Axiom Home Page
Posted By: n8wrl AudioByte problem & suggestion - 02/14/08 12:51 PM
Just got my AudioBytes yesterday and I'm really enjoying them. I do have one suggestion and one problem... First the suggestion.

I have a Zune and a computer so it would be cool to have two inputs to switch between, maybe even mix?

Now the problem. I get either a buzz or a high-pitched whine when I power the Zune from the USB port on the back of the amp while playing it. I confirmed that it is not the power itself - I can plug the Zune in to a seperate USB power source I have with no trouble, but if the USB cable is plugged into the amp I get the audio effects.

Any ideas?

-Brian
Posted By: jakewash Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 02/15/08 09:48 AM
I would call Axiom to see what they might suggest.
Posted By: Mojo Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/08/08 04:35 AM
Were you able to remedy this?
Posted By: Krustyfrog Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/10/08 09:16 AM
I get the same thing when i plug my ipod into the audiobyte amp, hi pitch whine, i actually had to restore my ipod to factory after plugging it into the amp, it was toast. I had the unit replaced because of this and a volume knob that wobbled and would grind when you turned it.

The second unit does it as well, hi pitch whine, and the volume knob is still not very smooth although a bit better. Maybe a $350 set of computer speakers shouldn't use a cheap plastic knob, i dunno. Also the paint job leaves a lot to be desired on the speakers.

I've been a big axiom fan (m60's, 150, qs8's) and going back to the AX-2's, my brother still uses them and they sound great. Major let down on this product.
On the plus side they do sound pretty good, but not very loud.

Pierre
Posted By: Mojo Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/10/08 03:24 PM
I use mine with a laptop so I don't have anything plugged into the USB power port. However, I have plugged an iPod into the audio jack under battery power and didn't hear any artifacts. I suspect if you hear whining when plugged into the USB power port, then that implies the power port is not adequately filtered. It could be a design issue or "bad" parts.

With regard to the loudness, do you have an EP0 plugged in? I'm in a 1,000 cubic foot office and I find that they are plenty loud but I use a powered sub as well.
Posted By: Krustyfrog Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/11/08 02:24 AM
Yes it's only when the ipod is plugged into the USB port, otherwise it's fine. I use a powered yamaha sub that I've had for years, It's pretty decent for an 8" and has a 100Mz crossover setting which jives well with the audiobytes. I did not get the EP0.

It's decent loud, but not as loud as I would like sometimes, and like I said, they sound quite good, especially for the size of them. Very clear and detailed as one would expect from Axiom.

Pierre
Posted By: SirQuack Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/11/08 02:32 AM
100HZ, \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/11/08 03:33 AM
Did you turn up the volume on the amp and on the iPod? How big is the room you are using them in and how far away are you sitting?
Posted By: Krustyfrog Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/11/08 08:26 AM
Yes Hz, typo.

Yes I have turned up the volume on the ipod. Maybe I just like it too loud \:\)

Pierre
Posted By: jakewash Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/11/08 08:58 AM
Let's remember the AudioBytes were ment for near field listening at a computer not sitting back and listening like a regular stereo system. I don't think the idea was to ever have them play loud like a regular 2 channel system.

They are the best sounding computer speakers out there and the loudest I have heard, IMO.
Posted By: Krustyfrog Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/12/08 01:58 AM
Yes I realize that, we have a stereo system in the living room and a surround rig in our HT room for sitting back and listening. Sitting at my desk, they could be a be little louder IMO. I agree they sound good, as to if they are the best sounding computer speakers, I can't comment because I have not heard every other computer speaker system on the market.

P.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/26/08 02:06 PM
Disheartening to hear. I had thought about getting a set of Audiobytes for my office until this damn headphone bug bit me instead.

I understand the comment that 'they're just PC speakers'. No one should expect them to fill a concert hall.

But seriously, for $528 with a sub, they ought to produce a quality and quantity of sound above and beyond the realm of standard desktop speakers. Anything less than that is not living up to the Axiom way of doing things. Heck, the $50 JBL Creature 2.1 system I currently have at work sounds pretty darn good (for what I need it to be) and can/has played loud enough to easily provide entertainment for the whole office area (5 offices & a common area). I would expect the Audiobytes to be significantly better than that!

Hearing talk of build quality & performance issues saddens me \:\( .
Posted By: Mojo Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/26/08 02:32 PM
They produce a clean 105dB at a couple of feet listening distance. If you listen to an average level of 75dB in your office, that's 30dB of headroom.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/26/08 03:02 PM
Just to add:

In my first tests, my SPL meter was about 1.5-2 feet and it reached 110db, which means that at 3-4 feet, it would be about 104-105 as Tex mentionned. And this is without any distortion! That product is a credit to Axiom.

For louder applications, Axiom has already products such as M2, M3 and M22. Once they release the standalone version of the Audiobytes amp, small room audio will take a major step upward as well (low price, great sound).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/26/08 03:32 PM
I don't see this as a real issue. I turn mine up around halfway, and they're listenable in room. However, they're not nearly as incredible as when you're listening near field. Near field is where these puppies shine. Amazing imaging and soundstage.
Posted By: Mojo Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/26/08 03:36 PM
Ken,

What do you consider near-field in your experience with the audiobytes? I find that the soundstage is incredibly lifelike when I am about a foot away from them. They are spaced about 37" apart on my desk.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/26/08 03:47 PM
That's a good question:

Mine are about 24 inches apart and I am about 36 inches from each of them, with a slight toe-in (shouldn't we call that a thumb-in as they are so small?). The soundstage is wider than the speakers with a very convincing and well spread center.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AudioByte problem & suggestion - 03/26/08 03:49 PM
Around a foot to two feet, normal sitting at a desk. They're not at the edge of my desk, or anywhere near ear level. I have a slight toe in, and they're probably 2.5' apart.
© Axiom Message Boards