Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Murph HDMI switch prior to receiver - 04/07/08 06:51 PM
Logic tells me this should work just as well as if it were the last item before the TV but I'll double check with the knowledge bank here since I'm not experienced with it.

My receiver has 1 HDMI out (fine) but only two in.
Currently, I use one [in] for my HD satellite receiver and the second [in] for my HD-DVD Player. Down the road, I'd like to add a BluRay player, PS3 possibly. I'm thinking that an auto-sensing, HDMI switch placed ahead of the receiver would allow me to switch both the HD_DVD and the BluRay player into the same HDMI input on the receiver. Same as it would do for somebody sending two dvices directly to a TV with only 1 HDMI input.

Anybody doing this or can comment as to it's feasibility? Audio, should ideally pass through also.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HDMI switch prior to receiver - 04/08/08 12:51 AM
Murph, that'll work. I used a manual two-way switch like this. Worked fine!
Posted By: framer2180 Re: HDMI switch prior to receiver - 04/08/08 03:27 AM
Murph,

I am doing exactly want you asked. My receiver has 2 in 1 out. I need 4 in 1 out so I bought a 3/1 from Monoprice and programmed it into my Harmony and everything works perfect.

Greg
Posted By: Murph Re: HDMI switch prior to receiver - 04/08/08 11:07 AM
Perfect! Thanks Guys.
Posted By: rick240 Re: HDMI switch prior to receiver - 04/08/08 12:57 PM
Just be careful about having the Logitech turning things on and off.

When I switch to HD DVD the switch stays at the satellite input as the HD DVD player hasn't initialized yet... then i have to go and manually switch once the green led is on.
Posted By: Murph Re: HDMI switch prior to receiver - 04/08/08 06:19 PM
Good Point. That thing takes forever to fire up.

I'll add an IR sensor to the list of required features for the switch so that worst case scenario is that I have to hit a button on the remote to make the final switch once it is GTG.
Posted By: rick240 Re: HDMI switch prior to receiver - 04/10/08 10:14 PM
My monoprice 2:1 has IR, I'd imagine all of their larger ones do as well.
© Axiom Message Boards