Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Damaged speaker cone - 04/27/07 09:23 PM
One of the mid range drivers in my M60s has a slight crease in the cone (the white part, not the dust cap). Does anyone have an opinion on how much this might affect the sound? How about any tricks for repairing it?

Thanks.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Damaged speaker cone - 04/27/07 09:41 PM
Hey Joe,

Here is a picture of the bottom woofer on my 80's. It's been this way for a few years, and I don't think it affects the sound. I'm not sure what exactly caused it, but once all my kids are above say 10 years old, I'll order a replacement from Axiom.

Posted By: nickbuol Re: Damaged speaker cone - 04/27/07 10:04 PM
Does anyone know the approx cost to get replacements from Axiom? I've got a crease in the bottom woofer on one of my M60's... I know, I know... Call Axiom, right? I am not ready to do it yet, so I was just wondering if it is $50, $100, $200.... Just ball park...
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Damaged speaker cone - 04/27/07 11:04 PM
They quoted me $46 shipped for the mid range. That seems pretty reasonable. The woofer is probably a little more, but I've got to believe it's less than $100.

Mine's not quite as bad as the picture above, so I may try to live with it for a while. Then again, I'm anal enough that it might bother me until I spring for a replacement. In my mind, I picture it distorting the sound waves but I don't know if that really happens.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Damaged speaker cone - 04/28/07 12:07 AM
Ooh Shawn that looks nasty. I've seen worse, but geez.
Did someone take a nail punch to that driver or what?

On an unrelated note, someone i know bought a Green Egg after i sent them the link from the Axiom thread on the bbq.
Personally i think you should try to claim commission.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Damaged speaker cone - 04/28/07 10:47 AM
You won't hear any difference in sound quality. Put the grill back on and pretend the crease is not there .
Posted By: ihifi Re: Damaged speaker cone - 04/29/07 05:57 AM
Shawn,
I don't think the driver's performance is audibly diminished, but for cosmetic reasons, have you tried to gently suck the cap out with a vaccum cleaner? I have actualy done this in the past on some Sansui speakers, and it worked.
John
© Axiom Message Boards