Axiom Home Page
Posted By: R Kim Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/06/08 06:52 AM
Hello!

I was planning on purchasing a pair of QS4's for my L/R surrounds, but was wondering what would be a good set of speakers for the rear speakers on my 7.1 system? Another pair of QS4s or would any old bookshelf speakers do?

Posted By: Ajax Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/06/08 02:26 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum. The QS series speakers are the best surrounds I've ever heard. If you are talking about a home theater setup, IMHO, you couldn't do better than using QS speakers as both side and rear surrounds. I think you would be delighted with them.

On the other hand, yes, any old bookshelf speaker would "do" for rear surrounds. They would be neither as versatile when it comes to placement, nor as effective as the QS series, but, if the budget is tight, they will suffice.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/06/08 03:57 PM
R Kim,

Can you tell us more about your room size. This has a lot to do with what type of speakers a person should consider.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/06/08 05:49 PM
Kim,

I have QS8s for rears and sides. I am convinced about the QS8s as sides but not as rears...at least not if you are sitting 13 feet away from them. I've wanted to try direct radiating for rears but I haven't had the time yet. So my advice is that if you plan on sitting far away from them, examine your room geometry and definitely consider experimenting with direct radiators and reflectors as well. M3s would be a good bet for rears.
Posted By: R Kim Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/06/08 08:50 PM
Hello again!

Thanks for the quick responses =)

If you can picture a long rectangle lying flat, my couch should be placed on the bottom, middle- with about 9-10 feet on either side. So, the Surround L/R will be about 9-10 feet away, placed about 6 feet up on the wall.

If it matters, I've got a Sony STR-DG910 receiver. Anyone else here have this model receiver?
Posted By: Supermann Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/08/08 05:33 PM
Kim, I agreed with Mojo. I use to have the QS8s for rear and now changed to M22s for my rear. My sitting is about 10ft far from the rear speakers. I like more direct and it works great for my theater room (15x28x8). In my opinion, QS8s are very good for sides.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/08/08 10:54 PM
Supermann, what did you do with the rear QS8s? Maybe I can upgrade to M22s .
Posted By: jakewash Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/09/08 01:00 AM
Any time you want to try out the M22s as rears let me know. I would like to hear your system set up that way too.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/09/08 02:08 AM
Thanks. If only we could just prop them up somehow. They'll probably hang just fine off the speaker wire I'm sure.

You still haven't heard the audiobytes. I'm home on Wednesday.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/09/08 04:24 AM
As in tomorrow? And aren't your Q's using the bolt on the back? We could just use the M22 sideways for a quick comparison.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/09/08 04:28 AM
No bolt. I hung them by the T bracket. Yes, tomorrow.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Newbie Question: Surround Speakers - 01/09/08 04:29 AM
You have a drill right?;\) I will call you or should we just plan for 1:00ish
© Axiom Message Boards