Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 01:00 AM
Is it dangerous to touch the speaker terminals at a given volume? My son has started trying to crawl behind the M80s
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 01:12 AM
hmmmmmmm... good question.

I would guess "no", but wouldn't be willing to bet your son on it!
Posted By: Wid Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 01:24 AM

There is no ac going through the wires so it will not harm your son BUT is sure can do some serious damage to your equipment.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 01:48 AM
I thought it was definitely AC (although not wall current, certainly), other wise we'd have cones flying across the room.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 02:13 AM
That’s a good question, as long as all of the electric equipment is properly grounded it should be ok, ... it wont hurt to assume that it may have electricity and take precautions.

I had a bad experience during a rehearsal of a garage band I used to play on. The guitar amp was improperly grounded and the guitarist got electrocuted with the mic. He was lucky that the house breakers engaged and cut the electricity after just few seconds, he was stunned but not seriously hurt.

Posted By: Haoleb Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 02:25 AM
I have measured nearly 30v across the terminals when playing music up loud. This is AC voltage were talking about here.

Its certainly possible for a small shock at that voltage.
Posted By: Wid Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 02:33 AM

I sure didn't phase my post to well. It is ac but as Ken mention it is " not wall current " levels. I still can't see anyone, including a child, getting seriously hurt from shorting out the speaker wires.
Posted By: JohnK Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 04:47 AM
Ken, I suppose my analysis would be that dry human skin has a resistance in the 10s of Kohms, while the speaker has a resistance of just a few ohms. If the current has an easier path, i.e., into the speaker coil rather than into the person, it'll follow that path. Although very small currents, e.g., 0.1 ampere, can be fatal, this doesn't develop from touching speaker terminals. If it was otherwise, I suspect that we'd have folks keeling over left and right when working with their speaker wiring.
Posted By: fredk Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 05:03 AM
Ah, but babies have mouths that they love to use to taste the oddest things.

Perhaps a little electrical tape over the connectors is in order?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 05:31 AM
I don't think he could get his head back there, but I'll have to double check. Thanks, guys!
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 02:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I don't think he could get his head back there, but I'll have to double check. Thanks, guys!

How, exactly are you going to "double check"?

I just got this image in my head of you picking up your boy and wedging his head in between the wall and speaker...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 03:09 PM
Now that's funny! \:D

I'm trying to imagine how Ken tries to explain it when his wife walks in on him.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 04:33 PM
HA!
Posted By: dllewel Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 09:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: Capn_Pickard

How, exactly are you going to "double check"?

I just got this image in my head of you picking up your boy and wedging his head in between the wall and speaker...

Now that was very funny. LOL. \:D
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I should know this, but... - 06/26/08 09:41 PM
Tempting, today. I think he's getting into the tantrum stage.
Posted By: JohnK Re: I should know this, but... - 06/27/08 01:59 AM
Yeah, I can picture the scene: Jen comes in, sees what's going on, and starts yelling "You nut! I know that you were worried about whether the rear ports on your damn speakers had 'breathing room', but you're using our son instead of a tape measure?"
Posted By: HAY Re: I should know this, but... - 06/28/08 02:04 AM
Is it dangerous to touch the speaker terminals at a given volume? My son has started trying to crawl behind the M80s

The easiest solution is for you to try yourself...don't forget to lick'em either as we know kids put everything in their mouths. Have your wife do a video as well incase your hair stands on end or anything
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I should know this, but... - 06/28/08 02:16 AM
Yeah, already did that with a laptop power adapter. Not doing it again...
Posted By: dllewel Re: I should know this, but... - 06/30/08 10:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: HAY
[quote=kcarlile]Have your wife do a video as well incase your hair stands on end or anything

A liked your suggestion Hay. I then read Ken's reply and noticed his hair standing on end from his avatar (Burt). Too funny.
© Axiom Message Boards