Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MIKEY Componet Cable.. - 12/16/02 09:24 PM
Is there a difference between normal shielded audio cable, and componet cable ? I need to run 15 feet or so, and this stuff is expensive, eh.. Best deal so far has been Wall Mart, at 20 buck U.S. for 6 feet.. Can I just buy individual lengths and run the needed three leads, or do I have to purchase the red/gree/blue componet stuff ?
By the by, Home Depot has 14 gauge oxygen free, pure copper speaker wire at 35 dollars U.S. for 100 feet.. (RCA brand)..

Posted By: Semi_On Re: Componet Cable.. - 12/16/02 09:53 PM
A thread on finding long cable lengths at ArsTechnica:
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=67909965&m=4470913145

As to whether or not there's a difference, I doubt it but I've been curious about this myself.
Posted By: Patchwork Re: Componet Cable.. - 12/17/02 02:36 PM
hold on,

you want to run speaker cable for your component connections?

that's a real bad idea. get shielded cable. you will get tons of interference if you run speaker cable, and not shielded coax with proper connecters at the end.
Posted By: Semi_On Re: Componet Cable.. - 12/17/02 04:42 PM
Actually, I thought he meant 3 standard composite cables.
Posted By: Patchwork Re: Componet Cable.. - 12/17/02 10:05 PM
Maybe... 3 seperate composite will work as long as it follows the specs of component
Posted By: Semi_On Re: Componet Cable.. - 12/17/02 10:25 PM
I was checking out the crappy cables at a local store from Monster. I'm relatively convinced their component cables are no different then thair composite.
Posted By: Patchwork Re: Componet Cable.. - 12/18/02 02:05 PM
this seems true to me

i think they are just 3 75 ohm calbes stuck to each other, and they are color coded.
Posted By: MIKEY Re: Componet Cable.. - 12/18/02 11:44 PM
Thanks Patch.. Exactly what I'm trying to find out.. Is it or isn't it ? I would guess it is the same, only purhaps a bit better quality ? Maybe extra shielding, or beefed wire size ? Just don't like the idea of paying a bundle for something not really needed, or warranted..
I have done some more shopping around, and found a company called CALRAD Electric.. Great looking stuff, for about half the price of the big brand names.. 20 ft componet for 34 dollars US.. And, optical/toslink at 6.75 for 1 meter.. They also offer a thicker (5mm) optical at 16.20, gold plated ends, etc.. Their web is www.calrad.com
I ran across their gear at a discount store called Orvac Electronics in Fullerton, Calif.. (714) 871-1020 if interested..
Posted By: seanandredj Re: Componet Cable.. - 12/31/02 03:14 PM
MIKEY,

I maybe late for this discussion but if you are looking for a very cheap component cable, try buy.com, I bought my optics(AR) and component cable (RCA) there at a very cheap price. That's the only site i've seen that has a cheaper price plus free shipping....
© Axiom Message Boards