Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Question regarding adding a amplifier - 06/26/07 03:25 PM
I have a Denon AVR 3801 receiver. If I add a amplifier to my home theater, is my total wattage cumulative (my receiver and amplifiers output), or is it just my amplifiers available output?

Thanks
Posted By: dllewel Re: Question regarding adding a amplifier - 06/26/07 03:29 PM
Just the amp, not cumulative.

Many will use the amp for the front 2 or 3 channels, and let the receiver handle the rear channels. This way you get some from both.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Question regarding adding a amplifier - 06/26/07 03:31 PM
Nope, not cumulative. When using the "pre-out" connections on your Denon, you are bypassing the internal amp and letting the external amp do the work.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Question regarding adding a amplifier - 06/26/07 03:53 PM
Thanks for the help, and quick response. The first suggestion of using a amplifier for my front speakers (majority of my listening is music) and my receiver for the remainder sounds like the cheapest alternative. What are your suggestions for a setup?

Axiom members are awesome!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Question regarding adding a amplifier - 06/26/07 03:57 PM
Can you give us more details as to your room size, speakers, listening habits, etc.? You may find your Denon is more than adequate in the power category. I have a very large room 31ft x 30ft x 9ft ceilings, so adding powerful amp has helped me with being able to fill the room at louder levels with no clipping or distortion. If you have an average to smaller room, your Denon most likely would be fine, unless you like listening at very loud levels.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Question regarding adding a amplifier - 06/26/07 04:16 PM
Yes I do like listening to very high levels :-). My room is 20 x 24 with an 8FT ceiling. I currently have Paradigm monitor 9s for fronts, and lower model Paradigms for a center channel and two surrounds and a EP500 sub. I plan on upgrading and adding more QS8's for surrounds, and a Axiom center channel, as well as adding a set of M80s for fronts, or using both sets of my Paradigm monitor 9s (other set mentioned below)to an amplifier (if possible). I also have another set of Paradigm monitor 9s upstairs, wired to my Denon receiver. In the end, I still need speakers upstairs for backyard entertainment. Hope this isn't too confusing.

Told you I like it loud :-)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Question regarding adding a amplifier - 06/26/07 06:33 PM
Anymore info needed, or was I too detailed? Was really hoping to get some help here.

Thanks again
© Axiom Message Boards