Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Worfzara From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/19/07 02:00 PM
Good day all

I attended my 4 year old's christmas concert last night. And like 20 other dad's, I had my DV video camera in hand and got some great footage (really cute watching these 3 and 4 year olds try to belt out Jingle Bells). So I burned the footage to a DVD this morning using my LG DVD burner. Now I want take some of the footage from the DVD and create an AVI or MPG to send to friends and family via Email or to post on a website.

Does any body know of some free software the does this and is easy to use.

Thanks

Paul
Posted By: pmbuko Re: From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/20/07 02:08 PM
If you still have the original DV video, it's much easier to go to AVI or MPG from that.

What software did you use to make the DVD? I hear Windows Movie Maker isn't too shabby, but I've never used it myself (being a Mac guy).
Posted By: Worfzara Re: From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/20/07 03:19 PM
I didn't use any software to make the DVD. I used my LG DVD recoreder in my audio rack, not my computer by using a DV cable that syncs both devices.

How would I hook up my DV camera to the computer. I still have the footage on the tape.

Paul
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/20/07 04:05 PM
Do you have firewire ports on your pc? Or does the camera have a usb port? You could connect it to the pc that way.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/20/07 04:19 PM
you may find this link helpful:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/getstarted/DLmovies.mspx

I think windows movie maker allows you to save your movies as *.wmv or *.avi files
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/20/07 04:30 PM
Quick and dirty way is to use handbrake to convert the DVD to an AVI or MPEG file.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/20/07 04:57 PM
Thanks, that link really helps. I think I will push it straight to my PC from now on.

Paul
Posted By: Worfzara Re: From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/22/07 12:16 PM
Ok, I did this last night and it worked great!

Thanks all
Posted By: terzaghi Re: From DVD to Hard Drive - 12/22/07 04:10 PM
glad to hear everything worked out ok
© Axiom Message Boards