Axiom Home Page
Posted By: edmondwolfman Bi-wire M60s - 09/28/08 05:32 PM
I notice that the M60 have 4 binding posts on the back. I read that was for bi-wiring. Here is an article on that seems to advance the theory of bi-wiring.

http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize031998.htm

My questions are:
There are 4 binding posts on the M60 so it seems that Axiom would promote the owner actually bi-wiring the speakers, is this true?

Has anyone done this and if so does it really work?

Should you use the same rated speaker cable i.e. 14 gauge for both high and low freq or is different cable for each recommended?

I'm assuming that to prepare for bi-wiring that one just needs to remove the bridge(jumpers) between the red posts and the bridge between the black posts.
Posted By: RickF Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/28/08 05:41 PM
It is my understanding that for the most applications bi-wiring speakers is usually done for large concert type scenarios where different amplifiers are used for the different drivers of the speakers due to the large amount of power needed to fill the arena.

It is also my understanding that bi-wiring speakers such as the 60s will probably not add any more performance to the system or speaker.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/28/08 07:13 PM
It'll add money to the cable manufacturer's bank accounts!

In large part, it's there because the market expects it.

There are two different things (well, more, really) that you can do with 2 sets of binding posts: bi-wiring (most likely no benefit whatsoever, see this link for a good, in depth explanation. Incidentally, that's what I did with my speaker cable, although I only did it for fun, not because I expected any sort of real benefit.

Bi-amping (as seen in the article above) is using two separate amplifiers to drive different portions of the speaker. It is slightly less sketchy in concept than biwiring, but you are still only likely to see benefits with an external crossover between the amps rather than the internal crossovers between the drivers.
Posted By: edmondwolfman Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/28/08 10:55 PM
I was just wondering why Axiom builds their speakers with the double binding posts and actually market them as bi-wirable or bi-ampable if that makes no difference.
Posted By: CV Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/28/08 11:03 PM
I think that's exactly it. To market them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/28/08 11:30 PM
A lot of people believe it does make a difference, and expect it on high end speakers.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 03:04 AM
Bobby, biwiring(sometimes sarcastically referred to as "buywiring")is of no audible significance to the best of my knowledge. Alan has discussed this in one of his articles , including a frank comment that Axiom includes the extra terminals as a "nod" to certain enthusiasts.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 04:45 AM
Hunh. That's a better explanation of biwiring than I've ever read before. Interesting that there may actually be a teeeensy bit of science behind it.

Also, I was wondering how long it was until someone pulled out the "buy-wiring" chestnut. Now all we need is a Bose acronym...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 05:58 AM
BOSE--Better Off Selling Envelopes!!!

Did I get it right? \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 06:05 AM
Did we ever get around to coming up with something for Axiom as an acronym? The x could prove troublesome.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 11:01 AM
Audio Xerox Immersing Of Music ?
Posted By: DaveG Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 11:20 AM
BOSE - buy other sound equipment
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 02:27 PM
Anechoic Xylophones In Our Minds!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 05:21 PM
In your mind maybe...

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 05:50 PM
C'mon, man, work with me here.

Audible
Xenon
Inside
Other
Molding
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 06:51 PM
It's a bit of a cheat, but...

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 06:55 PM
That's actually quite good.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 07:06 PM
Works lined up like that. Maybe Axiom has a new slogan!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 07:25 PM
Looks like it needs to be on a poster in my home or a stadium somewhere\:\)
Posted By: alan Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 09:07 PM
Hi Kruncher,

Hmmmm, I like it! Rather good. I'll pass it on to the boss.

Regards,
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 09:13 PM

Thanks all for the complimentary comments.
Posted By: edmondwolfman Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 11:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
It'll add money to the cable manufacturer's bank accounts!

In large part, it's there because the market expects it.

There are two different things (well, more, really) that you can do with 2 sets of binding posts: bi-wiring (most likely no benefit whatsoever, see this link for a good, in depth explanation. Incidentally, that's what I did with my speaker cable, although I only did it for fun, not because I expected any sort of real benefit.

Bi-amping (as seen in the article above) is using two separate amplifiers to drive different portions of the speaker. It is slightly less sketchy in concept than biwiring, but you are still only likely to see benefits with an external crossover between the amps rather than the internal crossovers between the drivers.

Thanks, that article was pretty informative. It seems using a double 14 AWG connected instead of bi-wiring would work better. If one were going to use the double 14 AWG cable would there be a benefit to soldering the cables together as opposed to just twisting them together?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bi-wire M60s - 09/29/08 11:04 PM
Probably not. Mine are twisted at one end and connected to both sets of binding posts on the other, with the straps still in place. That way I don't have to worry if one gets pulled out! It's all redundant and stuff.

T minus 5
© Axiom Message Boards