Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hutzal Need a decent 2 channel amp (100wpc or less) - 07/16/07 02:21 PM
I need some suggestions, I have no idea what brands are good, and which aren't. I am looking hard at the BPA-1 to power my studio monitors (either M3s or M22s). I really do not want to spend alot of money, I would prefer a <$200 price tag.

So any ideas? I would really prefer to wait for Axioms 2 channel bookshelf varient with 120wpc...however, I do not think it will be shipping within a month...
Hello Hutzal

Fewer than 100 wpc, less than $200 and you would prefer to wait for Axiom's new amp.

So, here's my suggestion: Sonic Impact T-Amp. 5 wpc, $30.00, audionuts love 'em.

I have a bunch of them. They sound great! You could use this little fella until Axiom is ready to ship you the amp you prefer.

You might want to google Sonic Impact T-Amp and get a load of how many folks love these silly little amps.
6wpc? is that sufficient to drive the M22s and M3s from a seating distance of about 5 feet in a room that is roughly 14x9?
I've got a trends amp, and it does a good job with my M3s and a line-source CD or DVD player. Hooking up my portable MP3 player isn't so good as the output signal is a little low.

I don't know if it would be enough power to be 'sufficient' for your needs or not, as I too would prefer some more power to really crank them up. But it is amazing what 5 or 6 Wpc can do.
I can get this RX-5060B JVC 5.1 receiver for $150CAD with 100wpc...

here are the specs:

The receiver features include: stereo: 100 watts per channel, 8 ohms at 1 kHz, with 10% THD; surround: (front) 100 watts per channel, 8 ohms at 1kHz, with 10% THD; (center) 100 watts, 8 ohms at 1kHz, with 10% THD; (surround) 100 watts per channel, 8 ohms at 1kHz, with 10% THD; Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic II; DTS/DTS 96/24; front AV inputs for easy connection with a video game console (composite video & analog audio); a virtual surround back for creating even wider sound field with 5.1-channel speakers; 3D-phonic; game mode; DAP for multi-channel digital sources: theater 1/theater 2/hall 1/hall 2/dance club/live club/pavilion/all CH stereo; DAP for 2-channel sources: mono film/theater 1/theater 2/hall 1/hall 2/dance club/live club/pavilion/all CH stereo; a 3D headphone; a quick speaker setup; a DSP digital equalizer; a compu link; a multi-brand A/V-STB (CATV/DBS); and a remote control.

whadaya guys think?
10% THD is a red flag to me. Can you find out what the THD is at more reasonable listening levels?
I just got those specs from a website...I really don't know much about amps and such, thanks for the advise, I will NOT be getting that receiver!
You might want to try the on-line bargain finder.
eBay. Picked up a 50wpc Marantz (modern) for ~$80 about a year ago.
Agree used. ebay, craigslist or audiogon. I got a NAD on ebay for $40.
I have decided to just use the Aux RCA inputs in the back of my mini stereo JVC unit until axiom releases the 120wpc 2 channel amp. Its not really worth spending money right now if I am just going to end up getting the Axiom amp, thanks for all the suggestions!
Yezzuh, 6 wpc is plenty for an efficient speaker like the M22. If you listen to head banging music at here come the cops sound levels, then 6 wpc + M22 won't be enough. However, for moderate volume 6 wpc is more than enough.

The M22 is rated by Axiom as 93db in room, that means 1 watt will drive these speakers to 93 db at 1 meter from the speaker. 93 db is really loud relative to my normal listening levels.

If you've googled the Sonic Impact T-Amp, or the Trends Audio upgraded version, you'll see that audionuts love the sound of this amp. So do I.
© Axiom Message Boards