Axiom Home Page
Posted By: edmondwolfman Is SACD dead? - 07/03/08 04:12 PM
After seeing some of Kal's posts (AVS forums) I'm leaning toward adding the Oppo DV-980H for audio. Many say that SACD and DVD-A sound MUCH better than regular CDs. Are there many titles on SACD? Will companies continue to add new titles in SACD format or is SACD pretty much dead. Don't want to add the Oppo for SACD and DVD-A if they are pretty much Betamax status.
Thanks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/03/08 04:15 PM
There are a fair amount, but they're largely mainstream (and artists from age 35 up...)or bizarre samplers.

From what I've seen of DVD-As, those deserve to die in a fire. When you have to turn on a TV to play music, the format is a loser.

But I really like SACDs.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/03/08 04:46 PM
I don't know about the non-classical industry, but in the classical world there is an increasing number of labels who are either already releasing exclusively hybrid SACD or are preparing to do so and that has already started to drive the price down (very slowly \:\( ).

The main recording studio that was behind DVD-A (Teldec) has slowly stopped releasing DVD-A and has now switched to SACD.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/03/08 10:13 PM
I'm just awaiting getting a new receiver (my current one is OLD), but I was excited to learn that with my PS3, I can playback multichannel SACD's via HDMI. The days of needing six RCA cables to listen to SACD are gone. With more and more people owning PS3's hopefully the format will see a resurgence.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/03/08 10:21 PM
Which PS3 model do you have?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/04/08 12:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: spiffnme
I'm just awaiting getting a new receiver (my current one is OLD), but I was excited to learn that with my PS3, I can playback multichannel SACD's via HDMI. The days of needing six RCA cables to listen to SACD are gone. With more and more people owning PS3's hopefully the format will see a resurgence.

That's good to know, Craig. I recently shelved my Sony SACD player and bought a standard redbook player. I have some multichannel SACD I'd like to play, and I never tried them in the PS3.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/04/08 02:42 AM
I hope not. I've only got one - Dark side of the moon - but it's amazing. Not that I would know ;\) but it's like a good trip. Close your eyes and you're in the middle of an amazing musical experience.

I need to branch out to some classical...

Scott
Posted By: grunt Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/04/08 04:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: a401classic

hope not. I've only got one - Dark side of the moon - but it's amazing. Not that I would know but it's like a good trip. Close your eyes and you're in the middle of an amazing musical experience.

I need to branch out to some classical...

That “Dark Side of the Moon” SACD is fantastic. I only have a few classical SACDs but so far I think they are worth it. Not quite the same WOW factor as Pink Floyd but at least to me they are noticeably better presentations than the standard CDs I have of the same pieces. In every case the instruments sound better defined both tonally and in space (especially the depth of the soundstage) on the SACDs.

Don’t overlook DVDs either. I picked up an amazing DVD of Jethro Tull Live At Montreux 2003. The DTS audio is great and the picture quality looks like HD even though it’s just SD.

Dean
Posted By: fredk Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/04/08 04:31 AM
Sadly I don't think I will ever see a sacd drive for a pc. Maybe I can pick something up second hand some day. All this talk of how much better they are has me intrigued.

Quote:
Don’t overlook DVDs either

I have an SRV dvd sitting by my display waiting. Now that I have my speakers dialed in a little better, I am looking forward to it.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/04/08 12:40 PM
Just in case some confuision sets in, the 40G PS3 does NOT play SACD (I know mine does not and it is new). I don't know about the new 80G, but I think right now only the 60G model supports SACD.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/04/08 03:04 PM
Oh. Thanks for killing my buzz, Eric. ;\)

I've got a Denon 2900 for multichannel SACD. It's just that it's too far away from the receiver for my short RCA cables. I thought the PS3/HDMI connection was going to solve that.
Posted By: Karlman Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/05/08 09:51 PM
According to Wikipedia, 40GB PS3 lacks SACD support, but every other model does have it.
Posted By: CV Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/05/08 10:23 PM
They need a new model to bitstream the new high-def audio formats and send SACD as DSD over HDMI. Then I'll feel like getting the new model and give my current one to my sister.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/12/08 11:03 PM
I bought the 60gb model. I was surprised to learn that hard drive size was not the only difference between models. I certainly don't understand that. Though to be honest I don't understand why they offer different size drive at all.

Right in the user manual it shows you how easy it is to switch out a hard drive for a larger size - they encourage you to do it. For $115 bucks more you can have a 250GB PS3.

The PS3 has really surprised me and has turned out to be one of the very best electronics purchases I've made in some time. My only complaint at this point is the awful interface for mp3 playback. It's a pain in the butt to go through your files and play what you want quickly. If they sort that out I'd be golden. Heck...I wouldn't be surprised if a later gen PS had built in DVR capabilities. It's really poised to be the magic all-in-one entertainment solution that so many people want.

Posted By: HAY Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/13/08 01:14 AM
The 60gb is the only one with a hardware mod for playing all PS2 games. The later 80gb ones use software for most games.

I must say that I'm really enjoing the BluRay sound and just bought DSOTM SACD... WOW!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/14/08 03:39 PM
I guess I lucked out when I got the 60GB version. I had no idea at the time it had all the nifty extras that other versions don't.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/14/08 03:41 PM
You and me both!

I am a gaming n00b and stumbled happily into that one. Thanks, Costco!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/14/08 03:48 PM
I bought the 20g version that also supports SACD, at the time I was just trying to save a couple bucks, I'm glad I did. \:\)
Posted By: edmondwolfman Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/16/08 04:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
I bought the 20g version that also supports SACD, at the time I was just trying to save a couple bucks, I'm glad I did. \:\)

Will the 20G version play the SACD format thru HDMI or do you have to make additional connections? If not do you know if the 80G version will? When I go to the ps3 site I don't really see detailed specs as far as video and audio are concerned.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/16/08 10:36 PM
The wikipedia page for the PS3 has a handy chart breaking down which models have with specs.
Posted By: CV Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/17/08 03:34 AM
 Originally Posted By: spiffnme
The wikipedia page for the PS3 has a handy chart breaking down which models have with specs.

Didn't Negative Orange get to number five on the UK Handy Chart? Yeah, I think it was a high-five.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/17/08 03:48 AM
I don't know, but I bet JP has the black eye to prove it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/17/08 05:46 AM
And it's a turnabout!
Posted By: Murph Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/17/08 05:51 PM
Your Bert avatar just seems to go well with every single comment you make for some reason. ROFLOL !!!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/17/08 06:23 PM
Agreed. Ken *is* Bert.

I've made a secret deal with Amie where she will permanently affix Bert as his avatar.

w00t!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Is SACD dead? - 07/17/08 06:24 PM
and pardon me while I go eat delicious cookie NOM NOM NOM
© Axiom Message Boards