Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bridgman HTPC-quality DVD player software for Linux - 06/22/07 11:17 AM
What, if anything, is popular these days ? I remember reading about several products over the last few years but can't find any now.

EDIT - fixed the title. I'm looking for high quality DVD playback, not all the other bells & whistles.
I'm not sure it runs on linux, but check out TheaterTek.com, TheaterTek is very popular for people using HTPC's. I've only used it on windows environment. One feature is that it allows for trailers and custom aspect ratios. Nvidia Cards are also recommended.
If you have to pay for it, it likely doesn't run on Linux.
Xine is pretty good, it supports DVD menus too if that's important to you (there's also mplayer but I don't think it supports menus, it plays DVDs fine though).
>>Nvidia Cards are also recommended.

Well, that's out then. I only use AMD processors and ATI graphics. The AMD processor thing is recent.

>>If you have to pay for it, it likely doesn't run on Linux.

Well, it hardly seems right paying good money for something then having to compile it yourself. Heck, between writing and compiling that's pretty much all a developer does

>>Xine is pretty good, it supports DVD menus too if that's important to you

Menus are good. Sometimes normal people might have to use this. Thanks !
© Axiom Message Boards