Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Graeme L Subwoofer Cable? - 11/07/08 09:45 PM
Hello everyone, well it's the weekend again and that means time to tinker with my system .

I am going to do the "subwoofer crawl" today and I am in need of a cable that is around 5m.

Is there any difference in cables? or is the cheaper RCA cable ok to use?
I can get a cable for $30 or a Monster cable for $99. I thought that being analog and not digital it didn't matter.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/07/08 09:47 PM
Save your money and buy the $30 one. The price difference is in the marketing.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/07/08 10:10 PM
I'll second that. Go for the less expensive cable. You will not notice a difference, and why fork your money over to someone just for advertising....
Posted By: myrison Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/07/08 10:14 PM
The subwoofer signal is one of the least demanding audio/video signals to carry and doesn't demand much at all other than a decently shielded wire. Go cheap, be happy. ;\)

Jason
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/07/08 10:24 PM
$6.16 at Monoprice

But then you'd have to wait. Which would be a total bummer.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/07/08 10:40 PM
Sure, rub it in Tom.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/07/08 10:46 PM
Get some cheap coax with rca ends like sold on monoprice or bluejeans cable, don't waste your money unless your loaded. \:\)
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/07/08 11:45 PM
Well that takes care of that then \:\)

Thanks a lot for the quick replies.
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/08/08 06:20 AM
Well I bought a cable and I did the crawl, but did not really notice all that much difference? The bass seems to sound better when I am in the next room??

I ended up moving the sub to the opposite corner. I will have to give it some time and a coupl of decent movies to see how it sounds I think.

I had to format my pc and reinstall everything today and I have been listening to Pink Floyd which makes it more the process seem a little better \:\)
Posted By: myrison Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/08/08 01:03 PM
Oh my - the PC format and subsequent program reinstallation has to be one of the most annoying tasks ever...

On the crawl - if you didn't notice much difference as you moved it around, it could just mean your room has good acoustics and aren't producing vast peaks and nulls. That's good news. \:\)

Jason
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/08/08 10:54 PM
Well I watched a movie last night Big Fish and it sounded quite good with a decent amount of base that was not distorted or over the top.

I have a couple of rattles though \:\( we have Glass cabinets and they tend to rattle a bit, I have no idea how to fix that. Also one window rattles its the non opening side.

Apart from that things are improving
Posted By: BrenR Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/13/08 06:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: Graeme L
we have Glass cabinets and they tend to rattle a bit, I have no idea how to fix that.
Easy, break the glass - no more rattle

If they're fixed glass (in cabinet doors, for instance), glazing them in with putty may help... if they're sliding panes of safety glass in tracks, I wouldn't suggest doing that.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/13/08 09:50 PM
with fixed glass, you can also use a toothpick (or more than one) wedged into the space between the glass and frame. Score and snap off the excess.
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/14/08 07:18 AM
It's fixed glass. Thanks for the tips, I will try them. It is driving me crazy.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/14/08 07:21 AM
Smash it, Smash it, SMAsh IT, SMASH IT!
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Subwoofer Cable? - 11/15/08 05:11 AM
Don't tempt me \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards