Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Graeme L QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 01:56 AM
Well call me Stupid but, I had my landlord drill the holes to mount the QS8's on the Full Metal Brackets. All went well I ran the cable and attached the banana plugs, then I went to put the speakers in the final position. They don't fit?? The Banana plugs are in the way when I slid the speaker onto the top pivot.

What am I doing wrong? Surely I am not the dumb?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 02:08 AM
Hi

I have not used the full metal brackets so I am not sure how much clearance you have between the wall and the speakers. I just run bare wire to my QS4's (locking Banana plugs for everything else). If you want to terminate, I would think spade lugs would work better in that application.

Good luck,

Dr. House
Posted By: Graeme L Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 02:10 AM
It seems a very poor design I have them exactly as pictured here

http://www.axiomaudio.com/gallery_qs8_wall.html

I guess I will just have to use bare wire.
Posted By: myrison Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 02:14 AM
Graeme -

If the plugs don't fit between the wall and the speaker, you don't lose anything at all by just connecting bare wire into the speaker terminals.

The main reason for using banana plugs is generally for convenience in unplugging and re-plugging speakers, not because they create any audible difference. If you have a permanent location picked out (which it sounds like you do if you've drilled the holes), just go ahead and wire them in with bare cable. You won't lose anything by doing so (except the headache you have trying to figure out why you can't fit the plugs between the speaker and the wall) ;\)

Jason

PS: Send pictures, we're all looking forward to seeing your setup.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 02:18 AM
Bare wire will work great! I actually prefer the bare wire termination to feed into the surrounds. Just make sure there are no stray wiskers when you insert the wire into the terminals and that the terminals are tightly secured and you are good to go .

Cheers,

Dr. House
Posted By: Graeme L Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 02:58 AM
Oh ok, sorry I thought it was better to have Banana plugs. Another misconception on my part \:\(

Thanks for the quick replies, you people here really are Amazing and Patient
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 03:11 AM
Banana plugs are great especially for tight confines on the back of a receiver. I really like the locking Banana plugs from Blue Jeans cable and use those throughout my setup except for the wire going into the QS4. The only time I like bare wire is when I have speakers wall mounted because of clearance issues.

BTW did you get your QS8's installed o.k? Let us know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Cheers \:\)

Dr. House

Posted By: fredk Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 03:55 AM
 Quote:
...and Patient

But if you don't post pics soon we're gonna have to sick JP on you!
Posted By: Graeme L Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 03:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
BTW did you get your QS8's installed o.k? Let us know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Cheers \:\)

Dr. House

Yep I have them up and wired \:\) I have just run the setup on the Yamaha to calibrate them and had a quick listen to The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"

MAN! what a sound \:\) it sounded like I had a crowd of free loaders at the front door (behind me) cheering. Absolutley amazing!!

I will take some pics as soon as I can.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 04:04 AM
I am glad to hear you can finally enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Enjoy:)!

Dr. House
Posted By: Graeme L Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 06:09 AM
I have finally got some pics..

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=225971#Post225971
Posted By: DaveG Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 12:36 PM
Welcome to enjoying the sound of Axiom audio, .
Posted By: myrison Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 02:07 PM
And a great choice of material for your first listen. That DVD has great sound.

If you have Blu-Ray, one to consider adding to your collection is Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live at Radio City Music hall. This will be even more impressive once you add the Axiom towers, but it is a great concert to hold you over while you're waiting for the Aussie Dollar to recover. The guitar work by these two in concert is stellar.
Posted By: Graeme L Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/19/08 05:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: myrison
And a great choice of material for your first listen. That DVD has great sound.

If you have Blu-Ray, one to consider adding to your collection is Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live at Radio City Music hall. This will be even more impressive once you add the Axiom towers, but it is a great concert to hold you over while you're waiting for the Aussie Dollar to recover. The guitar work by these two in concert is stellar.

I will take a look.

Thanks.
Posted By: Murph Re: QS8's and Banana Plugs not fitting?? - 10/20/08 01:56 PM
Even f you don't have Blue Ray, the "Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live at Radio City Music Hall" regular DVD is still one of the most amazing things you will ever hear.

Simply stunning. I have a Bluray player but the DVD is that good that I don't really feel the need to pay again for the Bluray version. I'd love to compare someday but I'd prefer to buy a title I don't own yet, since I am soooo satisfied with the DVD.
© Axiom Message Boards