Axiom Home Page
So as some of you know i got the M80's ive had em for just about a month now and really love them (of course) Well. lastnight i was searching audioasylum speaker room for everything axiom and came across numerous posts about upgrading the xover in axiom and Michahura(sp?) speakers people claimed they looked over the axiom xovers and found cheap parts and stuff. And i know that this has been brought up before with replacing the capacitors in the xover. I think this option is a good idea... Are you ready for this? Have an upgrade option of the high end xover. Call it the Xtreme Xover upgrade. Using the highest quality parts and good 12 gauge wire for the internal wiring. Axiom could make these and sell them as an aftermarket mod to those who want it ( us "audiophiles" ) i would be willing to pay 100 bucks a pair for the upgraded xovers if i thought they would bring a noticable improvement. I think if you asked everyone here who owns the M80's and the others with xovers if they would pay to make a great speaker better would they?? the anwser would be yes! I really love my m80s and know that when they were designed they had sound in mind but i imagine they also had price in mind. I would be intersted in hearing someone who has upgraded their xover caps with black gate or whatever the good ones are and internal wiring with some 12 gauge stuff and seeing what the results were.

Just an idea. but if you can make a good thing better. why wouldnt you!
Brandon, I believe that "asylum" is an appropriate place for some of those posts. Ian has designed the M80 with high quality capacitors in the crossover and entirely adequate internal wiring. I suppose that he could charge $100 more to "upgrade" these parts if he was willing to rip off his customers with something that makes no audible difference. Don't pay any attention to such nonsense from people who apparently know little or nothing about speaker design. This is especially apparent when they suggest replacing the tiny bit of internal wire with 12 gauge. Would they be shocked to learn that all speakers had over 100 feet of "cheap" copper wire with gauges in the 20s and 30s in their drivers?
I had just mentioned replaceing the wiring with something heaveier not because i imagined it would bring great improvement but its like a Because i can thing. Just the same thing with speaker wires. If i could run 12 gauge or 18 and they would both sound the same, i would choose the 12 gauge Because i can u know what i mean lol. Im sure they know the voice coils contain that wire, and if they could upgrade it to silver wire they would but after looking at prices on some of the cross over componets, although i dont know whats needed in the m80 cross over i didnt think it would come over 20 bucks each for the parts. There was one guy who had the M60 i believe and he was replacing the resistors and caps in his xovers so i want to find out what he said was a difference if any.
I might of posted this before about crossover upgrades, this is the North Creek Music B&W 801-802 crossover upgrade, with pictures of the stock and upgraded crossover.http://www.northcreekmusic.com/801web.html
© Axiom Message Boards