Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TexasToast Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 03:07 AM
Hi all,

I just bought my Axiom setup for my new media room. It's M22s, the VP250, 2 QS8s for now, and an EP350. Also picked up an Onkyo TX-SR606.

Everything was great for the first couple of hours after I set everything up. Now, however, the EP350 stopped working. In Active mode, I always get a red light, even when I switch modes, it stays completely silent. I reset the receiver just to be sure, but that had no effect. (I also went in and made sure that the Subwoofer setting was set to ON. It was.)

I've emailed Tech support, but I thought I'd throw this out to the board for suggestions of things to try.

Thanks!
Posted By: Wid Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 03:19 AM

Plug the sub cable directly into an input from the dvd player and see if you get any sound. You could also try a different cable.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 03:23 AM
Hello Texas Toast

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your EP350. A couple of settings you should check over.

1) On your receiver makes ure your subwoofer setting is set to yes (on), speakers set to small and choose a standard crossover setting such as 80.

2) Have you calibrated your system using a SPL meter or using the automatic calibrating option on your receiver?

3) What is the volume set at on the subwoofer itself, also check what the subwoofer gain on the receiver is set to.

Note: A couple of things to try

1) Put on a bass heavy source and see if activates
2)) Increase the subwoofer gain on the receiver.

My first reaction to your post is that the receiver is not sending out enough voltage to the sub...

Keep us posted, we are here for you.

Posted By: JohnK Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 03:27 AM
Tex, welcome. If the sub was working well and then just stopped without you having made some change in the settings, the obvious suspect would be a defect in the sub amplifier, and there wouldn't be anything more that you could try to correct that.

You can be sure that Axiom will work with you to get the 350 back in operation.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 03:30 AM
Make sure the dials in the back of the sub are not set to "Remote" (check the manual). If they are, then the sub is expecting instructions from the not-yet-implemented USB port remote control. (it happened to me once while calibrating and I lost 2 hours because of that).
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 03:46 AM
I'll vote for a blown fuse.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 04:19 AM
+1 for the blown fuse.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 02:36 PM
One of my 350's were not working at all when I got the twins, had to pull out the driver and found one of the wire connections and fallen off. If it was working, then stopped, it could be one of the wires came loose. This should not be happening, but is easy to verify by taking out the driver.
Posted By: alan Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/15/08 05:05 PM
Hi TexasToast,

Sorry you're having problems with the EP350. Lots of good advice in this thread, but here's our Troubleshooting Guide for the EP350. Check the link to the fuse holder. Be sure you unplug the subwoofer from the wall when you check the fuses.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/troubleshooting_ep350.html#

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: TexasToast Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/16/08 07:34 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I tried each suggestion, but nothing resolved the issue, so Axiom is sending out a new amplifier. I do appreciate the quick responses and the great customer service from Axiom!
Posted By: fredk Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/16/08 07:41 PM
 Quote:
nothing resolved the issue
\:\(
 Quote:
Axiom is sending out a new amplifier
\:D

It sux when you have a problem, but Axiom does have outstanding customer service.
Posted By: CV Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/16/08 07:43 PM
Yeah, they're better to their customers than I would ever be to anyone, including Regina.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/16/08 07:55 PM
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

If you have any questions or concerns about swapping out the amp on the EP350, Axioms customer service would have lots of great information for you (the replacment amp might even come with instructions?). I am sure there are plenty of "regulars" here that would have a lot of good advice as well to make the switch as easy as possible for you.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/29/08 02:16 PM
Not related to the original question but I do have a "subwoofer issue" question. In order to try to get rid of my ground loop, should I totally remove the screw from the back of my subwoofer, or just loosen it?

Thanks
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/29/08 02:32 PM
Just loosening it 3-4 turn should be enough.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/29/08 02:38 PM
I should have included this in my original post, but does the screw have to be in, in order for the subwoofer work?

Thanks for the quick reply
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/29/08 02:48 PM
I had a hum at one point in a 500 I owned so I removed the ground screw and it went away. No, you don't have to leave the screw in place for the sub to work. Normally you don't want to remove the screw, and address the hum in other ways.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/29/08 02:54 PM
I've tried pretty much everything else I can think of and I'm going crazy at this point . You guys know I've been dealing with this hum for a long time, interestingly enough it wasn't apparent until I upgraded to my 3808 from my 3801.
Posted By: myrison Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/29/08 04:18 PM
Did you also try a cheater plug? (3 prong to 2 prong plug adapter?)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/29/08 06:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
I've tried pretty much everything else I can think of and I'm going crazy at this point . You guys know I've been dealing with this hum for a long time, interestingly enough it wasn't apparent until I upgraded to my 3808 from my 3801.

When you upgraded your receiver, did you add any new equipment or add/change any cables within your system.

You can pick up a cheater plug for a couple of dollars at your local hardware store if you have not tried that option already?

Here is an article that could help you as well.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/180767.html
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Subwoofer issues - 11/30/08 06:21 PM
Thanks guys, I haven't added anything new since changing receivers. I think I'll have to spend some time with a buddy of mine trying the subwoofer in different outlets, and I'll also pick up a isolation transformer similar to the one provided in the link above from Doc.

I will say that I didn't notice a hum after removing the ground screw from the subwoofer but I was under slight duress from the cleaning lady.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Subwoofer issues - 12/03/08 02:35 AM
Have you tried the simple cheater plug option?
© Axiom Message Boards