thier help won't be necessary. They usually look quizzical and ask why. I respond in my best serious "James Jones" voice, proudly telling them "Because we are practicing Druids".

Generally they ponder that bit of information as I close the door.
This thread is truly humourous on oh so many levels.
© Axiom Message Boards