Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mastaplaya No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 07:39 PM
I just poped the breaker that most of my home theater is on and now I get no sound from my sub's. I have the Ep 600's and they have performed flawlessly until now. Is it possable that I just blew a fuse on the sub amp? I pulled them all out and the clear ones look fine but one of them is white and I cant tell if its good. They power up fine the green light is on would they do this if the fuse was blown? Help! by the way I am running a denon 4308 for an amp and I cant even get the test tone to play through the sub's. All the other speakers work fine.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 07:48 PM
Sounds like a bad fuse. Don't suppose you have any extra on hand? May require a trip to Radio Shack. I don't know if the manual states what type of fuse is needed, so maybe a call to Axiom will help.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 07:53 PM
I suppose I could just yank the fuse out of the amp and take it with me. It just seems funny to me the the green light on the amp would be on if the fuse was blown. would I be correct in assuming the light would go out or turn amber or am I wrong?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 08:05 PM
Dunno. I had a fuse blow in my amp and the power light stayed on, but it made my left speaker sound crackly.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 08:09 PM
Guess it cant hurt to replace the fuse I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: mapatton Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 08:35 PM
Fuses are made so it can be seen if they are blown or not. Being that you can not see to tell, chances are high that it is blown.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 09:47 PM
Checked the fuses on an ohm meter and they check out good. could their be a fuse blown in my denon? is their a seperate subwoofer circuit and fuse? as I said everything else works fine. Also my sub's had a slight hum before and now only one has it and it is quieter hardly audible.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 10:23 PM
Have you tried unplugging them and letting them sit for a minuted before plugging them back in, not sure that will help but it is worth a try.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 10:42 PM
I'll give it a try.

I'm starting to get a little worried.
I've got over $3k worth of sub's sitting there doing nothing.
With my luck I probably melted something down.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 10:47 PM
The sub amp's still feel slightly warm to the touch when powered up.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 11:18 PM
Had them unplugged for 30 min and still nothing.

I'm using the test tone on the 4308 in the speker level setting menu no matter what my settings are on the reciver I should get sound from the subs when doing this shouldn't I? I know allot of you out there use the 3808 which is virtually the same anyone have simalar problems?
Posted By: mapatton Re: No sound from sub's - 01/13/08 11:56 PM
Maybe power cycling them (including unplugging power)? (sub and AVR) Not familiar but theri may be a breaker in there.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 12:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: mapatton
Maybe power cycling them (including unplugging power)? (sub and AVR) Not familiar but theri may be a breaker in there.

Been there done that and still nothing.
I'm really baffled

Thanks for the help so far if you have any other ideas let me know. Im going to call Axiom tomorrow to see if they have any ideas.
Posted By: mapatton Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 12:16 AM
2 things you might be able to check tonight before your call.

1. How about replacing all fuses? (They appear to be labeled with values on the outside of the sub)
2. Can you run speaker cable into the hi-level inputs as a test? (instead of balanced or line level)

Another item just to take it out of the equation is test one sub at a time, and plug it into a different outlet.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 01:00 AM
Masta, any chance you have another AVR, even an old one laying around. This would help rule out if the receiver is to blame. Resetting the microproccesor on the receiver might be an option to put it back to defaults.
Posted By: Wid Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 01:08 AM

Try the high level inputs on the sub to see if you get any sound.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 03:25 AM
Tried the high level inputs - Nothing
Tried rsetting microproccesor on the denon - Nothing
Tried an old AVR with high level input (No SW output) - Nothing
I'm going to replace all the fuses in the sub amps tomorrow even though they tested good with an ohm meter. If that doesn't work I'll make the call to axiom. As far as I can tell it seems to be a sub amp problem seem to have ruled out the AVR.

On a positive note the M 80's put out some huge bass for their size. just not quite as much as the 600's, still sounds awesome though.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 03:36 AM
how many 600's do you have?!!?
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 03:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
how many 600's do you have?!!?

2 huge paperweight's right now.
Posted By: JohnK Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 03:55 AM
MP, yes it'd appear that if the speaker outputs on the receiver drive the regular speakers, but no sound results from connecting them to the subs, that the problem is internal to the subs. Sure, try new fuses anyway despite the satisfactory testing.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 04:19 AM
Thanks for all the help guys it's much appreciated. I'll post back with any new findings.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/14/08 06:19 PM
Called Axiom and they are sending out a new amp for one of the subs to see if that cures the problem. Cant say enough about the customer sevice these guys offer. Most companies once they have the money in their hand your on your own but not Axiom, they got your back!
Posted By: a401classic Re: No sound from sub's - 01/15/08 09:24 AM
There are 3 little fuses that need to be checked with a multi-meter. You may want to try this before swaping the amp. I seem to blow these little fuses on a semi regular basis. I'm beginning to think it's either the electrical system or my pre-pro...

Scott
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/15/08 08:57 PM
Checked them, they were fine but replaced them anyway and still nothing.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No sound from sub's - 01/16/08 01:33 AM
Have you called Axiom?
Posted By: BrenR Re: No sound from sub's - 01/16/08 08:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Have you called Axiom?
SQ - see the message three up from yours where he says "Called Axiom and they are sending out a new amp for one of the subs to see if that cures the problem."

Bren R.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No sound from sub's - 01/16/08 06:43 PM
lol
:)~
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/24/08 04:16 AM
Just an update. Got the new amp today and it cured the problem for one sub the other is still dead. This has me wondering what actually happened to the amp? and why the fuses didnt pop protecting the amp? I'll have to talk to axiom again to let them know the outcome and see what they plan on doing with the other amp.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No sound from sub's - 01/24/08 04:18 AM
good luck, it would be interesting to find out from Axiom what they found on the amp you returned them.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: No sound from sub's - 01/24/08 04:25 AM
I'll try to get that info out of them as well as I am also curious.
© Axiom Message Boards