Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Should I have a separate outlet?? - 10/31/07 08:39 PM
Should I run a separate 12 or 15 amp circuit just for my RPA-1?

Thanks
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 10/31/07 10:09 PM
If you want, many people run a seperate circuit (20amp) for their HT and AV stuff. Not sure you need a seperate line just for the amp, seems like a waste.

My 20 amp circuit runs my:
Denon 2805
2 Odyssey Khartago Extreme monoblock amps (for the 80's)
HTPC
Sony CD player
Velodyne SMS-1 EQ system
Sanyo Z2 projector
and a few other things.
Posted By: alexadams77 Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 10/31/07 10:21 PM
I run the following all on one outlet w/power bar and only plugging in one thing into the spare outlet;

Computer
Modem
Printer
HD Cable Box
DVD Player
Receiver
Plasma TV
Computer Sub-woofer
Wireless Router

I've had no problems as of yet, but I was thinking of using another power bar from another outlet to unload that outlet a wee bit.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 10/31/07 10:30 PM
I forgot to mention I also have a Tripp Lite surge/conditioner that shows amperage readings. I rarely see it jump over 4 or so.
Posted By: Wid Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 10/31/07 11:01 PM
Here is a link to figure out current, amps, volts and ohms. With it you can fugure out how much current you draw in amps.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 10/31/07 11:07 PM
The link man......... \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 10/31/07 11:11 PM
Alex, you're not loading it one little bit unless you're using a MoDem and printer from 30 years ago.
Posted By: RickF Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 10/31/07 11:16 PM
Obviously this was the proper forum so I'm pasting my previous reply in the 'Home Theatre' forum to the 'Technical Questions' forum...

"I'm trying to figure where I need to answer ... here or in the 'Technical Questions' forum.

I ran a complete 20 amp circuit for our system with it's own breaker box separate from the main breaker for the house, only because it was available. Are you asking about running a complete circuit for the amp or just another outlet from your existing circuit?"

\:\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 11/01/07 01:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Alex, you're not loading it one little bit unless you're using a MoDem and printer from 30 years ago.

Unless he has all that gear plus
his PC is running a 700w powers supply to feed multiple hard drives in raid configuration, an external HD, dual SLI linked video cards that take so much power they each require their own separate rail from the power supply, two monitors (one a 22"CRT), and a 5.1 PC surround system where all speakers are powered via a PS in the sub woofer connected to the same outlet.

OK, that's not quit my PC but close. I have but one internal drive.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 11/01/07 02:21 PM
Do you see much of an advantage to SLI? I've been debating (in my little fantasty world where I could afford it) going to Crossfire (yes, I got stuck with ATi), but a lot of what I'm reading says it's not worth it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 11/01/07 03:04 PM
It's not worth it. Yes, you get better performance, but so far off the twice as good for twice the price mark that it's almost akin to biwiring.
Posted By: Murph Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 11/01/07 03:09 PM
I have two NVidia 7900GT cards. Both are the BFG (Factory overclocked) versions.. It's an older card but it ran pretty good on it's own. I honestly didn't notice a difference worth doubling a cost (2nd card). UNTIL.... I got into raid situations playing Vanguard. It made a HUGE difference when I got into situations where tons of players are all running around on the screen at once, many creating advanced particle effects with spells and such. I used to have to turn the settings down if I knew I was going into a raid or a super player packed area, now only the most extreme incidents cause me to lag out due to video.

If you are wondering what Vanguard is, think World of Warcraft but without 6 to 10 year olds running around everywhere being idiots. Because it's a long awaited new game from one of the original designers of Everquest, it's mostly full of middle agers who used to play EQ1. Well, mostly...

Edit: In fairness, my second card is a lender from a friend who bought the same card as me at the same sale. His PC is smoked so I thought it was a good opportunity to borrow a second card and experiment with SLI. I'll miss it when I give it back, but honestly don't know if I will go buy a 2nd. I hardly ever raid in Vanguard as I'm mostly a casual player putting in maybe 6 to 10 hours a week.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 11/01/07 04:44 PM
That's pretty much what I've read. Time to stop buying mobos with that capability...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Should I have a separate outlet?? - 11/01/07 05:37 PM
Its always been my belief SLI was designed with extreme gamers in mind. I couldn't think of ANY other user that would need that kind of power in the home enviroment.
© Axiom Message Boards