Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/08/07 04:07 PM
I'm finally getting around to mounting my M22s on their FMBs today and I wanted to be sure I was using the proper method of attaching the brackets to the speakers since they don't have a mounting bolt. My current plan is to pre-drill 4 holes into the cabinet (using the bracket as a template) to accept relatively fat 5/8" pan-head wood screws. Sound good?

I also plan to poke a hole in the wall below the bracket (but off to the side to avoid the stud) and fish my speaker wires down to another hole above the baseboard for a cleaner look.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/08/07 08:20 PM
Never mind about the request for opinions. The speakers are up and they look great. They are centered about 4' up the wall and are pointing slightly downward with no toe in. I found that going down one click on the bracket was too far, so I used the included shim to point them downward at the angle I wanted. Similarly, toeing them in one click was a bit too much so I left them straight ahead. I didn't have any black screws handy to match the bracket, so I used some 3/4" silver screws to attach the bracket to the speaker. I felt a satisfying bite as I drove the screws into the cabinet (yes, I pre-drilled!) and I have no doubts about the security of the entire unit.

The listening tests showed a pleasant increase in bass, lending an unbloated roundness to the sound. Also, the music seems to be coming from larger speakers due to the increase in height, an illusion I find very pleasing. There's not much difference in imaging since the speakers are only mounted about 2 - 3" wider and 3" further back than they were before.

All in all, a very worthwhile change. I might post a picture or two later, but I'm currently supervising my two kids as they play in a wading pool full of uncooked rice and beans, and various glass beads and smooth stones (a.k.a. "treasures).
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/08/07 08:38 PM
Looking forward to some pics pete.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/08/07 11:08 PM
Quote:

The listening tests showed a pleasant increase in bass, lending an unbloated roundness to the sound. Also, the music seems to be coming from larger speakers due to the increase in height, an illusion I find very pleasing. There's not much difference in imaging since the speakers are only mounted about 2 - 3" wider and 3" further back than they were before.

Yeah. Whatever.

Has a veil been lifted or not?
Posted By: CV Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/08/07 11:16 PM
Ha ha ha, I lifted your mom's veil last night!

I'm really sorry. "Mounting older" in the subject header made me think of that, but maybe I was pre-destined to think of it anyway.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/09/07 03:46 AM
Lifting sombebody's mother's veil and hoisting your own petard are two entirely different things.
Posted By: CV Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/09/07 03:47 AM
I'm still learning.
Posted By: duckman Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/09/07 05:16 AM
I wanna see pics of the "trasures"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/09/07 03:42 PM
Pics, as promised. Notice the spot reserved for the TV in between....

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/09/07 03:57 PM
Good work, Peter! By my scientific eyeballing, you should be able to get a 47-50" TV in there no problem.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/09/07 07:46 PM
Wow, you totally flipped the room around. Looks good!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/09/07 10:16 PM
It will look even better when we get around to putting some of Adam's pictures on the walls.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/09/07 10:38 PM
Looking good Peter.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/10/07 01:57 AM
My kids have that same carpet car city, how funny.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/13/07 02:44 AM
Who's the giant in the orange shirt?

Beautiful children, Peter.

And the speaker install looks first rate, too.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/13/07 02:57 AM
Everything(and everybody)is looking good, Peter, but watch those suggestive titles for your posts; BigJohn may be lurking.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/13/07 02:57 PM
Speaking of first-rate speaker installs, when I first sat down on my couch after I finished the installation the left speaker looked higher than the right speaker. I knew I had measured (and measured again) from the ground up and the ceiling down to be sure the brackets were at equal heights on the wall, but then I was second guessing whether I had ensured the brackets were at equal heights on the M22s. I had used intersecting diagonal lines drawn across the backs of the M22s to determine the midpoints -- maybe I made a mistake? So I measured from the ceiling down to the top of each speaker and discovered that they are well within 1/16" of each other. Whew!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/13/07 03:24 PM
Quote:

Speaking of first-rate speaker installs, when I first sat down on my couch after I finished the installation the left speaker looked higher than the right speaker. I knew I had measured (and measured again) from the ground up and the ceiling down to be sure the brackets were at equal heights on the wall, but then I was second guessing whether I had ensured the brackets were at equal heights on the M22s. I had used intersecting diagonal lines drawn across the backs of the M22s to determine the midpoints -- maybe I made a mistake? So I measured from the ceiling down to the top of each speaker and discovered that they are well within 1/16" of each other. Whew!

I am happy to hear that I am not alone with the whole OCD thing...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/13/07 07:34 PM
But doesn't it bug you that they don't LOOK even....even if they measure well?

Sure would bug me.

I'd be starin' at it all the time.

wow.

too bad the install wasn't up to snuff.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/13/07 08:45 PM
Actually, once I had ensured that the speakers were, in fact, even, the illusion collapsed. Knowledge is power. I should really buy myself a laser level that sticks to the wall, though. I'm making do with a "construction orange" colored overly-long mason's level (the kind with three spirit bubbles in it -- one for horizontal and two for vertical).
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/13/07 11:16 PM
Just make sure the laser in your level is blue.
Posted By: alan Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/14/07 03:42 PM
Love those analog spirit-bubble levels! None of that fancy-schmancy laser stuff for me. Adorable kids, Peter.

Regards,
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/14/07 05:22 PM
They are that.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/15/07 01:26 AM
For some reason i edit-read Alan's email (reading too quickly i suppose) and it came out like this:

Love those analog spirit-bubble fancy-schmancy laser kids, Peter.

It was a tired afternoon.

Posted By: homegrown5 Re: Mounting older (pre bolted) M22s - 09/26/07 02:46 PM
I have not laughed that hard in a long time. Good read...
© Axiom Message Boards