Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lohengrin Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/13/08 06:59 PM
I know that I should never splice speaker wire but I also know to measure twice and cut once. Knowledge doesn't equal performance.
So, if I just HAD to splice speaker wire, are there rules? Also, I know not to splice because I read it on the internet somewhere. Why shouldn't I?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/13/08 07:34 PM
With spliced wire, you introduce greater resistance into the line (at least, with poorly spliced wire...). I think a single splice, well done (maybe with solder?) would probably be ok.
Posted By: Lohengrin Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/13/08 08:42 PM
I was actually thinking of making ends for the two pieces and using a manufactured FxF connector to keep it as "smooth" as possible. I can certainly drop some solder in there to ensure the integrity of the splice.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/14/08 01:52 AM
Lo, you've said a couple times that you "know" that splicing isn't a good idea. If you've read some of the bizarre ideas on the internet about this you should disregard them. One or more splices in a wire don't have any appreciable effect if they don't come apart. So, the only problem is the inconvenience of making the splice. Anything solid, even twist 'n tape, can work, such as soldering or using wire nuts.
Posted By: Murph Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/15/08 02:55 PM
Although I know more about data transfer than audio, we have lots of analogue copper lines in the telephone business. A good splice is pretty much completely negligible. According to our best meters, the electrons don't seem to mind at all. In our business the danger is more in that it has introduced a weak point for humidity and eventually corrosion. For this, we use special gel filled connectors to splice copper. John is correct it must be solid. These connectors, if not properly crimped can impede data or voice transfer.

Fiber splicing is a bit more interesting. Even a good splice will show up on a meter but is not necessarily damaging data unless it's really bad. Our meters can visually display the distance to a splice, improper twist or (gasp) a cut.

I suspect it is much the same case for audio equipment. Do a good job, and you should be fine.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/15/08 04:45 PM
Sorry for the misinformation in my post--my experience with splices in speaker wire was extraordinarily poor splices in a very long 18 gauge wire...
Posted By: Lohengrin Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/16/08 12:11 AM
This will be adding about three feet to 12ga. wire.
I actually measured in my current home and only later realized that the new home was different.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/16/08 03:36 AM
You can splice speaker wire no problem...

The best way is to solder it and then cover with heatshrink tube. Although it seems the most popular method is the trusty \:o twist and tape. I dont reccomend it myself.

The western union splice is a good solid splice that looks good as well. A splice like this, soldered will be perfect.

Posted By: ratpack Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 02:20 AM
I am not sure where all this bad information about splicing comes from??? It seems that there are many ill informed people posting on the various boards.

Rest assured, a proper splice will cause you no problems. There were a couple of good ideas given here.

The main thing to consider in a splice is to have good contact between the two conductors. I have used various techniques including "wire nuts." They all worked well!!!
Posted By: CV Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 02:25 AM
 Originally Posted By: ratpack
I have used various techniques including "wire nuts." They all worked well!!!

Variety is the splice of life.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 08:11 AM
 Quote:

Fertilization is the splice of life.
Posted By: Murph Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 12:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Quote:

Fertilization is the splice of life.

That was brilliant!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 05:40 PM
That makes mitochondria the spice of life.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 09:28 PM
Don't you mean midichlorians?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 09:56 PM
KILL
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 10:06 PM
If you had a high midichlorian count, I might be scared.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/18/08 10:12 PM
stabby stabby
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 12:35 AM
I laughed out loud in the theater when that came up.
Posted By: CV Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 03:53 AM
See, Ken, have a sense of humor about it like Sean does, even if he's just laughing to mask his pain.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 04:15 AM
After I got home, I burned my Chewbacca outfit.
Posted By: CV Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 04:29 AM
How does that smell compare to that of burning Jawas?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 04:31 AM
Jawas smell like cinnamon. Chewbacca, like Velveeta left in a hot car.
Posted By: CV Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 04:35 AM
And a burning George Lucas smells like salvation?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 04:37 AM
I read an article in the LA Times last week begging Lucas to stop making movies.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 04:55 AM
I had a nightmare that George Lucas was writing my good dreams.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 04:57 AM
Time to stop sleeping for good.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 04:59 AM
There's only so many cute creatures one can take in a dream before you go crazy and kick your cat.
Posted By: CV Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 05:00 AM
Is kicking your cat like pussyfooting around?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 05:00 AM
You shouldn't have named your cat Jar Jar.
Posted By: CV Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 05:01 AM
Binks is a good cat name, though. Maybe better as Binx.
Posted By: CV Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 05:02 AM
I don't think we're far enough off-topic yet.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 05:03 AM
Uh, cat gut makes for good heat shrink around spliced wires.
Posted By: SlamKeys Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 05:52 AM
How can you splice Monster XP cable? It has a patented Magnetic Flux Tube in the middle. Would you just stick a wire nut over that?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 11:33 AM
Why would you purchase monster cable to begin with!?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 02:25 PM
I didn't purchase the Monster Cable speaker wires I still use. I have 3 lengths, each about 6' long, that the dealer threw in when I bought my Paradigm Monitor 9s and Paradigm CC back in 2000. I now use them for my M22s and VP100.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 02:28 PM
And they fell apart damn quickly for such expensive cable, too.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 06:13 PM
only the silly rubber caps at the base of the banana plugs. the copper is still shiny.
Posted By: SlamKeys Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 11:35 PM
I was just being facetious about the Monster cable, because they claim to have all these patented technologies, such as "Magnetic Flux Tube Construction." What that amounts to is a piece of polypropylene cord in the middle of the copper that does nothing more than make the copper look thicker than it is. Combine that with their unnecessarily thick clear jacketing called "LPE" or "Linear Polyethylene" which they also claim has some kind of proprietary signal preserving properties, and you have this huge-looking speaker wire that is really only 16 gauge copper costing $1.00 per foot.

It looks monster, but it is claimed you can get the same or better performance in an electrical zip cord for about $0.40 per foot. As a matter of fact, in Crutchfield's product description, they call this a low-cost "entry-level" speaker wire "Especially recommended for small speakers, mini systems, and rack systems." Low cost? It's a buck a foot, and in my book that aint cheap.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/19/08 11:56 PM
I totally agree. That magnetic flux tube really annoys me when I'm re-twisting the ends of the cable.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/20/08 02:22 AM
I think that it is somewhat amazing that people still believe the crap from Monster and even worse that they are still allowed to claim that BS!!!!!
Posted By: DaveG Re: Splicing Speaker Wire - 08/20/08 12:09 PM
I hate Monster.
© Axiom Message Boards