Axiom Home Page
Firmware Update Version: 2.7 came out Tue. This firmware update adds support for 1080p/24Hz output and for more on-screen language display options. In addition, this firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web- enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.
Looks like they finally fixed the 1080p/24HZ problem. I'll be curiouse to see how this affects playback. Updating my XA2 now.
I've updated mine as well but haven't played a movie on the new firmware. Also has toshibo boosted the LFE analog channel in this firmware?
I have heard reports that Transformers Blackout base attack has more LFE...I have yet to update my A20 and test it.
Cool. Even though I can download it on my PC and make a disk, this will be my incentive to get my network jacks connected in my A/V rack and plug it in that way to try that out. Besides, then I can get the online extras too. Thanks for the heads up.
They also added DTS-HD:M decoding. I believe I am why they came out with this update. I didn't believe they would, so I bought the A35........dammit.
Updated my 2 HD-A2s with 2.7 the other night. All went well, but not sure what it changed on the A2--perhaps just some compatibility issues.
Reading over on the Audioholics site it sounds like some folks are having a difficult time downloading the 2.1 firmware update on some media, I'm curious if anyone here is have the same problems? Also somebody there said the 2.7 update improved the disc loading time on the A2.

2.7 Firmware Update Thread
 Originally Posted By: jakeman
I've updated mine as well but haven't played a movie on the new firmware. Also has toshibo boosted the LFE analog channel in this firmware?

LMAO, it it a huge surprise to hear that John is concerned with the LFEs first and foremost? \:\)
So what is the opinion of this newest firmware, is it worth it?

Oh heck with it I just updated it anyway. Now I have to watch a movie. I just got SRV in so I think I'll give it a spin. I just hope it helps with load times. This thing is painfully slow.
I have a technical question. I'm tired of waiting for Toshiba to send me my update disk, and I don't have access to an ethernet connection (wireless). I've been able to download the updates to my desktop, but that's as far as I can go.

I'm running a Mac and want to know if there is some software I can download that will help me open the update files so I can burn them to a disk?
there is a post in this thread:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=181280&fpart=23

that talks about free software to use
And for the A3/A30/A35 owners who may be reading this, there is an update available for them as well. It's not posted at Toshiba, but it was available two or three days ago and the number is 1.3

No idea what it fixes, but it was painless.
You know, I tried downloading that before, but it didn't seem to work. Do you know if that works for a Mac? (scratches head)

Let me take another stab at it.
Mac ISO

Try this
Cool, thanks for the link, bug! Downloaded, burned, and updated!! It worked.

Once I hang my QS8s, I'll be watching an HD movie tonight and test out the new firmware doohickies.

By the way, I really do appreciate the link. Can't believe how easy it really was.

It did it right away this morning, and meant to post, but the forum went down again.
Great!
Wow, this is a great update with both 1080p/24 and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding. The DTS-HD Master support is a first for all the Hi Def players (HD-DVD or Blu-ray). This is great news for either camp (I've got a blu-ray player and hope this gives incentive for them to get on board).

Thanks for the news Michael.
Does the 1080p include the A2, or that is still 720p?
I don't believe the A2 will ever do 1080p/24.

It is limited to 720p and 1080i from my understanding.
Thought so, but had to check...1080p for $100 would be too good to pass up.
Zarak, you can get the A30 1080p player from amazon for $303.36 and it comes with 10 free movies

check this thread:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=185075#Post185075
Thanks...no new purchases for me until after I sell a house though. We are staring at two mortgages if our places doesn't sell in the next month. Anyone want to buy a townhouse in PA? \:\)
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
Firmware Update Version: 2.7 came out Tue. This firmware update adds support for 1080p/24Hz output and for more on-screen language display options. In addition, this firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web- enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.
Looks like they finally fixed the 1080p/24HZ problem. I'll be curiouse to see how this affects playback. Updating my XA2 now.

Funny, the disc they just sent me was v2.5/T23... Even though my D2 player is limited to 1080i, is there any benefit to downloading and installing the v2.7 update?

Scott
 Quote:
Even though my D2 player is limited to 1080i, is there any benefit to downloading and installing the v2.7 update?

That I'm not sure about, mdrew may have the answer since he is one of the more technically proficient members in regards to this kind of stuff. I have read that it does improve SD playback on models like the A20 if your monitor can support the higher frame rate.
It may fix issues like disc compatibility and sound droput problems. Probably still worth the upgrade.
 Quote:
Anyone want to buy a townhouse in PA?

How close to DC is it? ;\)
2hr 44min close enough for you? ;\)
Directions

The family room has a nice layout for a big screen TV and two good walls to put the surround speakers on. Always a plus with this crowd.
Funny, I just made most of that drive last Friday, when I picked up my little brother from Philly. He's college-bound next year and was checking out Temple University as they have a good cello program there.

So, thanks for the offer, but a commute like that would kill me. I drive 8 miles to work right now. \:\)
Just an update-Firmware Update Information for Owners of Toshiba HD DVD Players: Models HD-A30, HD-A3, HD-D3, and HD-A35
Toshiba
Thanks for the info. As usual, they are SOOO informative about the reason for the upgrade... Anyone here knows why Toshiba doesn't say anything about the actual content of their upgrades? (the info on the link is their standard text for months and is so generic that it does not mean anything). I wish I were able to determine if I need those upgrades or not! This is not a risk-free process, my previous A20 flashdisk died on me...
I remember back 'in the day' when I did PC support for a living and BIOS upgrades were often a necessity. It was always a hold your breath moment when you popped in that disk and rebooted.
Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but I have never had a problem with a bios update, and being in IT I've had to do them quite often through the years. I don't even think twice about it if I need one, I'm actually more concerned that a patch will break something than a BIOS update.
I don't want to totally give my age away but I'm talking about bios updates on 5 1/4 inch floppies. If you had perfect luck with them back then, I bow to you and chant "I'm not Worthy".
Lots of BIOS updates on 3.5" floppies, I don't think I've had to do them on 5.25" though.
with a HD-A2 and a 1080p panasonic plasma, 42pz77u. when i play SD dvd's should i tell the player to output 1080i or 720p? i have read places that it is easier to convert from 720p to 1080p then 1080i to 1080p. this is with standard definition dvds.
go into the setting menu with the a2 (I think you can press the menu button whith no dvd loaded to get there). You can change the video output to 720p from that menu.

As far as the conversion difference from 720p to 1080p vs 1080i to 1080p I have no idea.
i know how to change it, i was wondering which would yield a better picture.
1080i. 1080i/60 frames is the same resolution as 1080p/30 frames. The TV will not display an image before both frames are in anyway.
 Originally Posted By: acacia987
i know how to change it, i was wondering which would yield a better picture.
That depends on the native resolution of your TV, most newer TVs have native resoltion that is 720P or 1080P but the some of the older HD TVs had native resolutions that were 1080i. Using the native resolutions eliminates any extra processing and yields a cleaner picture, from what I have been able to discern from many different readings.
1080p, (look up a couple posts)
I have an upconverting 1080P DVD player and run it to my 1080P Samsung and the pic looks great even with just SD dvd's. Does the A2 not upconvert to 1080P? If so go with that. Otherwise I would go 720P.
The A2 upconverts up to 1080i
My TV does only 480, 480p, or 1080i. I'm really impressed with the upscaling on my A2 to 1080i. Some of my good SD DVD's look better than some a couple of my poorer HD-DVDS. Proving once again, source is such an important factor.
© Axiom Message Boards