Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 06:29 PM
I was just curious if most of you use analog audio cables from your cd player to receiver, or use optical/coax? I have a Sony CDP-C715 5 disk player that I bought back in 1992. It is in like new condition and sounds great.

Today I was going back/forth trying to determine if it was better to use the optical and let the Denon do the processing, or use analog cables. At first I thought I noticed improvements using the analog as the words in songs seemed clearer and there was more seperation among instruments.

Now I'm wondering if it was just my brain playing tricks, as I've gone back and forth, and not sure I can distinguish a difference.

So, if I can't tell with my ears, are there other reasons I should consider one way over the other?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 06:38 PM
That's a good question, Randy. I've been wondering the same thing. There's a lot expensive external DACs out there and I'm curious as to how much of it is snake oil.

I'll see if I can try it out this evening. My Sony CD player is supposed to have an "SACD quality" DAC inside. I've never used the optical or digital connection to bypass it.

My ears aren't that good, though, and I can usually only tell differences in quick A/B switching. I'll have to choose music I'm really familiar with.
Posted By: jakewash Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 07:54 PM
I have always felt the analog out gave me a smoother sound and the digital had a slight edge/harshness to it, but I am the only one who finds it this way, so it is probably just me.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 08:01 PM
That is what I'm starting think. I've used the optical for years, and just tried the analog.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 08:26 PM
I can't see why it would possibly make a difference. analog just means that the dac is in the player, not in the receiver.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 08:36 PM
Yes, I believe that is true. But isn't it possible that all electronics are not equal?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 08:43 PM
It's certainly possible, but I find it unlikely with a CD DAC. Also, why would it be the same between your equipment and Jakewash's?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 09:03 PM
Maybe Jakewash is using the Zone 2 preouts from Randy's receiver?

Or not. . .
Posted By: jakewash Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 09:24 PM
No, no Randy was using my optical out.

Like I said, I think it is just me, but for some cds the analog sounded better to me, very subtle but better, so I stick with it that way. I still swap back and forth just to check and sometimes I can hear a difference and other times no difference.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 09:28 PM
The really good thing here is that you decided to let your ears tell you the right answer for you. If you asked 500 people, you would likely get at least 501 answers. If the difference is that subtle, go with your own ears.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 09:30 PM
I've always gone with the analog hook-ups. I'll have to search through my box of wires to see if I have a coax or optical cable long enough to test out. I'm interested to see if I can tell a difference. Probably not, but it'll be fun, I guess.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 10:06 PM
Or just unplug the pair of analog cables and use one of them for the coax connection.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 10:08 PM
Ken. . . .thanks for making me feel dumb.
Posted By: jakewash Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 10:10 PM
But it isn't properly shielded nor wound right for the electrons to be able to find the other end.;\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/11/08 10:12 PM
Don't worry, I'll tape little pieces of paper to the cables with arrows drawn on them so the electricity knows which way to flow.
Posted By: Murph Re: CD to Denon connection question. - 03/13/08 05:05 PM
Since i assume that you have already spent the money on analogue patch cables, then go with whichever one makes you feel better inside.
© Axiom Message Boards