Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Haoleb A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:20 AM
For those of you with the EP600 or 500 is there a small crease type thing where the rubber surround attaches to the aluminum cone?

I brought the EP600 up to my place because I have been wanting to try a sub in my system so I figured what better way to find out if I want one than to try the best. Well I was playing this "thx worlds deepest bass" thing i have on my computer and was able to find out the limits of the sub itself. Heard this unnatural overdriven sound (I didnt think that was possible with this sub and the DSP?!) and some port chuffing, But then When i turned it off I noticed that crease all around the cone and cant remember if it was like that before or if I actually sortof bent the cone... all the way round...
Posted By: Mojo Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:38 AM
There is definitely a "crease" all around the circumference.

And yes, the 600 can be made to chuff and sound "over-driven" with high enough gain and low enough frequency. However, these sounds do not occur naturally or if they do, they are very short duration. If you pump a 17Hz or 18Hz tone continuously into the 600 at full gain, you'll give it a bad case of flatulence \:\) .

Try the same thing you just tried with any other sub. It will send you running for cover as you hear the motor bottoming out, the port(s) chuffing like they're gonna blow and the amp smelling like it's gonna ignite.
Posted By: CV Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:42 AM
There's no crease! You've both damaged 600s!

Seriously, one of these days I'm going to contribute something meaningful to this message board.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:47 AM
Well, that explains then why I have no snap, slap, slam and thump.
Posted By: JohnK Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:50 AM
Yeah Brandon, there's a crease all around the rim of my EP500 cone as well. Of course, I don't know if it was there before I fired up The Planets!
Posted By: Haoleb Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:59 AM
lol thanks guys. I really couldnt imagine having pushed it so hard as to bend the cone that way but I couldnt remember it being there before.

It would have been kinda cool if It had actually bent itself though... I think. \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 08:03 AM
Well...if you really want to try get yourself a square wave generator. You might be able to make it pucker up.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 08:17 AM
Thats got me thinking... I wonder if anyone has tried hooking up a big woofer to the 120v mains power before. That would probably be intersting. If only for a second.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 08:24 AM
It wouldn't take that long. The breaker would trip faster than that.
Posted By: BrenR Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 08:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Well...if you really want to try get yourself a square wave generator. You might be able to make it pucker up.
If you ever want to borrow mine... sine, pulse, triangle, TTL pulse, CMOS pulse (and I think skewed sine?)...

Just let me be there when the magic smoke comes out.

Bren R.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 04:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: BrenR

Bren R.

LOL! \:D
Brandon:
I hate to, but have to disagree with the others. You've ruined the 600, and Axiom won't replace it since it was "user fault".

I feel bad for you though, so I'll offer you 200 bucks for it if you pay shipping from Hawaii. I'll make a plant stand out of it.

Even though the cone is damaged, and I'm sure the amp is as well, just leave those parts in when you ship it and I'll recycle them safely on my end. I'll PM you my address shortly...
 Originally Posted By: BrenR

I fried a studio flash unit's capacitors at a clients yesterday. The unit started smoking, then making a "fizzling" sound, then a liquid came out of the unit. To say it stunk was an understatement.

I'm just glad it peed on his carpet instead of anything we were shooting. He's a museum-quality antique furniture dealer and his pieces generally range from $100,000 to $600,000 each!

Since this thread was resolved anyway, I'll hijack it further and ask if anyone knows what the liquid would have been?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 04:38 PM
Brandon, you should really take Mark up on his offer. I can't believe how generous he is being taking your useless box off your hands. Man, other forums only wish for such a tightly knit community.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 04:45 PM
It's usually made of ethylene glycol and borax or something like that. I'd avoid eating it if I was you.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 04:46 PM
\:D .
Posted By: Haoleb Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 05:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Brandon:
I hate to, but have to disagree with the others. You've ruined the 600, and Axiom won't replace it since it was "user fault".

I feel bad for you though, so I'll offer you 200 bucks for it if you pay shipping from Hawaii. I'll make a plant stand out of it.

Even though the cone is damaged, and I'm sure the amp is as well, just leave those parts in when you ship it and I'll recycle them safely on my end. I'll PM you my address shortly...

It never ceases to amaze me how generous people around here can be. And on any forum really. People are so willing to open up their homes to big, heavy, ugly stereo equipment that others wouldnt ever dream of wanting. This subwoofer certainly falls into two of those categories. My arms would attest to that after carrying this behemoth about 200' then up two flights of stairs in one go lastnight. \:o
Posted By: Mojo Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:03 PM
It's big, it's heavy but I wouldn't classify it as ugly. It's one of the nicest looking subs that I've laid eyes on. Even my wife likes it and thinks that it complements our space. I love my wife .
Posted By: RickF Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
I love my wife .

That's good to know Mojo, whenever you started talking about sharing your 'laptop cooler' with Wid I was beginning to wonder.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:22 PM
ha ha lol
Posted By: Mojo Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/10/07 07:27 PM
Is he cute and cuddly \:D ?
Posted By: BrenR Re: A bad question to have to ask but.... - 11/12/07 10:59 PM
It's an electrolytic solution... since it's full of electrolytes and so is Gatorade... I bet it tastes like Gatorade.

Ethylene glycol (similar to automotive antifreeze) and a "salt" (usually ammonium borate) - both are water soluable, thankfully.

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards