Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lohengrin Amp Choices - 08/04/08 06:51 PM
I've been robbed. Almost every piece of electronic gear (and dvds, cds, etc.) is gone. My wife wants to move into our new home TODAY, even though it doesn't have electricity. I will have to rebuild my HT, but here is my first need:
I have an audio over Cat5 system in the new home *the non-pilfered one* and it has four analog audio inputs that allow users in each room to select one of the four sources. Would I just need a separate amp from each source (cd, stereo, etc.) to the audio input? Also, is it possible (without damage) to run from one source, like a CD player, to two different inputs (i.e. to two separate amps or receivers)?
Thanks for help and let me know if I left out useful details.

Also, from looking around, a stereo receiver is much cheaper than a separate amp, so would that make more sense (to use a separate receiver per source)?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Amp Choices - 08/04/08 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear about the robbery! That completely sucks.

I would assume that you have an A/Bus system in the new house, which should be set up for that kind of thing (multi-source, etc.) I suspect further that the system has built in amps (could be wrong). Unfortunately, there aren't many people around here with any experience with A/Bus, but I think there is a new member who has it.
Posted By: Lohengrin Re: Amp Choices - 08/05/08 01:59 AM
Ahh, you are indeed correct that there is built in amplification. Sometimes the manual is handy.
So, what I guess is left is the multiple receiver issue. Does anyone have experience sending one source to multiple receivers/amps?
Based on my limited knowledge, since the signal is so small from the source (hence the need for an amp) that it would be ok, but I am not sure.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Amp Choices - 08/05/08 02:57 AM
I think you would be fine, but I'm not sure what the upper limit is.
© Axiom Message Boards