Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/21/07 08:51 PM
I was just curious if any of you have 2,3, or even 4 EP model subs, and how are you hooking them up?

I suppose one option would be to use "Y" type cables to seperate the low signals coming out of the AVR.

Or, can you just daisy chain them togethor since there is an input and output on the back of these subs?

Are there any issues with calibrating such a setup? Ian is a big on using this type of scenario over treatments and eq.

I was just thinking about if I ever added 2 EP350(new), 2 EP400, or 2 EP500's to the side walls and put the EP600 on the front wall again, how I would accomplish this task.

Randy
Posted By: a401classic Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/21/07 09:09 PM
Hey Randy,

I recall seeing a post from Alan regarding this and seem to recall that he recommended daisy-chaining thru the in/out ports on the sub. I'm considering a second EP500 to smooth things out as well.

Scott
Posted By: jakewash Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/21/07 09:34 PM
Mojo and I hooked up 2 subs daisy chained at our last meeting and we had no problems this way. Certainly an easy way to do it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/21/07 11:12 PM
I was thinking mojo told me he could not get daisy chain to work with his 600, maybe that was with his old Sony sub?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 12:15 AM
Found an old quote from Alan.

"Check the back of your subs. Axiom has line-level outputs on the back of its subs that let you run a coaxial cable to daisy-chain a second subwoofer--or a third. Other manufacturers may or may not offer that output jack."

Looks like daisy chaining might be an option.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 12:38 AM
Randy,

I indeed cannot daisy chain my Sony sub to my 600. When I do so, the Sony's output is severely attenuated. When I connect just the Sony, it sounds like it should. I have not been able to establish why this is happening.

At Jason's house, we daisy-chained my Sony to his sub and then to his Denon without issue. And jakeman tells me that he's daisy-chained multiple subs out of the 600. So the issue could be related to my Denon's sub output not being able to handle the additional load or some problem with the 600.

I have to get my hands on another sub to establish where the fault lies.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 12:45 AM
What type of sub does Jason have, I don't see it in his profile?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 03:59 AM
I don't remember. It's something like 20 years old.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 04:04 AM
It is an old D-box sub I picked up from Costco way back when subs were just becoming popular for HT, circa 1993 or 94 I believe. A new one is next on my list. Although the M60s(soon to be M80s) may make it harder for me to upgrade as they work so well.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 04:28 AM
Either way, Randy. Probably if the second sub is nearby, a daisy chain should be set up(with subs that have that provision)since the connection would be shorter. If the subs are widely separated for help with room modes, a Y-connection with separate cables from the receiver/processor makes more sense for the same reason.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 02:10 PM
my question would be how would you calibrate each sub when they are all daisy chained to one source? Would you calibrate all (lets say 4) subs to 75db still? If all 4 sub were calibrated to 75db, would the total output of all the subs be 75db or more?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 02:13 PM
I would calibrate them each individually and then use the sub channel's trim level in your pre-amp/receiver to dial down the final level a bit to account for the increased loudness.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hooking up multiple EP subs. - 10/22/07 06:25 PM
Hey JohnK,

Since my room is open on one side, I was thinking about daisy chaining at least 3 of them togethor if there is no distance issues with coax. So the right front, left, and rear walls would be one signal...the right wall could be seperated, but would not have to....
© Axiom Message Boards